Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Simple excuse lets you walk away from speeding fine without points
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
The Slithy Tove
No doubt this piece of rubbish is syndicated across many of the Get<YourCountyHere> web sites:
https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/uk-world-n...u-walk-18559899

As is often stated here, special reasons not to endorse isn't as easy as they are trying to make out. And given that you'd have to reject the COFP of £100/3 points (assuming that was offered) and go to a contested trial, you are gambling with a lot more that £100 when (rather than if) you lose and end up with an earnings related fine, plus costs, plus victim surcharge.

Oh, and speeding up rather than slowing down when being tailgated isn't really recommended, or a convincing argument to put to the bench.
The Rookie
Patterson....not at all predictable, no siree.

Significant mismatch between the success rate implied by the title and the details in the text I'd suggest.
QUOTE (The Slithy Tove @ Wed, 8 Jul 2020 - 14:57) *
No doubt this piece of rubbish is syndicated across many of the Get<YourCountyHere> web sites:
https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/uk-world-n...u-walk-18559899

As is often stated here, special reasons not to endorse isn't as easy as they are trying to make out. And given that you'd have to reject the COFP of £100/3 points (assuming that was offered) and go to a contested trial, you are gambling with a lot more that £100 when (rather than if) you lose and end up with an earnings related fine, plus costs, plus victim surcharge.

Oh, and speeding up rather than slowing down when being tailgated isn't really recommended, or a convincing argument to put to the bench.

More than not "really recommended", it is the exact opposite of the DVSA's guidance.
Fredd
QUOTE (666 @ Wed, 8 Jul 2020 - 16:10) *
More than not "really recommended", it is the exact opposite of the DVSA's guidance.

Do you have a link to DVSA guidance on this?
andy_foster
The IAM's guidance (which is largely from translating Roadcraft into English) is that you cannot control the gap behind you, only the gap in front* of you - if somebody is tailgating you, you should increase the gap in front of you by backing off so that if the vehicle in front of you brakes suddenly, you can respond less suddenly enabling the tw*t behind you to avoid going into the back of you.

*Obviously you cannot control the gap in front of you on the motorway as if you leave a sensible sized gap, some f*cktard will pull in front of you and then ease off to create a far bigger gap in front of him than the one he stole from you
cp8759
I read "A lawyer has revealed..." more as "A lawyer is looking to drum up some business...", it's not as if they've just got a landmark judgment. Why did they "revel" this now, rather than last week or next month?
Fredd
QUOTE (andy_foster @ Wed, 8 Jul 2020 - 21:32) *
The IAM's guidance (which is largely from translating Roadcraft into English) is that you cannot control the gap behind you, only the gap in front* of you - if somebody is tailgating you, you should increase the gap in front of you by backing off so that if the vehicle in front of you brakes suddenly, you can respond less suddenly enabling the tw*t behind you to avoid going into the back of you.

Yes, I've seen that guidance from organisations other than DVSA, and I've taken some pleasure in applying it myself (although my observation has been that the kind of w***er who'd tailgate you in the first place is also likely to react aggressively to being slowed down by you backing off). However I'd never seen DVSA advise it, hence my question.
QUOTE (Fredd @ Wed, 8 Jul 2020 - 20:59) *
QUOTE (666 @ Wed, 8 Jul 2020 - 16:10) *

Do you have a link to DVSA guidance on this?

No, it's in hard copy in "Driving - the Essential Skills" (page 140 in the 7th edition), which is part of the curriculum for the theory test. The advice is essentially the same as the IAM's , but supported by different reasoning.

"When a vehicle behind is driving too close to you, ease off very gradually, and increase the gap between you and the vehicle in front. This will give you more time to react if the driver ahead should slow down or stop suddenly."
The Rookie
My favourite was watching a Wayne in an Astra GTE (dates it a bit) tailgate and harass what I knew was an unmarked cop car, Kent having kept some Mk2 Granada’s ex motorway cars until well into the 90’s as unmarked cars. The cop car finished the pass and pulled back into lane 1, the Astra booted it and is it came level the driver realised there was a copper in dayglo and cap driving, slowed like he’d thrown an anchor out, anyway copped pulled him off at the next off slip.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.