Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can this digital GATSO catch me from the oncoming direction?
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
warningspeedcameralimit30
I overtook a cyclist at this speed camera yesterday (https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3691277,-1....3312!8i6656).

I was going in the direction towards the front of the speed camera, and I overtook with my car roughly halfway across the center hashed line section. It's possible that I was speeding, but I did not see any flash. However, the sun was in my eyes, so it probably would have been very difficult to see any flash (if there was one) anyway. Is it possible that I could be prosecuted for speeding despite moving towards it? Are these GATSOs home office approved for oncoming traffic?

Note that there's also the small auxiliary flash unit on the other side, not sure if that would effect anything. It's also interesting that the GATSO is in the middle, not at the side.

Edit: Just to be clear, I was moving towards the front 'face' of the GATSO (the side that has the flash, radar, etc openings).
Jlc
Yes, you could. That type of camera is triggered by buried sensors and can operate bi-directionally.
QUOTE (Jlc @ Fri, 29 May 2020 - 20:30) *
Yes, you could. That type of camera is triggered by buried sensors and can operate bi-directionally.

Are you sure? How come it has what appears to be a radar detector slot? If it can operate in both directions, the flash would blind oncoming drivers (unlike a Truvelo which has a filter on the flash). Also the calibration certificates don't mention sensors anywhere (warwickshire police).

I can't find anything about GATSOs using sensors in the road, those are only used by Truvelos and SpeedCurbs to my knowledge.
I found this:

https://www.warwickshire.police.uk/SysSiteA...arwickshire.pdf

It seems that it is a "Gatsometer BV Type 24+AUS - One Way".

Pretty sure type 24 is radar?
Jlc
Yup, you're right - thought it was a speed curb.

You shouldn't hear anything...
QUOTE (Jlc @ Fri, 29 May 2020 - 21:35) *
Yup, you're right - thought it was a speed curb.

You shouldn't hear anything...

How can you be sure? Can't they just use the white lines on the road as photographic evidence of speeding and go from there? (assuming it did actually flash)
southpaw82
QUOTE (warningspeedcameralimit30 @ Fri, 29 May 2020 - 21:45) *
How can you be sure?

You’ve found the answer yourself, someone has confirmed it for you - what more do you want? They have 14 days to get an NIP to the registered keeper, so I guess you won’t be happy for a few weeks.
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Fri, 29 May 2020 - 22:13) *
How can you be sure?

You’ve found the answer yourself, someone has confirmed it for you - what more do you want? They have 14 days to get an NIP to the registered keeper, so I guess you won’t be happy for a few weeks.

I'm wondering how they have confirmed it. In my view if they have two photos that show I am speeding, even if the camera is not intended to capture oncoming traffic photos, then that is sufficient for prosecution. I'm waiting for someone to prove me wrong.

I've not found any conclusion, all that has been ascertained is that GATSOs are designed to take photos of passing traffic on the camera's side. The original question still remains, being are two photos of my vehicle speeding in the opposite direction sufficient for prosecution. I was hoping that there would be historic cases on this forum that other members may be able to recall, or otherwise suggest what may likely happen if I did trigger the camera. Are GATSOs home office type approved for opposite moving traffic, or does that not matter?

And just to be clear, I was moving towards the front 'face' of the GATSO (the side that has the flash, radar, etc openings).
The Rookie
They may not have any photos, it may have a dummy flash and basic radar unit installed, designed to scare people and act as a deterrent.
TryOut
QUOTE (warningspeedcameralimit30 @ Fri, 29 May 2020 - 22:23) *
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Fri, 29 May 2020 - 22:13) *
How can you be sure?

I'm wondering how they have confirmed it. In my view if they have two photos that show I am speeding, even if the camera is not intended to capture oncoming traffic photos, then that is sufficient for prosecution. I'm waiting for someone to prove me wrong.

I've not found any conclusion, all that has been ascertained is that GATSOs are designed to take photos of passing traffic on the camera's side. The original question still remains, being are two photos of my vehicle speeding in the opposite direction sufficient for prosecution. I was hoping that there would be historic cases on this forum that other members may be able to recall, or otherwise suggest what may likely happen if I did trigger the camera. Are GATSOs home office type approved for opposite moving traffic, or does that not matter?

And just to be clear, I was moving towards the front 'face' of the GATSO (the side that has the flash, radar, etc openings).

You seem to want chapter and verse, here it is.
The mobile Gatso is Type Approved for oncoming vehicles, the fixed unit is not.
Can the evidence from a fixed Gatso Be used for oncoming traffic? Yes it can but not under the Road Traffic Offenders Act section 20 route. It would need a section 9 Criminal Justice Act statement.
Will a prosecution be led via a S9 statement? Dry unlikely but not impossible.
It is a commonly held misunderstanding that speed measuring devices MUST be Type Approved, they do not. Just look at those drivers who have been convicted on dashcam and CCTV evidence. Some went to jail. No Type Approval in this speed measurements.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.