Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCN for on road parking by Reading hospital, used Ringo to purchase ticket
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Ticketynoo4
Hi there, looking for some advice regarding a recent PCN.
I purchased a ticket for on road parking by Reading Hospital via the Ringo website. I didn't realise at the time and despite entering my car reg when registering on the Ringo site, it only referenced the make of my car for the car parking ticket and not my car reg.
The PCN is from Reading Council but in the small print it says it is issued by NSL Services and on behalf of Reading Council.

I received a PCN as they could not see a ticket against my car reg, they stated the following contravention on the PCN - Parked in a residents or shared use parking place or zone without clearly displaying a permit or voucher or pay and display ticket issued for that place Code 12.

I sent Reading Council proof that I had purchased a ticket (I did not detail who was driving the vehicle) but they have declined my appeal saying it was not sufficient grounds to cancel the PCN. In the letter to me Reading Council acknowledge I have purchased a ticket however they argue that it is only associated to the make of car not my car reg, the wording in the letter is "Upon further investigation, I can confirm a parking session was purchased; however the vehicle registration number associated with the session was CAR MAKE. The penalty Charge notice was served correctly to CAR REG"

Can I appeal this further because I have clearly bought a ticket which they acknowledge, but have had an error with the Ringo website which I was not aware of when I left the vehicle.
The sign off the letter stating if I wish to dispute the PCN the registered keeper will be sent a notice to owner who may make formal representation against the PCN. Consideration will be given to any formal Representation and, if the council decides to reject the registered keepers formal representation they may appeal to the independent adjudicator. The registered keeper can only appeal to the independent adjudicator when this statutory process has been followed.

Any help is really appreciated as I really want to avoid paying the fine as I did purchase a ticket.
Many Thanks in advance
The Rookie
I’ve asked a Mod to move this to the council and decriminalised forum which is the correct one for a ........ PCN.
Ticketynoo4
Sorry about that, thank you for requesting the move to correct forum.
stamfordman
Reading is one of the bad councils that doesn't have leeway for even first time honest mistakes with pay by phone. You can try and hit them with duty to obey government fairness guidelines at the formal stage but you'll be risking the full penalty.

However, I don't understand what went wrong with the Ringgo app - there's no way it should have processed a parking session with no car reg. Try an enquiry to Ringgo about this.

Is it really possible that it processed a session with the make fo a car instead of a car reg? What is the car make?

Do you have any screenshots?
Ticketynoo4
Gutted was hoping this was a strong case to appeal the PCN as I purchased a ticket. Thanks for the feedback and I have reluctantly paid the fine.
I have sent a follow up email to Ringo based on your feedback asking how this can happen and what compensation they offer, probably F'all.
hcandersen
Shame.

I think this applies:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/56...20150561_en.pdf

They acknowledge that car make *** purchased a parking session for the location. It would then be for an adjudicator to decide on the balance of probabilities whether you paid the charge for the vehicle in question because the contravention relates to not paying the charge.

But it's too late now.
stamfordman
Yes that was premature paying before we'd even seen the docs. Reading is responsible if something goes wrong with the app that isn't your fault.

It's been mooted for some time here that the VRM should not be necessary as per HCA's point but I don't think we've seen successful appeals at the tribunal.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.