Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First class post?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
adc999
Hi -

I received a nip (in time) this morning by Mailsort. (speeding 54/40, portsmouth, Hampshire Constabulary). I'm wondering if this can be classed as first class post? I have read the Royal Mail stuff about Mailsort and there is an option for next day delivery, although this is not referred to on their site as "First Class".

Thoughts?

Regards
Andrew
g_attrill
Interesting.... Mailsort 1 is "targetted next day delivery" but definately not described as "first class" postage.

I'm not sure how it might affect items delivered well within 14 days, but if I received an item after the 14th day but which was posted on the 13th and might have normally arrived on the 14th, I would argue that Mailsort 1 should not have been used in that instance. It is possible that they use normal franked post for items posted late.

Gareth
firefly
I don't really know much about Mailsort. Can anyone enlighten us as to what class it comes under?
Mika
Having consulted some who knows about Mailsort, it is not straightforward. Are you able to scan and post a copy of the envelope?
Ocelot
"If you send large volumes of mail in the UK our Mailsort™ products could interest you. "

Yes, I'll bet they send out large volumes of mail!
firefly
I've just spoken to a former postman, who says that Mailsort is not given the same priority as first class.

Fill in the NIP wizard for us: you may be onto a good thing here. Also, I wonder if they're doing this en masse?
Broadsword
I've just spoken to their customer helpline and copied this from their webpage.

It would appear that Mailsort 1 provides the same level of service as first class (and is consequently more expensive that the other Mailsort services)

The envelope will indicate which of the Mailsort services that the CTO have used, knowing that they are tight fisted they've probably gone for one of the cheaper services biggrin.gif

To match your deadlines and budget, there’s
a choice of delivery speeds:

Mailsort™ 1

For letters and packets targeted for delivery
the next working day after the day of posting.

Mailsort™ 2

within three working days after the day of posting.

Mailsort™ 3

within seven working days after the day of posting.

Mailsort™ 3 Deferred

This enables you to prepare and lodge a mailing
in advance – any time between seven and 28
days before you want us to start delivering your
mail. We’ll then deliver your mail within five
working days from the agreed date.
g_attrill
I've dragged out the latest wording:

(3) In section 1 of the [1988 c. 53.]Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 (which requires warning of prosecution for certain offences to be given), after subsection (1), there shall be inserted the following subsection—

"(1A) A notice required by this section to be served on any person may be served on that person—

(a) by delivering it to him;

(b) by addressing it to him and leaving it at his last known address; or

© by sending it by registered post, recorded delivery service or first class post addressed to him at his last known address.

Now, would Mailsort 1 be deemed to be "first class post" unsure.gif

I think it would be the level of service that is important, because for instance "registered post" is a generic description currently called "Special Delivery.

If Mailsort 1 is treated as first class post in every respect, then I think a court challenge would be fruitless, but if, for instance, a cage of Mailsort 1 would be delayed in preference to a cage of first class stamped or franked mail then it would be interesting...

I suspect you would need some evidence from the Royal Mail as to how they are handled. It would be the official line that is important - you could ask somebody at a depot but even if they admitted that Mailsort 1 is regularly delayed it probably wouldn't hold any water if the official line is different.
adc999
Hi - I'm really sorry I have led you all up the garden path. Having sifted through a rather manky rubbish bag I find the real envelope it came in. It turns out the mailsort envelope contained some junk mail. My humblest apologies for wasting your time.

The bit that got me curious enough to sift through my rubbish was the minimum quantity of mail required to qualify for mailsort.

Regards
Andrew
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.