Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCN Bus Lane Contravention - Vastern Rd (North Side 2) Reading
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
jpsid
My son has managed to acquire a bus lane contravention and I would like to know if, based on the PCN and evidence attached and Google Maps link to the location/signage, if he has grounds to appeal that the alleged contravention did not occur. As with most of these bus lanes the prior road signage is small, poor and inadequate and this bus lane is on the right-hand side of a carriageway which makes it even more easier to miss and inadvertently drive into when you're taking a right exit at the roundabout it joins. It was dark, wet with poor visibility and no other traffic so there is nothing to be gained from entering a bus lane which he was not aware that he had until he received the PCN.

I would be grateful for any advice, thank you.

Attached:
- Copy PCN letter
- Photographic Evidence
- Video Evidence is also available

Location: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4614395,-...3312!8i6656

Incandescent
If you go back in GSV which is for the same month a year ago and approach the bus lane, this shows the trees in the centre reservation obscure the bus lane sign. If you combine this with the conditions you describe, you should have a reasonable case to take to adjudication. I say this because Reading are well known as a venal council so won't accept reps on this basis. Problem is you'd have to forego the discount option.
jpsid
Thanks. I was planning on suggesting he pay the discounted £30.00 then appeal with a view to getting it reimbursed.
cp8759
QUOTE (jpsid @ Mon, 14 Oct 2019 - 16:13) *
Thanks. I was planning on suggesting he pay the discounted £30.00 then appeal with a view to getting it reimbursed.

If you could do that, everybody would appeal everything. You either pay, or challenge, you can't do both as the discount is offered as an incentive to those who accept liability without putting a burden on the appeals system.

That being said, I would never pay a Reading PCN as their PCN wording is flawed, and they don't know how to deal with representations properly. Have a look at grounds 3 and 4 of this appeal I drafter yesterday http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?s=&...t&p=1522370

That being said, I would go back and get some photos of the signage to establish whether it is obscured by the tress.
Incandescent
+1
The essential point apropos the alleged contravention is obscured signage, so you need to check this out. Obviously there is CP8759's point on the PCN content, and also their poor management of bus lane enforcement.
jpsid
Thanks all. An appeal was emailed yesterday based on inadequate, poor, small signage on approach which is also obscured by trees, plus weather and road conditions that night, raining and dark, make it impossible to see and to know that there was a bus lane ahead and/or had been entered. Also the unusual location of a bus lane on the right-hand side of a carriageway is confusing. Also stated there was no other traffic on the road so nothing to be gained at all from using that lane, had he known it was a bus lane, which he did not.

I emailed the appeal via the parking.reading.gov.uk website but have not received an email acknowledgement so don't know if it's been received or not, even though the final page of the submission said "Thank you for your email...." and there is nothing under the PCN details to say an appeal has been made. Looks like I'll have to call in the morning!
cp8759
We normally advise that you post a draft here before sending it off, but what's done is done. Once you get the inevitable rejection letter, don't do anything without showing us first.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.