Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scottish NIP, 31 days after, advice please?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
jim84
Hi,

Any advice and help people can give me would be greatly appreciated.

I live in Manchester but was on holiday in Scotland. I could have sworn that the section of road is 50mph, but it appears the part where the camera was drops to 40mph. So inevitably I was caught doing 50mph in a 40mph zone. nobody stopped me on the day, and until yesterday I hadnt got a clue that I had even been speeding. So that means the NIP arrived 33 days after the incident, and is dated 31 days after (sen 2nd class post).

So on the face of it the NIP is time expired. However only bought the car 6 days before the incident, and am certain i sent of the registration documents on the 22nd june (four days before the incident), my v5 shows that i was registered as the owner on the 28th june.

I plan to send my own version of the RAC letter, as there is no mention of having contacted the previous registered owner.

If theres anyone with experience of this sort of scenario or extra advice you can give me id be very grateful.

nip wizard below:

NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? - Lothian and Borders Police
Date of the offence: - June 2006
Date of the NIP: - 31 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 33 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - A90 Road, edinburgh between Burnshot Flyover and Cammo Road
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - Second
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - Mobile Speed Camera Van using Lt 20/20. Was on a downhill section of dual carraigeway head South, the van was parked at the bottom of the dip. I had only bought the vehicle on the 20th June 2006, but had sent of the V5 etc to the DVLA only two days later. the date on my V5 shows that it was processed on the 28th June.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - Scotland
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - No
Was there a valid reason for the NIP's late arrival? - Unsure
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • Complete the form, but return it unsigned.

Thanks
Jim
crystal
Hi,

4 day before almost centainly means that the address the DVLA gave out was the old one. So this NIP would be the second and therefore valid.

Can you contactthe previous keeper to ask ?

Regards
Crystal
jim84
I can contact the dealer I bought it from as technically they would be the previous keeper I guess, since the previous keeper shown on my V5 should have surrendered liability to the dealer when the dealer took possession on the car?.

I still have more than 3 weeks remaining so may send the rac time-expired letter to see what response i get then if it comes to it i can still bite the bullet and fully fill out the section 172 form before the 28 days are up.

can anyone else advise please?

Jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.