Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 nips received, same day - different drivers
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
sauerkraut
hi, I'm new here but have been reading a lot of posts and the information you guys provide is fantastic. but I need some advice perhaps.

on the 12th july I travelled home, I met my mother half way because I had to meet friends in Newport (I won't go into the reasons why). instead of leaving the car in Newport I let my mother drive it back home (near Swansea) - I was to get a lift a few days afterwards. anyway, there were 2 different drivers on that one day. after spending 2 weeks staying at my parents' house in South Wales I returned home to Nottingham to 2 NIPs. I am the RK but my mother is fully insured to drive it also.

the NIP wizard wouldn't work for me (I use the safari browser) so here is information from both NIPs:

the first is from Gwent Police which is dated 18/07/06 detailing my excess speed (87mph) on the A449 Llantrissent Nr Usk.

the second is from South Wales Police which is dated 17/07/06 detailing my mother's excess speed (85mph) on the M4 between JNC 34 Miskin and JNC 35 Pencoed.

having discussed it between us we established we were both caught by mobile vans. both locations appear on the speed camera uk site.

I haven't sent the NIPs back but intend to do so. neither my mother or I have any points on our respective licenses. we are both happy to pay the fines and receive 3 points each. will we need to send PACEs? is this a good idea? I don't really understand why we would need to do so? as we are going to accept the points and admit we are guilty do you think the police will leave it at that? will they start to question the photographic evidence? these things are starting to go through my head.. my mother and I look very similar. to be honest this whole thing is causing chaos in my life at the moment. I've lost sleep over it thinking we will go to court. I have no experience. as a young driver (it's been almost 2 years) if I get another NIP I will lose my license.

I have read a lot of topics on this forum so please don't have a go at me for asking seemingly stupid questions! there isn't another site like this out there and would really appreciate any help or words of reassurance you guys can offer.

this whole thing is enough of a deterrence for both of us to lay off the gas!

thank you.
crystal
Hi,

If you feel you want to accept the 3 points and fine without anyone having to prove you guility then if you fill in the forms you will almost centainly get a conditional offer by return post and fill that it. The photos are not for idenifying the driver but the car so no worries there.
If they do investigate and you are lying the penalty may well invole a prison sentance so do not gothere.

This being a fightback forum we tend to make sure all the correct procedures have been followed and that the NIP was legal etc. The PACE statement is only appropiate to those who wish to challange the system.
For more information see the FAQ

Have a read around before doing anything so you know your options.

One thing to consider is if you fight this and win great. if you loose you will still have a licence if you wait till next time you maybe fighting for your licence
Regards
Crystal

The Nip wizard questionn are
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: -
Date of the NIP: -
Date you received the NIP: -
Was the NIP addressed to you? -
What isthe location as shown on the NIP (exactly) -
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? -
How many current points do you have? -

Have you received a NIP? -
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? -
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? -
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? -
Were you driving? -
sauerkraut
thank you for your reply crystal. I'm not lying. I'm just a natural born worrier.

I realise that these forums exist for people to fight the scammers, but I just wanted a little reassurance perhaps from people who knew more about it than me. I guess I'm freaking out a bit.
Slowpoke
Calm down, the world's not going to end.

As I understand it, you've received two NIPS, you're the Registered Keeper, you were driving on one occasion and your mum was driving on the other.

You don't want to fight the system? So, fill in your details on the NIP relevant to you, and your mum's details on the NIP relevant to her.

OR, you could give us the info detailed by crystal, for both NIPs, and we'll see if there's a fightback available for you and mum.

Your choice, really. Rollover or fightback. But the world still isn't going to end because of this.
stu14t
As crystal says, this is a forum for people who wish to challenge the system. If you are happy to take it on the chin, then that is your choice.

If the story you tell is true and you and your mother fill in your respective nips, that is more or less it. You will each get your fines and points, end of story!

For your info, the pictures are to identify the vehicle only and not the driver; they cannot be used to see who was driving (or see if it was you or your mother at the wheel)

As for your points, you can get another 3 points, a total of 6 are ok on new drivers, it will be the 7th point that ends in a ban / re-test.

What we try and do here is to offer assistance to those people who need advice to help the unjust manor most motorists are treated by the system, all the way up to some very technical defences. As you have described this has caused you some distress and this is a very minor "Brush" with the law and it has made you feel like a criminal and for what? Now, you will probably spend more time trying to second guess where cameras are rather than looking at the road. You may also inadvertently stray over the limit, as all motorists do from time to time and end up in the same boat.

Try not to worry too much, things are not that bad but if we can offer assistance then fill in The NIP Wizard and we will try and assist you further.

Stu
patdavies
QUOTE (stu14t @ Sat, 29 Jul 2006 - 21:02) *
As for your points, you can get another 3 points, a total of 6 are ok on new drivers, it will be the 7th point that ends in a ban / re-test.

Wrong

6 or more points will result in an automatic revocation by the DVLA of the licence; it reverts to provisional until another test is passed - there is no ban by the DVLA.
stu14t
QUOTE (patdavies @ Sun, 30 Jul 2006 - 00:01) *
QUOTE (stu14t @ Sat, 29 Jul 2006 - 21:02) *

Wrong

6 or more points will result in an automatic revocation by the DVLA of the licence; it reverts to provisional until another test is passed - there is no ban by the DVLA.

I stand corrected!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.