Full Version: speeding possible ticket
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
singe
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? - Kent
Date of the offence: - July 2006
Date of the NIP: - 0 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 0 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - A21 strectch from Sevenoaks to Tonridge, just after the layby
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - NK
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - I was pulled over by the police on A21 near Tonbridge.
The policeman (there were two) said did I know I was speeding, I said Iwasn;t really concentrating. He said that is worse. I explained I have just been to a meeting where I have been told I was being made redundant. The policeman explained I should have seen him flash the van before me, who pulled in quite quickly. I carreied on up to 100 mph, and it goes into 50 zone over a brdige. He said I did not make any attempt to slow down. He said I was doing up to 110mph, but that did genuinely suprise me. He went back and checked my detaisl confirming I have no points on my licence. I've never been pulled for speeding before. Noted that I drove a lot, and that I am local. He said it would go to court, but I would get 3 ponits and small fine. He said both police had seen the speeds I was doing.
My wife is pregnant and when I elave my job we will oly have one car.
Not having a car will make it very difficult for me to attend interviews and actually obtaina job, and affect my child if it continues that far.

Did he take pity on me and not note doing over 100 mph? Why would he way that I was.
Did he just say that becasue having said I want't
he kept his sunglasses on.
He said two officers had seen me.
It is only by reading this site that I have realised I had a verbal NIP.

How long does a court summons take normally?.

Many thanks a great site.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • Complete the PACE witness statement.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v1.0.2: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 09:49:41 +0100

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These are the answers you've given so far:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
The Rookie
Sorry to hear your tail of woe.....

You have as you say recieved a verba NIP.
Its not clear how they detected you, I am assuming you were in a car and they followed you, or you passed them?

You will have to await any summons and then post back to get the best advice, as at the moment there is little you can go except to make some 'contemporaneous' notes so if/when it does go to court you know what was said and when!

Simon
singe
Thanks Rookie,
Iappreciate the reply.
I think I must have passed them, but they said they followed me for what must be a couple of miles, but I really wasn't sure, I was a bit dazed, and bricking it when they pulled me over.

Apologies for the typos!
singe
May I ask another question?

The offier could see I was very shaken and said I would only get a fine and 3 pooints. I am almost 100% sure he said i would because he said it would not be the end of the world, he was quite reassuring.

Does this increase the likelihood I will get a conditional offer?

I appreciate there is not much to go on at the moment.
g_attrill
QUOTE (singe @ Thu, 27 Jul 2006 - 11:10) *
May I ask another question?

The offier could see I was very shaken and said I would only get a fine and 3 pooints. I am almost 100% sure he said i would because he said it would not be the end of the world, he was quite reassuring.

Does this increase the likelihood I will get a conditional offer?

By the way he spoke, he might have decided to report you for under 100mph in the 50. By the sounds of it, it was the not slowing down in the 50 that caused him to act, so reporting you for 100 outside the limit would be unlikely.

I am pretty sure it will go to court though, if he was going to offer a fixed penalty he would have done it there and then. 3 points is possible, but it depends on the speed they report, and what mood the magistrates are in (yes really!). You can explain the circumstances to the mag's and they will take it into account. If you do get a ban I would be very suprised if it is longer than 28 days. It will probable take a few weeks for the summons to come through though, and the hearing might be a month or two after that.

Gareth
crystal
Hi,

They have 6 months from the date of the offence to lay the information before the court (so it can be a couple of weeks after that before you actually receive it.
As you have been pulled over I would expect it to be quicker than that.
What happens will depend on exactly what you have been reported for, when you get the summons post back.

Regards
Crystal
singe
Thanks Crystal and g_attrill, (rookies earlier)
It has cleared up a few things I was uncertain of, and a bit of info what to expect.

I will update this when I get the summons.
singe
Just a minor update.
It's nearly two months since, and I have not heard anything.

As mentioned by crystal, they have 6 months. Does the fact they have not done anything so far make it likely to be worse or better, do you think?

Obviously, I dread the post every day. But the good news is I ahve a new job, starting tommrow, and I will travel by train.

Cheers
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.