Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCN Islington 38JL
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
neverlosty
Hi,

I've been sent a PCN for 38JL - "Failing to comply with a sign indicating that vehicular traffic must pass to the specified side of the sign".

Here is a copy of the PCN:
https://imgur.com/a/g6oZPyi

I drove around it because I wasn't sure if I was going to fit.
After searching online, I was correct in my original assumption.

This is my vehicle specifications:
https://www.volvocars.com/uk/cars/new-model...ions/dimensions

Specifically, the width of my car (not including mirrors) is 2008mm.
This translates to 79 inches.

The sign on that road said 6 foot 6 inches:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Islingt...33;4d-0.1049534

This translates to 78 inches.

Had I tried to drive through that, I would have damaged my car.

My car is a normal road legal car (under 3 tonnes), not a truck. There were vehicles behind me so I wasn't able to back out.
Would I have any arguments to say that I had no other choice but to drive through the other side?

Thanks in advance!
stamfordman
It's the width at the wheels that counts and your car, big though it is, would have gone through with care. There are a few Land Rovers and SUVs though that are too wide at the wheels.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/05/cars-t...worst-offenders

I can't see Islington cancelling this unless there's a flaw on the PCN.
Mad Mick V
The OP makes a good argument as to why the traffic management purpose of this chicane is illogical. It was meant to stop trucks and vans using that road as a rat run.

If a car is too large then the purpose of the restriction is defeated. It is not the type of vehicle which the prohibition targets.

I doubt there will be a flaw in the documentation but I would certainly submit a challenge as the OP has suggested and ask the Council to exercise its discretion and cancel the PCN.

If they reject I would pay this at the discount.

Mick
neverlosty
Thanks guys, I'm going to give it a go. But not expecting any miracles.
cp8759
I think this argument is doomed. If the restriction is 6'6'' and your car is 6'7'' then your car is too wide for the restriction and you should find another route. Attacking the traffic management purposes of the restrictions is never going to work.
stamfordman
QUOTE (cp8759 @ Wed, 24 Jul 2019 - 16:33) *
I think this argument is doomed. If the restriction is 6'6'' and your car is 6'7'' then your car is too wide for the restriction and you should find another route. Attacking the traffic management purposes of the restrictions is never going to work.

+1 - Islington is not going to cancel this.

Personally I live near here and we could do with fewer SUVs around - they are not designed for narrow city streets.
neverlosty
As mentioned, I'm not expecting any miracles, but I've sent a letter anyway.

I just find it a bit unfair, as there's no advanced warning that this was coming up.
I had cars behind me, and the street is obviously too narrow to turn around quickly in my car.
Never been in this area before, and will never go there again, but GPS took me through this route.

I feel like there should be warning signs BEFORE you enter the road telling you that you should be less than 6'6" to enter these streets, NOT when you hit one of these restrictions.
WASPIE
Nerverlosty....
I got caught by a similar cash cow in Englefield Road a few years back. Delving into the FOI's for this particular motoring ATM even then it was raising £300,000+ a year so
Islington are going to do sod all about pre-warning motorists from avoiding these little 'earners'.
stamfordman
QUOTE (WASPIE @ Sat, 27 Jul 2019 - 10:02) *
I got caught by a similar cash cow in Englefield Road a few years back. Delving into the FOI's for this particular motoring ATM even then it was raising £300,000+ a year so
Islington are going to do sod all about pre-warning motorists from avoiding these little 'earners'.

There are 'width limit ahead' signs at both ends of Englefield.
WASPIE
Point taken SM...not sure if the single sign was there back in 2008? One thing I am sure of is that the infra red assistance sitting below the camera at the Essex Road end at the junction with Crowland Terrace WAS NOT there in 2008...god forbid anyone gets away at night for some reason!!
I remember in 2008 Ockendon Road was basically the same, but there the actual middle in between the two width restrictions was physically impossible to drive through as it was raised and edged with kerbs. I see that has now been made into a cash cow with the middle bit flattened so that the 'not so attentive' motorist can be relieved of the £80
in their wallets. Why the difference in widths I ask...Ockendon is 7'2"...Englefield 6'6"
Any way,thankfully I don't have to drive in that god awful City anymore.
neverlosty
To give an update for anyone else stumbling across this.

I've had a response from Islington (after approximately 20 working days), and it was not successful.
cp8759
Show us the response in full, all sides of all pages. Redact only your name, address and number plate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.