Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Letter about using a mobile phone and failing to stop
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
shoadam
Hi..

I received a letter the other day from Metropolitan Police regarding notice of intended prosecution for 'Fail to stop a mechanically propelled vehicle when required by constable / traffic warden & 'Using a handheld moble phone / device while driving a motor vehicle on a road'

I have no idea what this is about and i am very confused on what to do now.. What could of possible happened?
Jlc
I presume there's a request to name the driver?

QUOTE (shoadam @ Wed, 17 Jul 2019 - 14:10) *
I have no idea what this is about and i am very confused on what to do now.. What could of possible happened?

The driver was on the phone and didn't stop for the officer?
Logician
Presumably the NIP gives time, date and location? Were you driving or was someone else, or was the car not there at all?
andy_foster
Did you receive a NIP, or a 'letter regarding a NIP'?
shoadam
Yes there is a request to name the driver.

Im not sure at the top of the letter it says ' NOTICE OF INTENDED PROSECUTION ' it then says request for driver information.
cp8759
Right, so you must reply by naming the driver. Were you driving the car at the time and place in question?
The Rookie
QUOTE (shoadam @ Thu, 18 Jul 2019 - 13:35) *
Yes there is a request to name the driver.

I'm not sure at the top of the letter it says ' NOTICE OF INTENDED PROSECUTION ' it then says request for driver information.

What you have is two documents in one, a Notice of intention to prosecute and a section 172 request to name the driver, while they are separate legal entities much of the same information is needed in both and so the two are often (almost always) combined into one 'letter'.
shoadam
Ok.. is there not anyway to see the evidence as i am so confused?
The Rookie
What evidence do you expect that they have? It may only be a witness statement You could ask for any photographs they have in order to help you confirm the drivers ID and they may or may not provide something.

Right now you are only being asked the driver ID, this isn't admitting anything else at all.
nosferatu1001
No, you have to say who was driving, at that place and time. If you dont, you commit a different offence.
southpaw82
You’re not entitled to any evidence at this stage. As the allegation wasn’t captured on camera (so far as we know) it is unlikely that the police will provide anything. You could phone and ask but the call handler may well not know the details.
shoadam
Thank you guys and sorry for late reply.

So i must sign and send off the form? What happens after this ?

The thing is i was stopped by police around a month ago and also this month and they said there is two different insurances on this vehicle which they said could mean the plate was cloned. I am very confused on what to do right now lol and its worrying aswell
Redivi
Was YOUR vehicle at the location at that time ?
nosferatu1001
If your vehicle wasnt there, at that date and time, then you have to say that

Youcould ask the police for any photos they have to help identify the driver.
QUOTE (nosferatu1001 @ Wed, 24 Jul 2019 - 11:10) *
If your vehicle wasnt there, at that date and time, then you have to say that

Youcould ask the police for any photos they have to help identify the driver.

But don't do both.
BQ68
QUOTE (shoadam @ Wed, 24 Jul 2019 - 10:14) *
The thing is i was stopped by police around a month ago and also this month and they said there is two different insurances on this vehicle which they said could mean the plate was cloned. I am very confused on what to do right now lol and its worrying aswell

Speak to your insurance company then? People that go to the effort to clone plates to get up to all sorts of funny business don't tend to bother even attempting to insure their vehicle against that VRM, strangely.
NeverMind

QUOTE (shoadam @ Wed, 24 Jul 2019 - 10:14) *

When did you buy the vehicle? It could be that a previous owner hasn't cancelled their insurance because they don't want to pay the admin fee!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.