Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Un-updated address leading to clamping
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
hattie_100
Hello all, I'm new to this site and in desperate need of help!

Essentially I have returned home today to find that my car has been clamped and a letter was left on the windscreen stating it has been 'taken control of' by an enforcement agency due to debts to Transport for London. I had heard of no penalty fines or charges from Transport for London whatsoever so was obviously shocked. However the address on the documents was my previous address which I moved out of August 2018.

I have since found out that when I bought the car in February 2018 from a Gumtree seller I only received sections 9-12 of the log book and I was totally unaware of how it worked with updating the DVLA with the address. I assumed (foolishly I now realise) that updating my insurance was enough, this is my first car and I had no idea how it worked. Therefore all the PCNs and bailiffs correspondence has gone to my old address.

The charges are three incidents of stopping on a red route, outside my new house on a Saturday in error as I didn't know the weekend exemption was for Sunday only. Had I known I would have obviously paid off all the fines immediately. But now they have amassed to a total of £1067.

I realise my error in not updating the DVLA however I am going to appeal it regardless. I was hoping for some help with the appeal, this is the text which I was going to submit on the TE9 and TE7 forms for a 'Statement Out of Time' form:

"I purchased my first car on 17/01/2018 from a Gumtree seller, I received the log book and updated it. I assumed I had all the required sections, however I have now realised subsequent to receiving these fines that I only have sections 9-12. I was unaware of the process required to update or change the address of the vehicle, and thought that updating my insurance was all that was required. it was my first car and I did not know the correct procedures. Therefore, when I moved house in August 2018 I did not contact the DVLA to update my log book. I updated my bank and insurance so also did not arrange a forwarding on of my post as this seemed unnecessary.

Due to this I did not receive any of the PCNs relating to the stopping on a red route for which I have now been charged a total of £1067. The clamping of my vehicle was a total shock, I am currently off work due to stress as I work as a prison officer and have been under intense pressure relating to violence in my workplace and personal assault. Furthermore I have recently had a bereavement in my family which has made me a vulnerable individual, which has added to the stress of trying to manage these charges. There is no doubt that I would have immediately paid the PCNs had I known about them, however as I was unaware of the charges completely there was no way in which I could pay for them until this extreme point of crisis."

I have no idea what tone these appeals are meant to have, or the information that needs to be covered so I am aware this might be completely wrong. Any help or feedback from anybody would be thoroughly appreciated. Thank you in advance to this community.
stamfordman
You should have got a full V5C doc in your name and address if PCNs went to that old address.

How much is the car worth.

We recommend the services of https://bailiffadviceonline.co.uk - particularly in the situation you are in.
Neil B
QUOTE (stamfordman @ Wed, 29 May 2019 - 19:46) *
We recommend the services of https://bailiffadviceonline.co.uk - particularly in the situation you are in.

In this instance I agree, especially for TfL who she has particular experience with.

Use the e-mail and put 'Hattie', 'clamped' and 'TfL' in the heading.

I'll alert her to look out for it.

https://bailiffadviceonline.co.uk/contact-bailiff-advice

QUOTE (hattie_100 @ Wed, 29 May 2019 - 18:51) *
by an enforcement agency

Who?
hattie_100
The enforcement agency was JBW Judicial Services Group.

In terms of sending an email, in your experience how quickly do I need to be putting in the appeal? It feels urgent in case my car gets removed and sold, it's not worth anything it's just an old-second hand one.

Thank you for your help so far!!

You should have got a full V5C doc in your name and address if PCNs went to that old address.

I never received a full V5C, I only have sections 9-12 which is why I didn't know about changing the address!
Neil B
QUOTE (hattie_100 @ Thu, 30 May 2019 - 10:57) *
In terms of sending an email, in your experience how quickly

To BAO - immediately.

how quickly do I need to be putting in the appeal?

Firstly, it isn't an 'appeal'; it's an application to the court to file a Witness Statement Out of Time (OOT)

One for each PCN.
The answer is asap but it's pointless doing it without expert help, as above.

It's a difficult situation to be in, we know, but you need to move fast.

You will first need to compile a timeline of all relevant dates. TfL may help with that.

stamfordman
We strongly suggest you call https://bailiffadviceonline.co.uk/contact-bailiff-advice - they only charge a modest fee to sort these out in the best way.

If car is used in your work and is worth less than £1350 then it should be unclamped.
DastardlyDick
The enforcement agency was JBW Judicial Services Group.

In terms of sending an email, in your experience how quickly do I need to be putting in the appeal? It feels urgent in case my car gets removed and sold, it's not worth anything it's just an old-second hand one.

Thank you for your help so far!!

I never received a full V5C, I only have sections 9-12 which is why I didn't know about changing the address!

I think what Stamfordman is trying to say is that DVLA must have issued a V5 in your name (albeit to your old address) otherwise the various correspondence would have gone to the previous keeper at his/her address
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.