Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: infingement of bike area in front of traffic lights
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
mammothd
Can you help...I was travelling in the city of London, doing the required 20 mph.I was approaching a set of traffic light which were amber. Therefore I ws entitled to contiune through them as they weren't red.
My side of the lights, there's a 12 feet (approx) area for bikes to wait in.I'd gone over the bike line, into the bike area, when the lights quickly tirned red.Obviously I couldn't go over a red light, so I was stuck in the bike area.
I'm sure they'll fine me £65 (If I pay within 2 weeks).Is it worth appealing this? It's not as if I went over the line whilst the light was red. I'm sure their video will prove my side of events.
Irksome
Were you stopped at the time? If not don't worry about it.
Jlc
Amber means stop.

There is an exception that if you are so close to the stop line and you cannot stop then you may proceed as if the light was green. By your own description is seems you shouldn’t have continued.

However, if you came to rest without passing the stop line then you are unlikely to hear anything. Indeed, the offence occurs by moving over the advanced stop line (ASL).

These matters are criminal and not dealt with by the council. So more reason if there was no police or red light camera why you won’t hear anything.
QUOTE (mammothd @ Tue, 28 May 2019 - 17:02) *
Can you help...I was travelling in the city of London, doing the required 20 mph.I was approaching a set of traffic light which were amber. Therefore I ws entitled to contiune through them as they weren't red.

No, you weren't. It is an offence for any part of the vehicle to cross the stop line on amber, unless it cannot be done safely.

This includes the advanced stop line, which you did indeed cross.
andy_foster
Do you have any particular reason for believing that you are being prosecuted, or do you simply think that we're so bored we've got nothing better to do than advise on hypothetical situations?
The Rookie
I don’t really know where to start
1/ Amber means stop, you were not entitled to progress across either stop line at all.
2/ The light didn’t suddenly turn red, the amber light was almost certainly lit for 3seconds (plus or minus 0.25s) first as required by law.
3/ you can stop in the ‘cycle box’ if it was unsafe to stop for the advanced stop line but you could stop for the main stop line.
4/ The fixed penalty for failing to stop for an automated traffic signal has never been £65, it used to be £60 and has been £100 for quite some time.
It may be with reading the Highway Code, that answers some of your errors and may resolve the others we don’t yet know about in your understanding.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.