Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [NIP Wizard] What do I do?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Kerryi27
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - January 2019
Date of the NIP: - 100 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 103 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - newcastle bank, Birtley , United Kingdom
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - Not known
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? - it is a company car I use for work
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - i dont remember and wasnt aware of it happening until my employer told me, they then wrote to northumbria policew to tell them that i use the car, I don't know who was driving as myself and partner use the car, the NIP was sent to my old address even though my driving license and insurance has been changed to my new address but my post is being auto forwarded from my old address.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - No
Is the NIP addressed to you personally? - Yes
Although you are not the Registered Keeper, were you the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Unsure
Do you know who was driving? - Unsure who was driving

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 09:03:39 +0000
notmeatloaf
It will probably be best to have one thread as your cases are essentially the same problem and so will get identical advice. Perhaps a mod will merge.

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showtopic=127521
andy_foster
Please ignore the idiot.
We have a very clear "one case, one thread rule" which so far you appear to be following.

As you are not the Registered Keeper, and have been nominated by your employer, the address the police would write to you at whatever address your employer gave them - which is presumably your old address.

Assuming that you are the 'person keeping the vehicle', then you must name the driver, or if you cannot do so, you must provide any information which is in your power to give that might lead to the identification of the driver and then persuade the court that you could not with reasonable diligence work out who was driving.
Kerryi27
can we request photographs as neither of us know and neither of us want the points if they shouldn't be for us.
andy_foster
Yes, you can ask for any photographs they might have to help you to identify who was driving. Received wisdom says not to use words such as "evidence", or to ask for calibration certificates, etc.
Asking for photos does not necessarily stop the 28 day clock for naming the driver, although many forces will allow extra time if they receive meaningful communication.

As has been asked in the thread for your other case, what have you done so far to try to determine who was driving?
NewJudge
Also bear in mind that you are fast approaching the point where a course or fixed penalty (if and as appropriate) will no longer be offered due to the lack of time to prosecute should the offer not be accepted. This is usually four months after the alleged offence after which you will then face the matter being dealt with in court. Whilst it is possible to request the court impose a penalty equivalent to the Fixed Penalty (£100 and three points) for which they have specific guidance in such circumstances, the court is unable to deal with the matter by way of a course. You need to deal with this before your 28 days allowance has elapsed to be sure of avoiding court action.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.