Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Scotland parking fines
FightBack Forums > Queries > Private Parking Tickets & Clamping
Cheekyj
Hi

I know there have been many threads about parking charges in Scotland but I’m a bit of a worrier

I have received two separate parking charge notices.

The first is from Civil Enforcement Ltd for overstaying 2hrs in a free carpark. The ‘offence’ was allegedly committed on 19/12/18 but the first PCN not issued until 04/02/19. I have ignored the letters so far but now have a debt collecting agency letter. I have noticed an error on the address where the private car park is located, the spelling is incorrect, I’m also querying the delay in sending the first pcn.

The second one is from smart parking, the driver paid for a ticket but has overstayed the time. So far only the first pcn has been sent.

I’m querying whether I should respond at all, especially to the first??

Thanks in advance
Glacier2
In Scotland always ignore.
ostell
If they don't know the identity of the driver then they are stuck. They cannot transfer liability to the keeper.
Barkley
There is no ‘offence’ and neither is there a fine. Your ticket was an invoice (a speculative one) and part of the process to part you from your money. Scotland has no ‘Protection Of Freedoms’ Act so the vehicle keeper cannot be made liable. Without knowing and identifying the actual driver, these firms are whistling in the wind. Unless you rack up many tickets it is unlikely they will proceed to court to legitimise the ‘debt’.

You will be sent several debt letters in an attempt to wear down your resistance - the penultimate one usually offers you a discount to pay So resist that too. Just carefully file the correspondence in case you need to refer to it later. Do not respond as this makes it easier for them to identify you and attempt court action.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.