Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Possible Help for a parking fine
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Alz
Hello I have recently has a letter come through from last year with a big price of a Parking ticket I wasn't aware of. I have not had a settled address the last couple of years so have missed all the letters until this was received at a friend's address I was staying at. I am willing to pay but it seems a bit to high as I was never aware of it till today.
Is there any advice anyone can give before I call them up to sort it out?

https://ibb.co/9rgDnT3

Thanks for the help
Alz
Also the address the letter was received I do not actually live there and the person could show proof of that. If that's clears the address I would then be worried about a ccj if that is something they could impose on me.?

Thanks
stamfordman
Letters regarding the PCN (parking ticket) go to the address on the V5C vehicle registration document. Do you have the V5C and what address is on it?

Not updating it to an address where you will always get mail is a problem you must fix as you could also be liable for a criminal offence (eg speeding). It is also a legal requirement. you may well have other PCNs that will catch up with you - bailiffs are good at finding people.

you can't geta CCJ but you could get your car impounded.
hcandersen
a Parking ticket I wasn't aware of

The contravention occurred in a specified car park and a PCN would have been put under your windscreen. This doesn't require anyone to hold your address.

So, was it under your windscreen? (Yes, PCNs can go missing but probably 0.000.....% actually do).

Your car reg?
Time, date and location all tally with you?

In short, was this you?

And why did they choose your friend's address? Are you still using the vehicle concerned and do you park it on their property. They must have linked you to the address somehow.

Anyway, for the input of others..
The letter is advisory and is in 2 parts:
1. They act for the council who have told them you owe £X;
2. They may not have any legal authority to seize property from the address given - 'an application has now been made' as at the date of the letter.

So, why doesn't your friend get back to the bailiffs:
I have been informed by virtue of your letter dated **** addressed to ****** that you might attend at my home and seize property.
For the avoidance of doubt, I am the sole occupier and owner/tenant -whichever applies - of ******* and I have title to all property therein.

If your car is there...move it.
Alz
Hello thanks for the reply. I can not remember back to the certain date but I am in London so it is possible. As I said I am willing to pay but if I had a ticket I would of paid it. I have no need to not pay a 10-50 pound ticket and I certainly would not throw one away.
The problem of mine is within that time which is my fault I have stayed in about 5 address and still do not have an address of my own. So this was the first I've heard of it.
Thanks

I had stayed at that address for around 2 weeks last year and used visitor parking. So that's probably how they have come back to that address. Also my car is not at that address.
Thanks
hcandersen
We still need answers.

Do you still have the vehicle concerned?
When was the last time your V5C registration details were up to date?
Is your friend the occupier of the property - tenant/owner?
Is your car parked there?

If they have reason to link you to the car - you are already linked to the debt - then they'll take it or clamp it and demand payment pending release.

How critical is your car to your daily routine?
Alz
I still have the car, my problem is my car was last updated on the V5C last year when I had a secure address which was my own.
Yes the friend is the occupier to the address and my car is not parked there.

Thanks
stamfordman
This is the type of case that makes me cross that there is no email or mobile phone number associated with the V5C.

Not everyone has someone they can trust to be the registered keeper or to take mail.

Can someone with no fixed address use a PO Box address but does the DVLA allow it?
hcandersen
In which case if I was your friend I would write to and email the bailiffs.
stamfordman
Bailiffs can find your car through ANPR cameras so you are not necessarily safe anywhere.
Alz
Thanks for the help everyone.

So as I said I'm willing to pay if I have to. I would rather pay the money than have it go against my credit such as a Ccj.

Should I just pay the silly amount to them?

hcandersen
CCJ does not enter into matters.

Pl answer:
How critical is the car to your daily routine?
If your friend is in residence at the address, then they're in the firing line because the bailiffs(for a reason we've yet to discover) have you linked to that address. As far as we know, they think you are the occupier, not your friend.

Your friend needs to face this head on IMO. They are not required to refer to you, just unequivocally inform the bailiffs that they are the occupier - include a council tax bill or similar if possible- and that all property is theirs.

But don't phone. By doing it in writing they cannot be caught out by any questions.
Alz
Ok so I do use my car everyday to commute to work. She has spoke on the phone to the bailiffs and was asked to provide council tax proof through email that they live there and I don't, which they have sent the email today.

Thanks again everyone for the help
Neil B
When did you leave V5 address?
Incandescent
And what about all the other mail one gets from time to time: how did you arrange to get it ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.