Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driving without MOT
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
Lego
Hello all.

I just have a quick question about driving to a test centre without an MOT.

As I understand it, it is OK to drive to a test centre if you have an appointment for an MOT booked.

I have an appointment booked for Monday afternoon, but I want to drop the car off at the centre on Sunday afternoon (could do Monday if I have to, but Sunday is much more convenient).

I'll only be driving straight from my house to the test centre, which is only a couple of miles away.

Do I still fall under the "travelling to test centre" exemption, even though I am travelling the day before the MOT is actually booked?
DancingDad
Strictly speaking yes.
But where will vehicle be left?
If on street then is it taxed ?
Lego
Thanks.

The car is taxed and the MOT is just a couple of days overdue.

Car will be driven from my drive, straight to the test centre and parked on their car park (and stored inside overnight on Sunday).
DancingDad
QUOTE (Lego @ Sat, 6 Apr 2019 - 14:21) *
Thanks.

The car is taxed and the MOT is just a couple of days overdue.

Car will be driven from my drive, straight to the test centre and parked on their car park (and stored inside overnight on Sunday).

Cannot see an issue unless you get pulled by a really nasty cop who wants to find fault.
Even then could not see a court finding you guilty, AFAIK, there is no stipulation on timing, only on being driven to the MOT centre and it being pre-arranged.
I assume that you have pre arranged with garage and if needs be, a quick phone call to them would confirm arrangements ?

If the worst does happen, just be polite and pleasant to the cop.
Simple explanation, no asserting your rights or questioning their parenthood smile.gif
Attitude is all and being stroppy only leads to them making life difficult for you.
Lego
Thanks.

Yes, the appointment is booked and paid for and I have also called the centre to confirm that I can drop it off on Sunday.

What would happen if I were pinged by a static camera, rather than stopped by the police?

The whole route is almost entirely a single main road.

Are the rules around this exemption statutory? I tried to search the RTA for the exact wording but couldn't find it.
DancingDad
Exemption derives from the Motor Vehicle (Tests) Regulations.
I think 1981 is latest though there are many amendments.
Section 6
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1981/1694/contents/made

AFAIK, Fixed static cameras do not look for things like no MOT (yet, give them chance)
Police or DVLA may set up spot checks and use ANPR but IMO, worrying about nothing.
DVLA are only interested in Road Tax or lack of it.
Police generally pull people over in these sort of spot checks which gives you chance to explain and them to check your story.
"Thank you Sir, have a pleasant journey"
To me, your only worry about being stopped is whether or not a random Traffic Car pings you on their ANPR and the occifers are bored enough to pull you over.
Once again, simple, polite explanation.
Lego
Thank you very much for taking the time to dig that out for me.

notmeatloaf
The exemption applies for any trip to an MoT station for a prebooked test. People always seem keen to add restrictions to this about distance/time but there is no such restriction in law. You just have to drive straight there, not stop at the shops etc on the way unless for fuel or a rest.
Redivi
My understanding is that driving to the test station still requires your car to be safe
DastardlyDick
QUOTE (Redivi @ Sat, 6 Apr 2019 - 17:21) *
My understanding is that driving to the test station still requires your car to be safe

But until it's been looked at by a qualified person, you don't know that it's unsafe unless it's something glaringly obvious like a tyre with no tread.
andy_foster
QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Sat, 6 Apr 2019 - 17:00) *
The exemption applies for any trip to an MoT station for a prebooked test. People always seem keen to add restrictions to this about distance/time but there is no such restriction in law.

QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Sat, 6 Apr 2019 - 17:00) *
You just have to drive straight there, not stop at the shops etc on the way unless for fuel or a rest.

rolleyes.gif

QUOTE (Redivi @ Sat, 6 Apr 2019 - 18:21) *

Driving to a pre-booked test is an exemption to the requirement to have tax and an MOT. It is not an exemption to other requirements.
notmeatloaf
I think it was fairly obvious that driving to the shops, then onto your MoT test would be two separate journeys, with the proviso a court would consider the point - stopping at a motorway services is different to driving to a shopping centre in the opposite direction to your MoT.

However, the journey where the initial intention is to go to the MoT test station is without arbitrary condition.
The Rookie
Why is it fairly obvious? If it's reasonably en route, you are still driving to the MOT test, nothing in the statute says it adds a 'restriction' saying go direct to MOT station, do not pass go or collect £200. At the end of the day its for a court to decide if the 'purpose' was travelling to the MOT and if stopping en route meant that was no longer the 'purpose'. Intention isn't relevant.
Exemption as stated
for the purpose of submitting it by previous arrangement for, or bringing it away from, an examination

If your chosen MOT station is in Aberdeen and you live in Cornwall it is obvious you'll need breaks en route, it hasn't changed the purpose of the journey if you stop for a comfort break, to get some food and drink or in this example an overnight halt.
QUOTE (DastardlyDick @ Sat, 6 Apr 2019 - 18:39) *
QUOTE (Redivi @ Sat, 6 Apr 2019 - 17:21) *

But until it's been looked at by a qualified person, you don't know that it's unsafe unless it's something glaringly obvious like a tyre with no tread.

Not knowing is not a defence. And you can have it “looked at” without going to an MOT centre.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.