Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mobile Phone Whilst Driving - HELP!
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
sanane
I have been pulled over for holding a mobile phone (looking at notifications). I apologized from the officers and know that this is absolutely wrong even though we were in jammed traffic in a que.

They asked several Qs, checked my details (license insurance etc), and told me they were happy for me to leave. They did not give any sort of paper penalty etc. However, the officer told me “its not a problem to get 3 points and 200 gbp fine but its a problem to be in an accident, thats when one is in trouble ”.

The gov uk website indicates that after a police pulls you over for minor offenses (including mobile phone usage) they may take no action, issue a warning, offer driver training or charge you with an offense.

I am just curious if although they have told me that I could leave , is there a possibility that I ll still get a penalty notice and points on my license through the post? Once again note that they haven't given my a fine on the spot or a paper warning (don't know if that arrives via post).

Thank you for your help!
Jlc
Could be your lucky day - did the officer mention a possible prosecution? Although it's now 6 points.

Yes, it's possible a fixed penalty offer will come in the post.
sanane
QUOTE (Jlc @ Thu, 4 Apr 2019 - 17:35) *
Could be your lucky day - did the officer mention a possible prosecution? Although it's now 6 points.

Yes, it's possible a fixed penalty offer will come in the post.

Well all he said was its not a problem to get 3 points and 200 gbp fine but its a problem to be in an accident, thats when one is in trouble. They didn't tell me if I would be prosecuted or not.

I also am a new driver its been 1 year and 10 months. Considering I would get 6 points wouldn't they confiscate my license on the spot? Also, if they were to prosecute or issue me with points shouldn't they actually write a ticket from their ticket book and issue an on-the-spot fine?

Im just very new to this sorry if it sounds stupid..
NewJudge
QUOTE (sanane @ Thu, 4 Apr 2019 - 17:44) *
I also am a new driver its been 1 year and 10 months. Considering I would get 6 points wouldn't they confiscate my license on the spot?

No. If you are convicted or accept a fixed penalty (either of which will see six points imposed) the DVLA are notified and they will revoke your licence by writing to you. As soon as that happens you can apply for a new provisional licence and so be able to take your test (both parts) again.
sanane
QUOTE (NewJudge @ Thu, 4 Apr 2019 - 17:52) *
QUOTE (sanane @ Thu, 4 Apr 2019 - 17:44) *
I also am a new driver its been 1 year and 10 months. Considering I would get 6 points wouldn't they confiscate my license on the spot?

No. If you are convicted or accept a fixed penalty (either of which will see six points imposed) the DVLA are notified and they will revoke your licence by writing to you. As soon as that happens you can apply for a new provisional licence and so be able to take your test (both parts) again.

And until when would I receive a fixed penalty if I have been issued with one?
NewJudge
A couple of weeks or so, I expect.
Dean123
You won't get a FPN if there's a chance you'll tot up, it will go straight to court.
BaggieBoy
QUOTE (Dean123 @ Thu, 4 Apr 2019 - 18:54) *
You won't get a FPN if there's a chance you'll tot up, it will go straight to court.

Errrr....no.
southpaw82

What makes you think he’ll tot up?
sanane
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Thu, 4 Apr 2019 - 19:07) *

Going back to the question huh.gif I am just curious if although they have told me that I could leave, is there a possibility that I ll still get a penalty notice and points on my license through the post since they haven't given my a fine on the spot or a paper warning

And after when can I be sure that nothing is arriving
Thank you!!
NewJudge

Beware of confusing "totting up" (12 points in 3 years) with falling foul of the New Drivers' Legislation (6 points within two years of first passing a test). The former is dealt with judicially by the court (who have discretion not to impose disqualification); the latter is dealt with administratively by the DVLA (who have no discretion over whether or not the licence is revoked).

If the OP was facing "totting up" he would already have six points and so would already have had his licence revoked (which can only happen once).
Jlc
QUOTE (sanane @ Thu, 4 Apr 2019 - 19:59) *
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Thu, 4 Apr 2019 - 19:07) *

Going back to the question huh.gif I am just curious if although they have told me that I could leave, is there a possibility that I ll still get a penalty notice and points on my license through the post since they haven't given my a fine on the spot or a paper warning

Thank you!!

The usual process would be to issue a Traffic Offence Report and the ticket office processes.

However, you could still receive a conditional offer or a court summons. As already noted a fixed penalty would likely come in weeks but they have 6 months to commence a prosecution.
southpaw82
QUOTE (sanane @ Thu, 4 Apr 2019 - 19:59) *
Going back to the question huh.gif

If I choose to ask someone a question that’s my prerogative.

I am just curious if although they have told me that I could leave, is there a possibility that I ll still get a penalty notice and points on my license through the post since they haven't given my a fine on the spot or a paper warning

Yes. And it’s “licence” when you’re referring to a noun.

Six months.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.