Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Red light level crossing camera?
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
bcroninuk
Could not see due to the fookin sun in my eyes... went through just as it went RED.... did you not see any flash when i looked back in the mirror... do you recon I have been caught... it is in Cambridge... do you they offer the red light awareness course?

red light
Jlc
That's tight.

FWIW it appears the offence was complete (as you could have stopped during Amber and the stop line was crossed during red) but your saviour could be the small amount of time for the camera to arm after red is illuminated.

Only a NIP will confirm for sure. (Within 14 days to the registered keeper)
The Rookie
Most level crossings are monitored by BTP not the local constabulary, I don't think they offer courses.

You're lucky its a camera, a manned unit would probably have reported you regardless for contravening the amber.
Redivi
Agree

The amber was lit for the full three seconds before changing to Red as you reached the line
bcroninuk
Been driving for over 10 years and this the first time I have come across a level crossing!!! Living in London. I was looking in the mirror at the car close behind me and then when I looked back I could see the yellow flashing lights but it would of been too late to slow down by the time I had noticed the lights, lack of attention of what was in front of me when I should of been paying attention to what was in front of me. Have to take it on the chin if a NIP does it turn up.

They do offer a course though.... https://www.drivetech.co.uk/driver-awarenes...crossing-course
notmeatloaf
It may be the first time you've seen a level crossing but they're not exactly difficult to work out.
QUOTE (notmeatloaf @ Thu, 21 Mar 2019 - 16:48) *
It may be the first time you've seen a level crossing but they're not exactly difficult to work out.

And the "yellow" lights don't flash.
captain swoop
QUOTE (bcroninuk @ Thu, 21 Mar 2019 - 16:28) *
Been driving for over 10 years and this the first time I have come across a level crossing!!! Living in London. I was looking in the mirror at the car close behind me and then when I looked back I could see the yellow flashing lights but it would of been too late to slow down by the time I had noticed the lights, lack of attention of what was in front of me when I should of been paying attention to what was in front of me. Have to take it on the chin if a NIP does it turn up.

They do offer a course though.... https://www.drivetech.co.uk/driver-awarenes...crossing-course

I thought the sun was in your eyes?
roythebus
Most level crossings have CCTV monitoring. They start recording as soon as the train hits a treadle in the track a distance from the crossing and stop as the train hits the "line clear" treadle when it is clear of the crossing and the barriers start to rise.

There's enough video clips on here about that sort of thing and the stupid things people do to avoid waiting a minute or two.
DastardlyDick
QUOTE (bcroninuk @ Thu, 21 Mar 2019 - 16:28) *

Drivetech may have a course, but BTP don't have to offer it.
ford poplar
You will have to clench your butocks, until 14 days after incident.
roythebus
As a former train driver, can I please remind people to make sure YOU look when you are approaching a level crossing. I've lost 2 friends who have been killed whilst driving steam trains, crashes caused by car drivers not looking. Being scalded to death whilst trapped in the cab of a steam loco takes about 20 minutes according to the accident reports.

On the main line at 100 mph the train driver will probably survive, but the car and its occupants won't.
The Slithy Tove
QUOTE (roythebus @ Thu, 21 Mar 2019 - 20:50) *
Most level crossings have CCTV monitoring. They start recording as soon as the train hits a treadle in the track a distance from the crossing and stop as the train hits the "line clear" treadle when it is clear of the crossing and the barriers start to rise.

They're used for the signalman to check the crossing is clear, not generally for law enforcement. They are not normally angled such that they could get the registration anyway.
Charlie1010
Signallers are too busy to be policing the crossing. They have the network to run and no time to police crap drivers.
Why anyone would chance it against a train is unbelievable.
I was at a signalling centre the other day for work and it’s a significant problem.
Steps are being made to arm all crossings red light with cameras.
roythebus
Most level crossing CCTVs record from when the train hits the "approach" treadle some distance way as well as being an aid to the signalman.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.