Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking ticket for parking on the road
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Fiona
Firstly apologies if this subject has been covered previously. I have done a search but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

I have just received a parking ticket for partially parking on a pavement. The road that I parked on has no parking restrictions and is narrow such that the only way you can park on it if cars are parked on one side is to park partially on the pavement. Before parking I checked that there were no signs stating that there were any parking restrictions yet when I return to my car I have a parking ticket. Is there an assumption that the general public are meant to know all parking restrictions even if there are no signs advising you of them, or is there a requirement that the council should be letting you know that you cannot partially park on the kerb etc. I have previoulsy seen signs where it states that it is an offence to park partially on the kerb and obvisoulsy these weren't there is in this instance and therefore I thought it was OK. Had I parked completly on the road I would have blocked the road, so which is worse? - would I still have got a ticket?

Do you think that it is worthwhile appealing this?

All advice much appreciated.
Catweazle
Where was it?
Fiona
Hi

I parked in West Ealing on a side street just off uxbridge road

Thanks

F
Catweazle
Greater London and some other councils across the country have a blanket ban on pavement parking. I'm not sure how you're supposed to know this. I happen to because I remember when the law was introduced, but a friend who didn't know was ticketed like you and simply advised that ignorance of the law was no defence.
DW190
Google comes up with all the answers
peterb
QUOTE (Fiona @ Mon, 10 Jul 2006 - 13:32) *
I have just received a parking ticket for partially parking on a pavement. The road that I parked on has no parking restrictions and is narrow such that the only way you can park on it if cars are parked on one side is to park partially on the pavement. Before parking I checked that there were no signs stating that there were any parking restrictions yet when I return to my car I have a parking ticket.
. Had I parked completly on the road I would have blocked the road, so which is worse? - would I still have got a ticket?

Do you think that it is worthwhile appealing this?

Yes, I think you should appeal with what you say above.

Is it narrow along whole length of road ??
Were you parked on/near corners ??
Could you have parked in better place along the road ??

See following message by sp88 on Mon, 26 Jun 2006 - 20:03
http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showto...treet&st=20

It's not the same, but the technique of trying to get them to believe you & the circumstances.

Be persistent, they routinely reject 1st appeals, you may have to send 2nd/3rd letter to get
them to take your appeal seriously.

peterb
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.