Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Drink Driving
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
gregmcateer
My friend phoned me this morning to tell me he'd just been let out the cells following a DD offence. apparently his reading was 120-odd. For some reason unbeknown to anyone who knows him he decided to take his car to his mate's who lives about 12 miles away. Well, long story short, he hit the kerb and rolled his car through a hedge/field and wrote his car off. Police showed up minutes later. This is the lad's first offence and unbelievably out of character for him. through this he has already; lost his job (requires him to have a licence) and will have to fork out the full money for his car (bought on credit three weeks ago) even though the car does no longer exists. Basically, the lad is terrified of getting a custodial sentence too and would love to know what the expectations are for him now. Thank you very much for anyone who can offer some light on his future for us please.
Broadsword
The good news is his insurance should still cover the damage/write off of the vehicle if he is fully comprehensive.

The bad news is he actually managed to blow 120 (which is an achievement in itself, with that level of intoxication most people couldn't physically do it!!) and remember the 120 reading is the lower of the two he gave.

I think that he is going to prison for a good few months

(One thing that puzzles me is that he was let out the cells this morning, for a DD last night and yet he has already lost his job? How do his employers know so soon? Is he a camera van operator?)

I don't think a reading of 120 will get him much sympathy here, but we all make stupid mistakes (and the more you pour down your throat, the more your brain dribbles out of your ear to make room mellow.gif )
ahxcjb
A custodial sentence is not possible for DD. He would have to be charged with Dangerous Driving to be fearful of that. I don't think anyone here looks very favourably on drink drivers, but all I can suggest is that he hangs his head and learns from it. In a few years, it will be behind him.
gregmcateer
oh, his employers dont realise he's lost his job either, but when he phones them on monday and says "i'm not in london and cant get there and even if i could i couldnt drive around all my jobs for the day/week/month etc" then they will terminate his contract on the spot.

By the way people, thanks for such quick responses. with the court date on wednesday this is much appreciated!
Broadsword
Off the top of my head it's a six months imprisonment maximum

Has he been done for 'excess alcohol' or the more serious (and more likely) 'unfit' charge?
gregmcateer
dont know to be honest mate, and having been told this i dont particularly wanna phone him to find out now!
V70
For providing a sample of 120ugs, your friend is likely to receive an 18 month disqualification. It is very unlikely that he will receive a cusodial sentence.

As for his insurance, he had better read the small print as he may find they try to worm out of paying due to the excess alcohol.
Peter_D
I do not think prison will be the outcome as no other party was injured. Banned for 2 years and 10 points on the renewed license and may me a driving test resit. The insurance company may not pay out at all under the Sobriety Clues, used more and more these days. What a Pratt. His car insurance at recommencement will be out of this world £3K plus for the first year. Only good news is he didn't hit another car or person. Regards Peter
fatboytim
However the legal case goes, he should be happy to be in one piece after a roll.
At least he'll be able to walk or ride a bike, during his ban.
It could be worse.
fatboytim
the_gould
hi there

ahxcjb said " but all I can suggest is that he hangs his head and learns from it. In a few years, it will be behind him."

Just now getting caught and charged with DUI is gonna get you 20 years crimanal record. i know this guy will be kackin himself but it was such a daft thing to do even though it was out of character.

very silly .

hope all goes well

the gould
gregmcateer
his alcohol count was actually 84. he got it wrong the eejit. does this make a difference?
Broadsword
his alcohol count was actually 84. he got it wrong the eejit. does this make a difference?

Yeah, he's not going inside now (if everything else is correct and noone was injured etc)
g_attrill
QUOTE (gregmcateer @ Sun, 9 Jul 2006 - 16:14) *

Limit is 35, so the magistrates will be thinking "over twice the limit" so as mentioned 18 months is likely, 12 possible still. If it was 120 as originally mentioned then 3 years would have been more likely.

Gareth
gregmcateer
Big thank you to everyone who went out of their way to post on this thread. Been much appreciated, and with the court date tomorrow i will reply on the outcome. sweepstake anyone?
Broadsword
If he is pleading guilty tomorrow then he could really do with getting the duty solicitor to mitigate on his behalf, it will make all the difference when it comes to sentencing
g_attrill
QUOTE (gregmcateer @ Tue, 11 Jul 2006 - 15:07) *
sweepstake anyone?

It's a little morbid, but I am sticking with 18 months flat, with the option of a course to reduce it to 15.

Gareth
Ocelot
I'll go for 18 months and a £200 fine...
g_attrill
QUOTE (Ocelot @ Wed, 12 Jul 2006 - 13:26) *
I'll go for 18 months and a £200 fine...

Ah yes, forgot about fine. Since he has a job it will be a reasonable amount, I reckon higher than £200, say £275?
gregmcateer
g attril picks up the bucks! he got 18 months, dropped to 15 if he does the course thing, and also, he got a £400 fine. thanks to all. great people, greate site. diolch yn fawr iawn!
Broadsword
diolch yn fawr iawn!

Dim problem, happus i helpy wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.