Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I don't think any sensible person would think it a police car
FightBack Forums > Discussion > News / Press Articles
Charlie1010
Oh to be Dobie or Boil in The Proffesionables.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-46876778
cp8759
If you read the EDP story, basically he was charged with having blue lights fitted, pleaded guilty and was fined. Not much of a story to be honest. However I now have to write to the BBC to complain that they've made up some nonsense about a siren, which appears to be a beeb invention.
Charlie1010
Z
southpaw82
What is “emergency-style” meant to mean? The badges and other accoutrements make it clear to me that he was up to no good.
mickR
"other accoutrements" I dissagree,
I've never seen a Police car with cushions that colour on the shelf wink.gif happy.gif

Redivi
According to other reports he's a security guard that bought the RAF cap and police armband to wear on patrol

Looks more like trying to make himself more impressive and stop people laughing at his car than intentionally imitating a police officer
Roverboy
I worked as a security guard and have seen many security company vans and cars "done up" a lot more like police vehicles than that, even down to battenburging, the crown emblem (just with security instead of police in it) and light bar on top (the new led type that don't show a colour till on) but nothing is said about them.

In this case, the obvious blue lights on the front yes, but the other things no, they just make him look like a wannabe cop security guard.
ManxRed
Or assigning himself the superpowers of making traffic get out of the way, and jumping red lights, when he's late home for tea?
cp8759
QUOTE (Roverboy @ Wed, 16 Jan 2019 - 12:28) *
I worked as a security guard and have seen many security company vans and cars "done up" a lot more like police vehicles than that, even down to battenburging, the crown emblem (just with security instead of police in it) and light bar on top (the new led type that don't show a colour till on) but nothing is said about them.

Indeed, what about the security guards at Canary Wharf that pretty much look like cops.
DancingDad
QUOTE (cp8759 @ Wed, 16 Jan 2019 - 14:45) *
QUOTE (Roverboy @ Wed, 16 Jan 2019 - 12:28) *

Indeed, what about the security guards at Canary Wharf that pretty much look like cops.

I see a lot of cops these days that look like security guards.
Dayglo yellow vests, no helmets, non descript polo shirts....
typefish
Indeed, what about the horse riders that pretty much look like cops.

ftfy
southpaw82
QUOTE (typefish @ Thu, 17 Jan 2019 - 11:30) *
Indeed, what about the horse riders that pretty much look like cops.

ftfy

The “POLITE” on their vests is interesting.
Charlie1010
I see a lot of bikers with ‘POLITE’ and cross hatching on a high vis jacket.
Ironically I often see the them after they’ve performed an impolite manoeuvre in front of me.
When I dared ride a white helmet and a Sam Browne reflective belt used to be popular.
DastardlyDick
QUOTE (Charlie1010 @ Thu, 17 Jan 2019 - 14:18) *
I see a lot of bikers with ‘POLITE’ and cross hatching on a high vis jacket.
Ironically I often see the them after they’ve performed an impolite manoeuvre in front of me.
When I dared ride a white helmet and a Sam Browne reflective belt used to be popular.

The "Polite" jackets have been looked over by the Met Police's legal eagles and pronounced OK.
You're showing your age if you remember the Sam Browne belts :-)
If you want to see a truly outrageous fake cop car, try googling 'shomrim London car' but it has also been deemed legal.
The Slithy Tove
Someone at work years ago had an ex-police car, complete with lights, sirens, full livery, which caused a bit of a stir when it was regularly parked in the staff car park. However, he pointed out that when on the public highway the decals, etc. were always covered, and he'd never use the lights or sirens. (Though it didn't stop him being flagged down occasionally by people thinking he was a real cop). Car used at shows and occasional TV work.
southpaw82
Merely having them fitted is an offence IIRC.
peterguk
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Fri, 18 Jan 2019 - 13:26) *

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

16. No vehicle, other than an emergency vehicle, shall be fitted with–

(a)a blue warning beacon or special warning lamp, or

(b)a device which resembles a blue warning beacon or a special warning lamp, whether the same is in working order or not.
Rallyman72
QUOTE (peterguk @ Fri, 18 Jan 2019 - 14:19) *
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Fri, 18 Jan 2019 - 13:26) *

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

16. No vehicle, other than an emergency vehicle, shall be fitted with–

(a)a blue warning beacon or special warning lamp, or

(b)a device which resembles a blue warning beacon or a special warning lamp, whether the same is in working order or not.

There are quite a few ex police vehicles still in full livery and with lights fitted that go to shows etc, they are members of the Police Vehicle Club (http://www.policevehicle.club/about-us/). When used on the road they have covers fitted to the lights and over the force decals.
The Rookie
Still committing the offence, covered or not, able to work or not. Whether it’s in the public interest to prosecute is a different matter.
cp8759
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 18 Jan 2019 - 18:57) *
Still committing the offence, covered or not, able to work or not. Whether it’s in the public interest to prosecute is a different matter.

Funnily enough, as far as I know, there isn't a law that says I can't drive along while my passenger is holding a battery powered blue lamp (which could even just be an app on their smart phone).
peterguk
QUOTE (cp8759 @ Sat, 19 Jan 2019 - 12:36) *

Funnily enough, as far as I know, there isn't a law that says I can't drive along while my passenger is holding a battery powered blue lamp (which could even just be an app on their smart phone).

Who mentioned passengers and handheld lamps?
DancingDad
QUOTE (peterguk @ Sat, 19 Jan 2019 - 14:15) *
QUOTE (cp8759 @ Sat, 19 Jan 2019 - 12:36) *

Who mentioned passengers and handheld lamps?

CP wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.