Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Letter from Police "Cameras do NOT identify driver"
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Jonaliok
Hi,

Sent in NIP for running a red light stating couldn't remeber who was driving at the time (really!) and asking for photographic evidence. Now received a letter back stating "Cameras do NOT identify the driver"

What do I do now? They have admitted that they cannot identify the driver!? If I supply possible names, but re enforce that I don't remember who was driving at the time what might happen next? Are they trying it on?

HELP!

Thanks,

Jonaliok
Mika
Hi,

The registered keeper has a legal obligation to provide the name of the person who was driving at the time of the alleged motoring offence, and this page may help you to understand:

http://pepipoo.com/Section_172.htm

This link should help you to understand why they may have said: "Cameras do NOT identify the driver”
Jonaliok
Thanks Mikea,

I guess I will supply the two names and also ask to see the evidence, because I can't believe either of us would go through a red light anyway.
I don't understand how they can proceed without knowing who to prosecute. Is there a law about not being able to remember who was driving a car on a certain date?

"Reasonable diligence" ? I can't remeber if I was driving, I've asked my wife if she was and she can't remember either. Is that diligent enough?

Thanks,

Jonaliok
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.