Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bus lane fine on a motorbike
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
aby
Hello all,

First time visitor so apologies if I'm not posting this in the correct section.

I recently started riding a motorbike to commute into work. Embarrassingly I've managed to rack up 5 bus lane fines before I received the first letter through the post.

I was mistakenly under the impression/was fed misinformation that I could ride in all bus lanes, which obviously isn't the case. I thought the cycle sign meant any 2 wheeled vehicle.

They all arrived later than the 'date of notice' from which the 14 day discount period starts, the first one arrived 15 days late, and the others .. some arrived 1-3 days or more.

My plan was to apologize and basically beg for forgiveness :/ I got these fines 2-3 weeks after I'd passed my CBT and all 5 occurred on the same bus lane. Do you think I could appeal to their better nature if I send a picture of my certificate proving I'm new to the road?

Also wondering what to do with the first one because I don't want to pay £130 if I lose the appeal. It's bad enough that I may need to pay 5! Do I wait for notice to owner or appeal anyway and add that I received it very late?

And finally, is there any grounds of appeal regarding the date of notice issue?

Thanks in advance

Pictures of fine 1 - page 1:
page 2:
PASTMYBEST
For each of the PCN's list the contravention date and the date of notice
stamfordman
location is known to us - had several here in the past year or so, including some from bikers.

Have a look for a video on council site for one.

DastardlyDick
They have 28 days to serve a PCN provided that they apply to DVLA for the Registered Keepers details within 14 days from the date of detection. This can be extended if DVLA cannot supply the information to up to 6 months. They then have to send it by 1st Class mail so it is deemed "served" on the following working day, so if you are ticketed on Saturday, it would be "served" on Monday.
PASTMYBEST
QUOTE (DastardlyDick @ Fri, 28 Dec 2018 - 22:35) *
They have 28 days to serve a PCN provided that they apply to DVLA for the Registered Keepers details within 14 days from the date of detection. This can be extended if DVLA cannot supply the information to up to 6 months. They then have to send it by 1st Class mail so it is deemed "served" on the following working day, so if you are ticketed on Saturday, it would be "served" on Monday.

Not quite service is deemed to be 2 working days after posting so a PCN posted Friday is deemed served on the Tuesday
hcandersen
OP, 'I was mistakenly under the impression/was fed misinformation that I could ride in all bus lanes,'

If this is true, then complain formally to your trainer/training organisation. But if not, then park it.

'They all arrived later than the 'date of notice' from which the 14 day discount period starts,'

The 'Date of Penalty Charge Notice' is the date it was posted, not the date of contravention - which is further down the notice - so naturally they must all arrive after the posting date.

Because these penalties must be paid by reference to the 'Date of PCN' and not date received, it is important that they are posted as required, therefore the dates received by you - and circumstances - are important.
DastardlyDick
QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Fri, 28 Dec 2018 - 23:13) *
QUOTE (DastardlyDick @ Fri, 28 Dec 2018 - 22:35) *

Not quite service is deemed to be 2 working days after posting so a PCN posted Friday is deemed served on the Tuesday

blush.gif
DastardlyDick
Date of Notice is 26th so PCN deemed served on 29th - was it?
aby
QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Fri, 28 Dec 2018 - 22:14) *
For each of the PCN's list the contravention date and the date of notice

Ticket 1. Contravention date: 16/11/18 date of notice 26/11/18--- (actually received by myself on the 13th of December)
Ticket 2. Contravention date: 30/11/18 date of notice: 10/12/18--- (actually received on the 18th of December)
Ticket 3. Contravention date: 04/12/18 date of notice: 12/12/18 ---(actually received on the 21st of december)
Ticket 4. Contravention date: 05/12/18 date of notice: 13/12/18 ---(actually received on the 21st of december)
Ticket 5. Contravention date: 11/12/18 date of notice: 19/12/18--- (actually received on the 21st of december)

so obviously when i tried to appeal, the 14 day discount had expired on some. Not sure whether I should wait for notice to owner then maybe tell them so I can get fresh ones? im absolutely clueless at the moment.
PASTMYBEST
Challenge them all together. State as you said you believed that Motor bikes could use the bus lane and show the dates you recieved them thus denying you the discount opportunity

If they reject out of hand you lose nothing and push to appeal on continuing contravention if the re offer the discount then. decision time
hcandersen
OP, are you telling us everything?

....actually received by myself on the 13th of December)
... (actually received on the 18th of December)

And why would you 'actually' receive these late? Is this because you collect them intermittently/do not live at the address/perhaps have mail forwarding in place?

To 'actually receive' one notice late may be regarded as a misfortune; to receive two looks like carelessness; and for five there has to be more to this than we're seeing.

Documents are deemed served when delivered.
aby
QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Sun, 30 Dec 2018 - 20:32) *
Challenge them all together. State as you said you believed that Motor bikes could use the bus lane and show the dates you recieved them thus denying you the discount opportunity

If they reject out of hand you lose nothing and push to appeal on continuing contravention if the re offer the discount then. decision time

That's the action that I've been thinking about taking to be honest, nothing else I can do. I'd have to pay £650 if I take it as far as tribunal and lose. So much money sad.gif
PASTMYBEST
QUOTE (aby @ Sun, 30 Dec 2018 - 22:19) *

That's the action that I've been thinking about taking to be honest, nothing else I can do. I'd have to pay £650 if I take it as far as tribunal and lose. So much money sad.gif

So how much do you have to pay now?
aby
QUOTE (hcandersen @ Sun, 30 Dec 2018 - 21:28) *
OP, are you telling us everything?

....actually received by myself on the 13th of December)
... (actually received on the 18th of December)

And why would you 'actually' receive these late? Is this because you collect them intermittently/do not live at the address/perhaps have mail forwarding in place?

To 'actually receive' one notice late may be regarded as a misfortune; to receive two looks like carelessness; and for five there has to be more to this than we're seeing.

Documents are deemed served when delivered.

Lol I promise I'm telling the truth, I was shocked to receive so many late too. When I called them after receiving the first one, I was told I've got 3 others coming. I then got the fifth. Was just advised to write in the appeal that I received the fines late

To be honest I don't mind paying for one because it was obviously my mistake, but do you think they'll forgive the other 4? They've all been on the same road it's an honest mistake :/
aby
QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Sun, 30 Dec 2018 - 22:20) *
QUOTE (aby @ Sun, 30 Dec 2018 - 22:19) *

So how much do you have to pay now?

£325 if I pay all at the £65 discount, that's if they let me still pay discount on the first 2
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.