Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HELP 28 in a 20mph zone anything I can do?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Leeah
Whoever can give me some advice I would be very grateful.

I received this ticket (attached).

Are there any legal loopholes to jump through?

Obviously at the time I hadn't realised it was a 20MPH Zone but I don't know the area so can't comment on whether there is an issue with signage, was probably just me not noticing.

I am prepared to try anything.

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.
bearclaw
You must complete the s172 and send it back - the penalty for not doing so is significantly more than the speeding will cost you. If you don't know who the driver was you can ask for photos to "help identify the driver". Don't ask them for evidence, they dont have to give it you (yet).

The likley outcome of that is as far as I know going to be a speed awareness course if you havent done one in the last three years, or 3 points and £100 fixed penalty.

The Rookie
Tower bridge is a well known 20mph limit with cameras, the signage isn't that great but it is fully legally enforceable.
peterguk
QUOTE (Leeah @ Tue, 4 Dec 2018 - 13:52) *
I am prepared to try anything.

Any reason for the desparation? New driver? 9 points on DL?
Earl Purple
You need to fill in the details and you must be honest with it.

You may qualify for a speed awareness course on this occasion, which would require you to pay for it and take time off work but would save you getting penalty points on your licence. You would not be eligible for another course for 3 years after that.

Logician
We see quite a few people caught out by that limit, there was once an issue with the signs but they are now compliant, although not very noticeable. The 20 mph speed awareness course is a different animal to the general one, so having done the general one in the last three years would not make you ineligible for a 20mph one.
NewJudge
QUOTE (Logician @ Tue, 4 Dec 2018 - 15:43) *
...there was once an issue with the signs but they are now compliant, although not very noticeable.

As I recall, the "20" signs on the south side of Tower Bridge are quite visible from the carriage of a train entering or leaving London Bridge station as it passes over Tower Bridge Road about 200 metres from the bridge.
Jlc
My recollection is that the SoS approved the signage as a 'heritage site'.
Logician
The terminal signs are immediately after traffic lights, are on the small size, and have no backing board. I am sure they comply but could be made more noticeable if you really want people to slow down over the bridge.
peterguk
QUOTE (Logician @ Tue, 4 Dec 2018 - 17:31) *
The terminal signs are ... on the small size

Presumably terminal sign size... or smaller?
The Rookie
They do not (or at least did not) comply with the TRSGD as they needed and were given SoS approval making them legal, as above the exception was granted as it was deemed a heritage site.
peterguk
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Tue, 4 Dec 2018 - 18:53) *
They do not (or at least did not) comply with the TRSGD as they needed and were given SoS approval making them legal, as above the exception was granted as it was deemed a heritage site.

Got you. Thanks.
Leeah
Thank you to everyone who took the time to answer, I am most grateful.

I will certainly heed your advice.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.