Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Single Bay Markings
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Rob_1
On the road, in front of our house (on a row of semi detached properties) are white marked bays for on street parking - they start a small distance in from the dropped curb's set between each house. You can park two cars easily in the bay here, although single bays are not marked out, unlike other areas of London - it is one long bay.
Our neighbour parks their car overnight deliberately in the middle of the bay, so only one car can park there, depriving other residents of this facility.

Can anyone advise if you can have a bay split so as to create single space bays (ie 2x here).

I note in this press article:
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/cons...ars-get-too-big

"Currently, parking bays on roads can be a maximum length of 6.6 metres and minimum of 4.5 metres".

So the full length of two bays together would be min. 9mt.

I am curious as to why some areas of london have single bays marked out, and not others.
stamfordman
This is one for the flame pit but - talk to your neighbour.
cp8759
The council could split the bay in two and parking across it would be a contravention for which he could be given a PCN. But I would talk to him in the first instance.
pcnobjection
Read the article from the link that you posted, it's over 4 years old and talks about the minimum width and not the length. Or are you
stating that the bays are too wide and could fit 2 vehicles side by side (maybe I interpreted it wrong).

Flame Fuel...With the government pressing on us to use small electric cars and offering incentives to do so. Maybe these large SUV's and others should not be classed as cars as they are in a sense off-road vehicles and marketed to the consumer for that exact purpose and not for ease of parking or economy..

As for the large bay, you would have to speak with council if it is a public road. Would be a funny photo to post here if your neighnour
was taking up the whole bay with one of those tiny Smart cars.
Rob_1

Thank you for your replies.

"The council could split the bay in two and parking across it would be a contravention for which he could be given a PCN. But I would talk to him in the first instance."

This is interesting, I am talking about kerb parking (but not on the kerb) - so cars nose to tail, wonder why the council have not split them.

Unfortunately our neighbour is an antisocial character.

"As for the large bay, you would have to speak with council if it is a public road. Would be a funny photo to post here if your neighnour
was taking up the whole bay with one of those tiny Smart cars."

All the white road markings here just outline parking areas, these are not then split into car space sizes, which allows the neighbour to park in such a manner.

It is a wide 4WD, I am not even sure it fits in width wise, its tires straddle the white markings on one side.

stamfordman
A lot of bays don't have single bays marked out. All those in my street in Hackney don't but we try and park responsibly.

You could try parking as neighbour does when he's out - he may get the message about being selfish. But talking to him is best
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.