Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newham Parking and tow away
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Parking Newham
HI Everyone,

Yep, good old Newham

I am a resident of this borough, and usually have a resident parking permit.

As usual, the annual reminder came, I filled in the renew section online, and received an email confirming it.
After this it went wrong, as like most other people, they wait till the replacement arrives and attaches it to the car. Regretfully it did not arrive and I forgot about it, parking as usual.

I do not always use the car every day so, when I did go to use it (it is parked in turning opposite) it had gone, then things started to click into place, and it had been removed on the 09/10/2018 (after being ticketed on the 08/10/2018).

The car was parked in a free parking bay, where you can park for up to 4 hours and no return or with resident parking indefinitely. The ticket states the reason is CODE 30, staying longer than permitted.

Newham lifted the car to the pound, and I paid to get it back.
This clearly is not my fault, as I had applied and been accepted for a renewal permit which for whatever reason had not arrived at my address.

Newham Council say they sent it, but..... They have issued a replacement, and now they tell me to appeal the parking ticket and the tow away.

Any advice how to proceed will be most welcome. Due ro not being well, this has been left and now must be sent asap.

Thank you all.
stamfordman
Post alll docs.

Put pics on https://imgbb.com and post BBcode embed links.
Mad Mick V
Someone will point to the key case but this sounds like abuse of process. This happens when one part of the Council cocks it up and another part of the Council takes advantage of the guy in the middle (i.e. serving a PCN).

OP------We need a time scale and an audit trail so this can be contended e.g. you must be able to prove that you took all reasonable steps to obtain a permit and the Council's incompetence has caused this situation.

A GSV of the bay would be helpful too.

Mick
hcandersen
Whoa.

Too quick to cast the council in the role of villain.

'...Council say they sent it'. So on the face of it, no mistake on their part, only the OP's.

It was the OP's fault because they allowed their car to be permitted to park other than in compliance with the restriction.

OP, we need to unpick this to see who is at fault, to do whch we need docs and info.

Firstly, did you collect your car on 9th? If so, 5 Nov. is day 28.
Mad Mick V
@hca

We are singing from the same hymn sheet. If the Council told the OP to appeal I suspect there must be a glitch.

Like you we need chapter and verse which I requested.

Besides which I would never cast Newham as villainous --it's beyond reproach laugh.gif

Mick
stamfordman
Plus yet another tow for a lower level penalty (code 30), so lowest priority and clearly disproportionate.
Parking Newham
HI,

Attached PCN and release notice
Neil B
edit
Parking Newham
Hi,

Just noticed that on Newham website, the application is still showing 'in progress', even though previously they verbally/emailed saying solved, AND have issued a replacement Permit...
Parking Newham
Thank you Neil B
Neil B
QUOTE (Parking Newham @ Sun, 4 Nov 2018 - 17:18) *
Just noticed that on Newham website, the application is still showing 'in progress', even though previously they verbally/emailed saying solved, AND have issued a replacement Permit...

Keep hold of that.
Quite clearly shows that they never sent the first, only the replacement.

It doesn't mean you were not parked in contravention but it does show them as hugely complicit.

IMPORTANT.

The deadline for representations to reach Newham is TOMORROW

So you can only use the FAX now.

Get drafting something and get it up here for review ASAP.
Mad Mick V
What stamf said about the lower penalty contravention and tow is critical.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Rutland...#33;4d0.0433384

Mick
Parking Newham
Hi,

The car was on the opposite side of the Road, where the packing is 4 hours free + resident permits.
Mad Mick V
Yes, I have amended the GSV view etc.

Regarding permit glitches (if there is one) ----the 2nd case here describes the legal position:-

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showto...t&p=1368323

As to a lower penalty triggering a tow, this case is critical:-

http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showto...t&p=1378100

Mick
Parking Newham
QUOTE (Neil B @ Sun, 4 Nov 2018 - 16:53) *
QUOTE (Parking Newham @ Sun, 4 Nov 2018 - 17:18) *

Keep hold of that.
Quite clearly shows that they never sent the first, only the replacement.

It doesn't mean you were not parked in contravention but it does show them as hugely complicit.

IMPORTANT.

The deadline for representations to reach Newham is TOMORROW

So you can only use the FAX now.

Get drafting something and get it up here for review ASAP.

I think the deadline is Tuesday, being 28 days from 09/10/2018 @ 20.46pm being the date of release document
Neil B
QUOTE (Parking Newham @ Sun, 4 Nov 2018 - 20:00) *
I think the deadline is Tuesday, being 28 days from 09/10/2018 @ 20.46pm being the date of release document

You asked advice; we give it (only when we're sure)

Where does the word, in red above, appear ?

Your deadline IS tomorrow.
Parking Newham
Hi,

Apologies if I antagonised you, but I read the read the representation form that says:

In order for your representations to be considered we must receive them before the end of the period of 28 days beginning with the date on which you were notified of the right to make representations
(I was first advised of the right at the car pound, by the agent [assume this means appeal[added by me]..)

Counting 28 days from the 09/10/2018 (the date of the release notice @ 20.46pm) to 06/11/2018 (I hope)..
cp8759
QUOTE (Parking Newham @ Sun, 4 Nov 2018 - 21:19) *
Hi,

Apologies if I antagonised you, but I read the read the representation form that says:

In order for your representations to be considered we must receive them before the end of the period of 28 days beginning with the date on which you were notified of the right to make representations
(I was first advised of the right at the car pound, by the agent [assume this means appeal[added by me]..)

Counting 28 days from the 09/10/2018 (the date of the release notice @ 20.46pm) to 06/11/2018 (I hope)..

No.

9 October 2018 1
10 October 2018 2
11 October 2018 3
12 October 2018 4
13 October 2018 5
14 October 2018 6
15 October 2018 7
16 October 2018 8
17 October 2018 9
18 October 2018 10
19 October 2018 11
20 October 2018 12
21 October 2018 13
22 October 2018 14
23 October 2018 15
24 October 2018 16
25 October 2018 17
26 October 2018 18
27 October 2018 19
28 October 2018 20
29 October 2018 21
30 October 2018 22
31 October 2018 23
1 November 2018 24
2 November 2018 25
3 November 2018 26
4 November 2018 27
5 November 2018 28
Neil B
QUOTE (Parking Newham @ Sun, 4 Nov 2018 - 22:19) *
the representation form that says:
the period of 28 days beginning with the date on which you were notified of the right to make representations

Don't worry; you're far from the first.
I'm just concerned that you don't miss out.

Finding a fax is gonna be a task in itself.

Green St/ High St Nth ?
Parking Newham
Bugger....

The form has the address (PO bx) and a fax number... Thankfully

I'll get it done tomorrow and faxed by end of day
cp8759
Have a read of this, might be worth adding: http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showto...p;#entry1429835
Neil B
and don't think of using online fax. Many won't accept 0845 numbers and those that do charge a mint; circa £15
in a recent case here.

Google for outlets locally. Some main post offices will do it.

and remember to get a transmission receipt.
Parking Newham
QUOTE (cp8759 @ Sun, 4 Nov 2018 - 23:16) *
Have a read of this, might be worth adding: http://forums.pepipoo.com/index.php?showto...p;#entry1429835

Newham fax # is 0845 3058106

QUOTE (Neil B @ Sun, 4 Nov 2018 - 23:32) *
and don't think of using online fax. Many won't accept 0845 numbers and those that do charge a mint; circa £15
in a recent case here.

Google for outlets locally. Some main post offices will do it.

and remember to get a transmission receipt.

Thankfully I have a Multi Function printer that has a fax modem, will config tomorrow...
Thanks to everyone (particularly Neil B)
Neil B
I'm unlikely to be around to help tomorrow but there are many here more knowledgeable than me.

One more bit of info.
I read, somewhere sometime in the last month, that Newham are switching to 'virtual' permits, either immediately
or very soon. A rolling programme starting with renewals and new applications.
Hence I've been a bit taken aback by the nature of your case.
I'm now wondering if the transition has something to do with their apparent failure to process your renewal?

I'll make enquiries tomorrow.
Parking Newham
I received this by email on Sun, 16 Sep 2018 21:40pm

" Thank you for your recent permit application.

We are pleased to confirm that your application has been approved.

You should receive your permit by post within 10 working days.

Kind regards,
London Borough of Newham "
Neil B
All sent?

Meanwhile, re the website screenshot you posted.
Can you click on the 'view details tab of the first three and show those please.

(and see post #2 on how to post images. It will help you)

--
and

QUOTE (Neil B @ Mon, 5 Nov 2018 - 01:35) *
One more bit of info.
I read, somewhere sometime in the last month, that Newham are switching to 'virtual' permits, either immediately
or very soon. A rolling programme starting with renewals and new applications.
Hence I've been a bit taken aback by the nature of your case.
I'm now wondering if the transition has something to do with their apparent failure to process your renewal?

I'll make enquiries tomorrow.

Ok, red herring - probably. Virtual permits will be rolled out circa mid December.
hcandersen
OP, we're still missing some info:

Were you actually displaying a permit on the day in question? (previously you posted..'they wait till the replacement arrives and attaches it to the car'), if so when did it expire?

Also, if you received the email on 16th and count forward 10 working days this brings us to 1 Oct, only 7 days before your PCN was issued. Without a permit on display, I do not agree that the towing was disproportionate because effectively you were in a dual use bay with resident's being the primary purpose.

But if you were displaying an out of date permit then IMO that's a different matter.

Does the council's policy allow for a grace period, was the contravention correct ( should it have been invalid permit) and what was your degree of culpability i.e. giving the council the benefit of the doubt to get the permit delivered?

Neil B
and I forgot to ask -- when did the permit expire ?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.