Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCN for entering a box junction as a car was horning aggresively behind me to turn right
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Sto
Hi I am very new to this site and I received a PCN in the post today:

CODE
The Penalty Charge is being served by post on the basis of real time recorded evidence captured by CCTV.
The vehicle XYZ was observed on 17/10/2018 and the authority believe that a penalty charge is payable on the grounds of the following alleged moving traffic contravention: Entering and stopping in a box junction when prohibited (camera enforcement) in XYZ High Street at 11:55.

Contravention Code: 31J

The Penalty Charge is £130.

I stupidly entered the box junction when a car from behind was beeping at me to tell me to move forward so that they could turn left.

I have linked the video below, and you can see that even though I entered the box junction I did not contravene anybody, and this box junction was also at a T junction, is it still valid? It would make sense for it only to be half of the size surely.

Link to Video Evidence: https://streamable.com/xz2kp

I really am not in a position to be able to pay the reduced £65 fee. Any help would be appreciated.
peterguk
Looks bang to rights as you'll ever get.
Post up all sides of PCN.
Sto
QUOTE (peterguk @ Tue, 23 Oct 2018 - 14:27) *
Looks bang to rights as you'll ever get.
Post up all sides of PCN.

Sorry I am from Sweden, What is meant by bang to rights?

The Rest of the PCN has details of payment details and getting a reduced fee if paid within 14 days.

This is the back of the PCN https://i.imgur.com/FA71JH7.jpg

What is interesting is there is double yellow lines beside the box junction, and I was only stationary for 9 seconds. Is this still enforceable?
stamfordman
Well you weren't stopped for long but it was a daft thing to do as you recognise. It's worth an appeal saying you felt under pressure.

Bang to rights means guilty.

Sto
QUOTE (stamfordman @ Tue, 23 Oct 2018 - 14:42) *
Well you weren't stopped for long but it was a daft thing to do as you recognise.

Bang to rights means guilty.

Would it still count as a contravention if I did not contravene anybody?
stamfordman
QUOTE (Sto @ Tue, 23 Oct 2018 - 14:54) *

The contravention is for stopping as you did with no exit. The effect on other vehicles is not relevant, but councils have a duty to consider discretion.
Sto
Also, I have discovered that the box junction is not on this list https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/go...rkings-1984.pdf

The question is, is this box junction even compliant or approved by the Department of Transport? Surely that alone means this is not enforceable PCN
DJ Lexy
The car was beeping at you because you were stopped across two lanes.
Incandescent
QUOTE (Sto @ Tue, 23 Oct 2018 - 14:59) *
Also, I have discovered that the box junction is not on this list https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/go...rkings-1984.pdf

The question is, is this box junction even compliant or approved by the Department of Transport? Surely that alone means this is not enforceable PCN

No.
That is a list of box junctions that would be non-compliant under normal requirements, but have been specially authorised by the DfT. Frankly, you are totally bang-to-rights on this one, and would do well to pay the discounted amount whilst it is available. You would lose at an adjudication and have to pay £130. You just need to ignore rude people who toot their horns behind you, and develop a skin like a rhinoceros, especially in London where this is.
peodude
Even when there is no technical line of appeal, it is still worth an appeal giving the mitigating circumstances and asking for discretion. Providing this is done within the discount period then usually the discounted period is extended until they have made their decision. On a good day, they may use discretion and cancel, or even if they don't, you have had more time to save up the amount needed to pay.
cp8759
QUOTE (Sto @ Tue, 23 Oct 2018 - 14:54) *

Stopping on the yellow box because of queuing traffic ahead is forbidden, so you contravened the yellow box. I think you will have no choice but to pay I'm afraid. If you make representations asking them to exercise discretion to cancel, they will reject, but in the mean time you'll have a bit more time to pay.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2020 Invision Power Services, Inc.