Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Camden 21 Notice <_<
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
the-dude-abides
Hi,

Hoping anyone here might have some advice for me.

My vehicle was removed from outside my house on 15 October. I drive it very infrequently - roughly once every 2 or 3 weeks. It was removed for being in a suspended bay. I was completely unaware that it was happening - though I suspect ignorance is not going to get me far in this. Below are some different things I'm thinking about, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• I don't know when the suspension notice was put up, I believe they need to provide at least 14 days notice. The sign says it was printed on 21 September but that's not evidence when it went up. I gather I should call the council and ask for the date it was put up? Would they need to prove this with photos?
  • I don't know if my car was there the whole time the notice was up. Do they have to record the vehicles already parked?
  • The notice was only put on one pole. There is a closer pole to where my vehicle was parked that did not have the notice on it - surely the notice should be placed on both poles? The further pole where the notice was placed is about ~10m where I parked. The closer pole is about ~3m from where I parked.
  • Where does a bay start and end? There are no markings on the ground. The notice says outside 58 to 62 inclusive. Where do those bays start and end? Is that left to the public to just figure out? From what I can tell I was between 58 and 56 but that depends on how the bays are divided and where one starts and the other ends?
  • The camden website says the notice will be placed on the post for that bay - see quote below. How does one tell which post is for which bay? Surely the closest pole to the bay is for that bay? In which case the notice should have been on both poles?
  • "A suspension is indicated by a bright yellow warning notice which is placed on the post with the sign for that bay. Parking is not allowed until the suspension ends or the display of a ‘return to service’ sticker. " here
  • Is a sign on one post literally the only warning provided for what turns out to be a £265 fine (£65 PCN + £200 removal)?! I would have no problem parking somewhere else but literally had no idea this was happening - surely there is more that should be done as notification? Potentially flyers in doors and cars, emails and/or text to residents on file.
  • A really annoying part, I work 10min away and had they contacted me I could have been there in no time and moved the car and avoided the £200 removal fee if they had just notified me - they have my email and phone number.

I don't have the official pictures yet - they say they could take 24hrs to upload these- however it has now been more than 24hrs and still none. If they get uploaded I will add them to the thread.

Here are my own pictures:

Anyway, I'm not very confident but also pretty disappointed with such a hefty fine whilst being completely oblivious and well intending. Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Incandescent
If you are to continue to park on London streets for extended intervals, then, frankly, you need to be far more proactive than you are at the moment.In fact, I would say you are totally inactive ! The streets of London are public spaces on which you can park, but are, from time to time, subject to restrictions like suspension of parking and you need to keep on top of this to avoid hassle like this.

A reasonable period for a suspension is generally 7 days in advance.

From your photos the signs appear adequate, but the problem is you didn't regularly visit your vehicle ! For continuous bays like this, (not subdivided into individual vehicle slots), the only way they can suspend part of it is to quote the house numbers. They are being helpful here as if they didn't do this, the whole bay would have to be suspended.

I would submit reps on the basis of insufficient notice of the suspension, and see what they say. Also point out you are resident, (maybe of long standing), and consider the penalty to be excessive, as the vehicle could have been moved "round the corner". In addition they are suppose to record vehicles present when the suspension notices are erected so they can decide whether or not to issue PCNs and tow.

Are you a permit holder ?
the-dude-abides
Hi, thanks for your your reply.

Yes I am a resident and have a resident permit for the bay.

Inactive is probably a fair assessment. But I do regularly 'visit' the car. It's basically outside my house so I see it from the living room window and walk past it when leaving the house. That's how I knew immediately that it was gone when I got home. Unfortunately, I rarely walk past the pole with the sign on it though, but regularly pass the pole that didn't have the sign.

I'm a fairly new car owner and thought I had done what was needed when purchasing a parking permit. I didn't think/know suspension of resident parking would happen without residents being notified directly with the emails and numbers the council have on file for the street or perhaps a certain number of bays around the affected area.
cp8759
QUOTE (the-dude-abides @ Tue, 16 Oct 2018 - 21:15) *
Inactive is probably a fair assessment. But I do regularly 'visit' the car. It's basically outside my house so I see it from the living room window and walk past it when leaving the house. That's how I knew immediately that it was gone when I got home. Unfortunately, I rarely walk past the pole with the sign on it though, but regularly pass the pole that didn't have the sign.

The bit in bold is the bit that might save you as you can argue the signage was inadequate.

QUOTE (the-dude-abides @ Tue, 16 Oct 2018 - 21:15) *
I'm a fairly new car owner and thought I had done what was needed when purchasing a parking permit. I didn't think/know suspension of resident parking would happen without residents being notified directly with the emails and numbers the council have on file for the street or perhaps a certain number of bays around the affected area.

I'm sorry to sat you're dreaming if you think you can expect a council to send you an email notification of a suspension. Suspensions are notified with road signs, not emails. Sometimes you get a leaflet through the door, but you cannot rely on that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.