Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Community Speed watch
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
Room101shaggy
As I travel to work each morning, I pass through 4 villages that have community speed watch schemes. None of these villages have any warning signs. What is the legitimacy in the eyes of the law with regards to motorists having to be informed of a speed check area? If I am caught by one of these cameras (I haven't been yet!!) do I have a leg to stand on with the argument, "Where are the warning signs?"
cp8759
Generally being caught by a community speedwatch group will only lead to a warning letter. But there is no requirement for warnings in any event, as you're meant to obey the law all the time, regardless of whether there's any enforcement taking place
typefish
The old people watch in my local area specifically hand out lidar speed detection devices that have expired calibration certificates.
QUOTE (Room101shaggy @ Tue, 18 Sep 2018 - 09:34) *
As I travel to work each morning, I pass through 4 villages that have community speed watch schemes. None of these villages have any warning signs. What is the legitimacy in the eyes of the law with regards to motorists having to be informed of a speed check area? If I am caught by one of these cameras (I haven't been yet!!) do I have a leg to stand on with the argument, "Where are the warning signs?"

Would you expect to defend a murder charge because there were no warning signs? Why should speeding be singled out from other crimes?
Logician
I well remember a senior police officer describing community speed watch to me as "pensioners in deckchairs", he did not take them too seriously and I suggest you don't either!
Jlc
But if they detect a particular problem area then they may call for reinforcements...

Just to reiterate that no warning signs are required - there was a period of 'fair sport' where warnings signs were put up and camera's painted yellow...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.