Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Who gets to choose 'camera' locations ?
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
rogertb
Hi chaps - personally I am a believer in speed control - though there are many occasions where limits are wrongly applied. I live in a road where the traffic ignores the 30 limit, I guess this is the case in every 30 limit in the country, the local police say they don't have the resources and I believe they also don't bother any more and rely on cameras.

Cameras, of course, are a total waste of time as they only keep the speed down 500 yds either side of the thing.

I wondered if I could get a camera installed along my road ... doesn't seem a possibility at all ... then I noticed that there are cameras in a couple of small villages near me, (these towns do not have the speed problems we have with lots of school kids, old people, cars parked either side etc) but they have not just cameras, lots of signage, stripes in the roads humps etc etc - these measure cannot be cheap to install so who instigates them ?

My theory is that a politician, local councillor or whatever, with lots of contacts has been able to persuade the authorities (whoever they are) to do the work to protect HIS road and HIS children going to school !

Is this just a fanciful fantasy ?
cp8759
If you look up the website of your local police / camera partnership, they normally have a blurb explaining how they chose the camera locations. I think your theory is a bit paranoid / OTT and wholly unsubstantiated.
DastardlyDick
My understanding is that putting Speed Camera's up is a last resort on anything but "fast" roads (speed limit of 40mph or over).
It also depends on the number of KSIs (Killed or Seriously Injured) in a given time frame. In Police terms, "Seriously Injured" can mean "incapable of Independent Living" (amputations, brain damage).
On non-fast roads, Cameras are last resort, usually only done if traffic calming measures have failed.
Fredd
QUOTE (DastardlyDick @ Sun, 9 Sep 2018 - 20:04) *
On non-fast roads, Cameras are last resort, usually only done if traffic calming measures have failed.

sign10.gif
DastardlyDick
QUOTE (Fredd @ Sun, 9 Sep 2018 - 20:13) *

sign10.gif

No, seriously, a friend of mine is a County Surveyor!
Tartarus
It also depends on the number of KSIs (Killed or Seriously Injured) in a given time frame. In Police terms, "Seriously Injured" can mean "incapable of Independent Living" (amputations, brain damage).

I believe this requirement was removed back in 2007...? More precisely, minimum KSI is no longer a requisite for a camera to be erected.
typefish
Generally the 85th percentile is used - if this figure - when determined - is above Continuity ACPO's guidelines, then kapow, enforcement is likely to begin.
Charlie1010
‘My theory is that a politician, local councillor or whatever, with lots of contacts has been able to persuade the authorities (whoever they are) to do the work to protect HIS road and HIS children going to school !’

Local councillor had one of the speed display signs installed outside his house. No coincidence.
The issue everyone knows isn’t there but here but they said it was a ‘trial’ and if it worked would be installed here too.
DancingDad
I'd put nothing past local councillors for looking after themselves.
My road adjoins a main road into city.
Suffers from commuter parking at junction often making it difficult to get in or out. No parking controls.
Next road towards city has a large school. No parking controls bar yellow zig zags. Also has commuter parking problems.
Next road has 1 hour parking bays, no commuter parking problems.

Guess which road local councillor lives on ?
notmeatloaf
My local council, Oxfordshire, famously paid for the speed cameras to be turned back on after the police turned them all off (it was a glorious year). I'm pretty certain if you are stumping up cash you get a say in locations, official or otherwise.

They do seem to do things randomly though. Around 2010 the council seemed to go on a real drive to stamp out some of the most lucrative camera locations, so many camera van rural 30s had their limits raised.

However, now they've decided they have no money to repair segregated cycle paths so when one collapses or falls apart on an NSL road they just drop the limit to 40 and say job done.

Weird how these things seem to go in phases.
southpaw82
The power to install speed cameras is vested in the highway authority under s 95A of the Highways Act 1980.
The Rookie
QUOTE (typefish @ Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 23:29) *
Generally the 85th percentile is used - if this figure - when determined - is above Continuity ACPO's guidelines, then kapow, enforcement is likely to begin.

You may have noticed the demise of the 85th percentile assessment as well......
Charlie1010
Just returned from town.
Two bikers overtook me at speed in a 30 while I’m indicating and actually starting to turn right into my drive.
We used to call them road warriors on their crotch rockets but now we calll them organ donors.
typefish
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Mon, 17 Sep 2018 - 11:51) *
QUOTE (typefish @ Mon, 10 Sep 2018 - 23:29) *

You may have noticed the demise of the 85th percentile assessment as well......

Oddly enough I haven't noticed this in my area. Heard rumours of a 50th percentile measurement in some places, what on earth...

It's still being measured at the very least - but totally ignored for things like setting speed limits, as it appears.
Tartarus
QUOTE (typefish @ Wed, 19 Sep 2018 - 11:32) *
Oddly enough I haven't noticed this in my area. Heard rumours of a 50th percentile measurement in some places, what on earth...

Certainly for many insurance purposes a la black box tracking, 50th percentile and above starts to erode your driver speed score component... but it doesn't do it that severely until you reach 90th or above.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.