Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Query on a red light operation/camera (pic and link attatched)
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
Quinn
Hi everyone, just after a quick right or wrong answer here.

So I am adding a picture with the manouvre I made, the car in front was static and not moving. Light on the right was green, light on the left was red. Didn't go through the bus lane at all, just moved round the car sat at the traffic lights, I think he had stopped as the light on the left was red but we were already through and there seems to be no stoppage lines apart from on the bus lane...

That red light on the left looks like it operates the bus lane but I am not quite sure of this set up, can anyone advise? Should I expect a ticket?

Thank you to anyone who can help

Link to exact location...

https://goo.gl/maps/kzud3JS4M4B2

frazzeld
Isn't the red light on the left for people crossing the road
Logician
That is a very confusing layout, but I think the red light on the left is the advanced light for the light controlling the bus lane, while the green light is the advanced light for the light controlling the traffic not in the bus lane which is some way back. That light and its stop line are shown HERE.

If that is correct, you did nothing wrong in going forward inside the car stopped in understandable confusion, as you did not go into the bus lane.
Slapdash
What a dogs dinner.

The offside light is the secondary for the stop line some yards back. Given the distance and the crossing point just in front of it it is not surprising people stop at it on red rather than continuing.

The nearside secondary for the bus lane only confuses things further since it is likely to be showing a different colour.

notmeatloaf
Does not look confusing to me. Two different traffic lights across two different stop lines some distance apart. Pretty clear which stop line matches up with which lights.

As the OP did not cross the bus stop line no offence has been committed. In fact the junction is set up to allow that path.

If you find that confusing logically you would find the bus lane merges where lights stop traffic and go green for the bus lane as the bus approaches. There the stop lines are in exactly the same place and the nearside signal for cars us immediately next to the offside signal for buses. But most people seem able to understand it.
DancingDad
AFAIK, Coventry doesn't do red light offences, council can't anyway and it looks like only cameras are council ones.
If they were to try on a bus lane contravention, post up in council forum, signage is against them.
Bloody silly layout anyway.
I can understand red light on the bus lane but the second on far side of junction is confusing.
Quinn
Thank you everybody, I didn't think I had done anything wrong but the wife said I went through that red light. It made me panic a bit as the other car was still sat at that junction. Going round him and through that red, looking back at streetview made me paranoid.
typefish
I'd reckon all that would be needed would be a set of louvers for the bus lane's traffic lights and the confusion would disappear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.