Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking Eye ANPR Systems
FightBack Forums > Queries > Private Parking Tickets & Clamping
parthadey
Dear all,

I hope everyone is well and I'd like to share my experiences I've had with ParkingEye.

Background

Our car went into ASDA which used ParkingEye ANPR. It went in at around 14:00 and left at around 14:30 and then went in again at 22:00 and left at around 22:30. We received a parking charge (£70 if paid within 28 days, £40 if paid within 14 days etc.) stating that we came in at around 14:00 and left at 22:30. See what happened there?

We believe what had happened is the camera(s) had not picked up or initial exit and upon seeing our car again at 22:00, the software was not properly configured to emit the previous visit because how could we be entering if we haven't exited.

Why?

Our car is very compact, so there is a good chance our rear number plate could have been obscured on the initial exit.

How could this have happened?

1) Machine Vision

Parking Eye ANPR and most ANPR used commercially employ Machine Vision to automatically inspect and analyse plate numbers. The system works by recognising that the rear number plate is yellow and it uses polygons, polygons which match the profile of a rear number plate as seen from the set angle of descent is then mathematically modelled and weighted against a probability model to determine whether not it's scanning a number plate or something else (like a pedestrian, or a piece of paper on the road or something)

2) Descent Angle

If the camera is placed incorrectly and at a comprising descent angle, there is a chance that number plates are not picked up especially at times where there is a high concentration of cars

3) Operational procedure

ANPR system is of course not full proof and parking charges should ideally have a human eye verify each and every single one, unfortunately this is not always possible so please appeal any ticket you felt that was unfairly placed upon you!

Aftermath

These points were raised and now the parking charge has been "cancelled and there is no outstanding payment due."

The Point

Guys please fight back, don't only appeal these tickets if you've done no wrong, write/call/email to the store (ASDA, Tesco, whoever it is) to ask them to review the matter and if you feel the same has happened as it did with me, raise the point, if enough of us pick at ParkingEye and their practises we can bring light onto the matter.

Parking charges bring a huge amount of stress on people, many who don't have the funds to pay are stuck in a cycle of debt, CCJs and it is something we cannot accept as consumers.

I'd be interested in experiences other have had with ParkingEye and other ANPR systems they feel have wronged them!

(I've attached the letter with dates, times and references blanked out for security)
ostell
This is a known problem with ANPR systems, know as double dip. I think the software records the entry then at the end of the day starts at the end of the data and works backwards so that it finds the second exit first and so doesn't even look for the first exit. There is a better description in the Parking Prankster blog.

Lynzer of this parish attached a number plate onto a shopping trolley and got a ticket.

Complain to ASDA. Find the actual manager and not the customer disservice desk. If you were anywhere else at that time have you got receipts etc or can you get statements that you were with someone else? PE know their system is not reliable, but swear blind that it is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.