Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Received photos - help
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Swinny0
On request I have received the information I asked for regarding speeding through roadworks on a dual carraigeway.
I have the calibration report for the LTI20-20TS/M SpeedScope which was completed within the last year. I also received two photographs. The second one clearly shows the vehicle registration number, but also shows 'TIMEOUT', so I am lead to believ that this cannot be used. The first photograph that was taken shows the number plate but it is unreadable, totally.
How do we stand on this? Can they use the second photo to prove the number plate on the car, or is this inadmissable? Can they 'blow up' the first photo or is this classed as 'tampering with evidence'?
The 'offence' occurred on a stretch of dual carraigeway that had a 50mph restriction enforced due to roadworks, when it had been noted by many that no work had been completed for a number of weeks, and took place on a Sunday.
Any help would be appreciated.
Peter_D
If there were speed signs that said 50 then 50 it was. It is not up to the driver ,or God, being a Sunday, to make up their own mind whether the temp speed limit was in force. The 'time out' was just to clarify your reg. The admisable evidence is the video that will no doubt keep you in the frame from a valid speed reading into the time out that clearly showed you reg. Complete the Wizard and await further advice !! .Regards Peter
Quattro
QUOTE (Swinny0 @ Fri, 23 Jun 2006 - 16:52) *
The second one clearly shows the vehicle registration number, but also shows 'TIMEOUT', so I am lead to believ that this cannot be used. The first photograph that was taken shows the number plate but it is unreadable, totally.
How do we stand on this?

The stills you have are just part of the video they will use to prosecute you.

The video will show

1/. There will be a pause between their last target and you to enable them to mae a prior opinion (cough)
2/. They will target your vehicle and a possible error will appear on the screen.
3/. A speed will then appear on the screen which is the speed they say you were doing.
4/. Then the log number changes
5/. Then a 'timeout' appears
6/. Then both the 'timeout' and the speed disappear.
7/. Then they track your car until they can read your number plate.

Sorry to say that the 'timeout' does not let you off, but they do make other mistakes, so if you want to fight this, wait until you get your summons bundlle, then wash and post it on here.

Good luck With it.
Swinny0
Guess we've pretty much had it then!

Another query though. We have received three requests now for the information, each being returned as requested, the 2nd and 3rd saying that they still had not received the information etc, etc,
I returned the 2nd and 3rd by recorded delivery, then suddenly they got it!
Question is...... does the endorsement start from the time of the offence, or from when they put it on your licence. Reason being that the offence was in March, and it's taken them til June to finally acknowledge receipt!
Quattro
QUOTE (Swinny0 @ Fri, 23 Jun 2006 - 19:05) *
Guess we've pretty much had it then!

Not necessarily, answer the questions in the 'read this first' bit'

QUOTE (Swinny0 @ Fri, 23 Jun 2006 - 19:05) *
Another query though. We have received three requests now for the information, each being returned as requested, the 2nd and 3rd saying that they still had not received the information etc, etc,
I returned the 2nd and 3rd by recorded delivery, then suddenly they got it!
Question is...... does the endorsement start from the time of the offence, or from when they put it on your licence. Reason being that the offence was in March, and it's taken them til June to finally acknowledge receipt!

Points start from the day of the offence.
Swinny0
one thing that does give me cause for concern is that out of the two photos given, the first says 59mph (which is what we are being done for) the second 'timeout' says 66 mph. This in a timeframe of 5 seconds.
The stretch of road is on an incline, and the car is a dieseld Clio (non turbo), and I know for a fact that there is no way it can accelerate from 59 to 66 in 5 seconds UPHILL!!!
Mika
QUOTE (Swinny0 @ Sat, 24 Jun 2006 - 09:27) *
one thing that does give me cause for concern is that out of the two photos given, the first says 59mph (which is what we are being done for) the second 'timeout' says 66 mph. This in a timeframe of 5 seconds.
The stretch of road is on an incline, and the car is a dieseld Clio (non turbo), and I know for a fact that there is no way it can accelerate from 59 to 66 in 5 seconds UPHILL!!!

The other speed (66mph) was probably recorded against another vehicle – take a look at this page.
Swinny0
Hi
After reading the wealth of information on this site I can only say one thing - wish I'd found the site saooner - damn it!!

Anyway, my situation now is that I received the original NIP back in March which I completed and returned, along with a request for a copy of photograph and calibration report.
May I received a second NIP, giving me two weeks. Completed and returned, alongside a copy of my first letter, and an additional letter stating what I had already returned. Sent recorded delivery.
June came - 3rd request for information, now giving me 7 days. I returned the information requested, a copy of the original letter, a copy of the second letter, and now a third letter (getting a bit snotty now), sent recorded delivery.
3 days later I received a 'conditional offer', along with a letter stating that they had received my leter, noted my comments, proceedings are to continue.
I haven't completed the offer, due to expire 20/07/2006, but sent a fourth letter requesting the information, recorded delivery. 10 days later nothing.
Fifth letter of request sent, still recorded, and now I'm concerned that I have only a week left before the offer expires.
If I don't receive a response by the expiry date then what should I do?
I have not contested the fact that I was the driver, but I did state that I was concerned over the speed they stated I was doing and that is why I made the request for info.

Oh, by the way - my girlfriend asked for her information and got it back no problem, same Force, wouldn't DREAM of making any sexually discriminative assumptions though!
The Rookie
They don't have to reveal any evidence at all unless you plead not guilty on receipt of a summons, however if your GF recieved one service and you didn't, doesn't it make you ask what they may have to hide? I would ignore the CoFP and await a summons, then post it on here and it can be gone through, meantime read up on disclosure (of the video)

Simon
Swinny0
If I wait for the summons and go to court, what is it likely to cost me (at the moment it's £60 and 3 points)?
Swinny0
Ha - I've just been reading the Wiltshire Constabulary threads, and decided to see if Northumbria Police had a link for evidence - none though.
I DID find this on their site though!!

[i]A legal obligation under the Freedom of Information Act to give members of the public a general right of access to all types of recorded information that Northumbria Police holds, with certain exemptions, came into effect on 1st January 2005.

Safeguards are in place to ensure we do what we say we will do. The Information Commissioner will monitor to ensure that we are complying with our obligations under the Freedom of Information Act and the Data Protection Act. The law is clear. Anyone who makes a request for information to Northumbria Police must be told whether such information is held and must be supplied with that information, except where certain exemptions apply.

Individuals already have the right of access to information about themselves under the Data Protection Act 1998.

We aim to provide information listed in the Publication Scheme within twenty working days.

Depending on the nature of your request a fee may be payable.[i]

That is - except if you've asked for it FIVE TIMES!!!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.