Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Unknown council PCN-now EQuita.
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Itsyounotme
Hi all new to the Forum so hope this is in correct place.

Looking for some help I have received a letter from EQuita which should hopefully be uploaded.
Click to view attachment
This is the first i have been informed about the oustanding PCN reason being i moved address and there was a delay in updating Dvla (my fault i know).
So the parking offence took place on 24/03/2015 and im guessing letters would have been sent to my old address.
I would have paid this if i had known.
I also had another PCN from 2015 that again i didnt know about until recently when i had a letter of enforcement from Jacobs for a sum of £248 which i paid.
Now i realy dont fancy having to pay that sum again nor have the funds for it so is there any way with me not actualy recieving the PCN or knowing about it that anythink can be done?

All advise greatly appreciated although i understand i have myself to blame for not updating my details with Dvla.

Many thanks.
PASTMYBEST
https://www.gov.uk/appeal-against-a-penalty...ice/out-of-time

Depends what the PCN was for You can apply to submit an out of time declaration but it can be opposed. it is then normal that it is refused by the court officer. You would then need to apply for a judge to consider it. this costs between £100 and £255 I think is the higher amount
hcandersen
You have a letter addressed to you at your current address, yes?

They got this from somewhere, presumably DVLA.

They claim they’ve written ‘previous applicatins for payment’ and you claim you received none.

Either you’re in error or they’ve recently changed the address they use. In which case, their claim to have written previously looks a tad thin.

So, do you still own the vehicle concerned and when was your V5C updated, the date is on the V5C?

Itsyounotme
Thanks the Pcn was for stopping on double yellows to drop my partner off.
If thats then case then would i be better of just paying EQuita to save the hastle and extra costs?

Yes this letter came to my current address.
I would say Dvla as i had another Pcn from 2015 which ended up with Jacobs as stated unless they have updated/shared my info.
This is definatley the first letter ive recieved from them unless as you say they sent some to previous address.
I still own the vehicle and logbook was around september 2015.
It took a while for me to update as was moving address and my dad passed so that was least of my priorities back then.
Would you suggest calling them or speaking to the council first?
Thanks.
cp8759
Unfortunately this is what happens when one moves home and makes no arrangement to have mail forwarded. An OOT decision would be determined by a district judge, as it's a criminal offence to fail to update the V5C I'm not sure "that was least of my priorities back then" would win much sympathy, even in the circumstances you describe. Given you'd have to pay £100 to get a judge to consider your application on the papers, or £255 for a hearing, and this is money that you would not be able to recover in any event, simply paying the £248 might be the more pragmatic approach.
Itsyounotme
Thanks for the reply.
Yes i totally understand that its my own fault.
Looks like paying would be the easiest sollution.
Thanks.
Itsyounotme
QUOTE (cp8759 @ Sun, 29 Jul 2018 - 13:03) *
Unfortunately this is what happens when one moves home and makes no arrangement to have mail forwarded. An OOT decision would be determined by a district judge, as it's a criminal offence to fail to update the V5C I'm not sure "that was least of my priorities back then" would win much sympathy, even in the circumstances you describe. Given you'd have to pay £100 to get a judge to consider your application on the papers, or £255 for a hearing, and this is money that you would not be able to recover in any event, simply paying the £248 might be the more pragmatic approach.

The letter i received. Although its my first and its worded as if its not would i be likely to receive a knock on the door from the bailiffs of would there be a letter to tell me they will be coming?
Thanks.
Neil B
QUOTE (Itsyounotme @ Mon, 30 Jul 2018 - 17:28) *
The letter i received. Although its my first and its worded as if its not would i be likely to receive a knock on the door from the bailiffs of would there be a letter to tell me they will be coming?
Thanks.

Most likely the knock or clamp your car.
Bear in mind the next additional fee, if they visit, is £235.

The answer to your question? Well a bit of a grey area. All notices should be served on you, at your address.
So, with the letter offering no clues where previous notices went, questions arise.
If they served on your old address then they now know not, effectively, served. You might argue that but
it won't change the fact you owe the money and I don't know of an avenue to argue it through anyway.

The age of the debt is notable, being 3+ years.
If it were mine I'd be checking some things with TEC:-

- When the debt was registered

- When a warrant was authorised and for what address

- If and when the address on the warrant has been amended

but again, it wouldn't change much, while at risk of an additional fee.

--
So, on balance, I'm with cp8759
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.