Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 51 in a 30 first office- im terrified!
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
EroticCity
Hi all

This is my first office and I got court by I can only assume a van or a gun back in November 2017. It was recorded at 51 ima 30 zone if I’m honest I don’t even remember doing it.

I drive a company car so it all took longer as I had to say I was the driver. Anyway I’ve had a big pack through the post saying it’s going to court and I’m petrified.
I’m drive for a job, I do in excess of 150 miles a day and I have a work phone on Bluetooth with people demanding me to be everywhere. I was probably just stressed and drive fast. I do have a masternaught tracker on my car.

Anyway I don’t know what to do and I’m scared at what fine and points I may get. I don’t want 6 is there no way I can try and plead to get this lowered? It’s going to affect my job and I’m potentially on a disiplinary for it and it will affect me getting future jobs in this sector as they’re all driving.

Am I best to go to court? What do I do/say. I haven’t a clue about any of this

Thank you
ford poplar
Your Age?
When did you pass the UK driving test?

Ignore the phone when driving, allow it to go to voicemail.

Jlc
That excess won't be less than 6 points. There's a possibility of a short ban but the points are more likely.

It will initially be dealt with by way of postal plea and they will advise if you need to attend court to consider the ban.

The fine (for a guilty plea) will be around 1 week's earnings, costs of £85 and a surcharge of 10% of the fine (min £30).

You can opt for court instead of a postal plea but the guidelines are against you. It's unlikely you'd be able to mitigate for a lower sentence than above.
EroticCity
I’m 25 been driving 4 years.

Would they not take into account my job etc if I actually went to court and pleaded and cried abit? I’m freaking out if I got banned I would lose my job as I have to drive for work.
Jlc
As I said points are more likely - see the guidelines here.

They are guidelines and they can deviate from them but plan for the worst.

That excess is just about the worst speed to be caught at as many forces would offer a fixed penalty (3 points £100) for 49mph, but 50/51mph jumps significantly at court.

You can ask them to consider your circumstances, but be careful you don't provide aggravating factors. I would concentrate on the impact it would have rather than the incident itself.
EroticCity
QUOTE (Jlc @ Fri, 27 Apr 2018 - 13:27) *
As I said points are more likely - see the guidelines here.

They are guidelines and they can deviate from them but plan for the worst.

That excess is just about the worst speed to be caught at as many forces would offer a fixed penalty (3 points £100) for 50mph, but 51mph jumps significantly at court.

You can ask them to consider your circumstances, but be careful you don't provide aggravating factors. I would concentrate on the impact it would have rather than the incident itself.

So just say I work for a living and this could potentially damage any chances of jobs in the future ? And how it will affect my currrent job? Thank you for the help
notmeatloaf
You can do but as has been said magistrates tend to stick to sentencing guidelines closely so even if you offer them a foot rub you will almost certainly get 6 points, unless the offence is in Scotland.

Unfortunately the standard response to "I really need my licence" is "why did you jeopardise it by travelling so far in excess of the speed limit".

Not to be unhelpful but magistrates court is very formulaic with little time for wailing and gnashing of teeth.
cp8759
QUOTE (EroticCity @ Fri, 27 Apr 2018 - 13:22) *
I’m 25 been driving 4 years.

Would they not take into account my job etc if I actually went to court and pleaded and cried abit? I’m freaking out if I got banned I would lose my job as I have to drive for work.

There's a school of thought that if you're a professional driver, you should be especially careful to comply with the law as your livelihood depends on it.
Ocelot
It would be highly unusual to be banned for that speed. Do you have any current points (already having 6 could lead to a totting ban)?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.