Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Speed Awareness Course cock ups
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
beefbhuna
Hi everyone.

I seek a little advice re. a speeding offence – here’s the story…….

I was stopped by a traffic car for speeding (40 in 30) on a gun. He blue lighted me, invited me to the back of his car and showed me his evidence. OK, fair cop.

He asked for all my details for him to check as I do not carry ID. The voice on his radio confirmed my ID and clean licence.

I was offered a speed awareness course which I accepted. Pleased with his pull, I was made to sign a contract on his phone/PDA/gadget and a picture of big smiley me was taken in the back of the car.
This happened on 26 Nov 2017.

I received my further correspondence from the local ticketing office dated 8 Dec, offering me a course or the option of 3 points and a fine. However, the surname on the offer was incorrect. Not just spelt incorrectly but a completely different surname.
I thought through the possible outcomes of ignoring it, booking the course then turning up with a different name on my licence, all kind of things but opted to come clean and tell them. I emailed the ticket office and informed them the surname was not me and they needed to check. Their return email simply said “That’s OK. Just return all the paperwork and mark on it that nobody of that name lives at that address.” So that’s exactly what I did on 18 Dec.

It took until March 22 for them to have another go, and sent a covering letter this time with their offer of a course. The letter started “Re Notice No 1234567890etc” which was a different reference than before, followed by “Due to the late processing of the paperwork outside the normal time period we can offer a course. On this occasion I have made the decision to allow you the opportunity to attend a course.”
But the surname on the offer STILL was not correct. It was a better attempt though and they nearly got it right (by the way, my surname is not foreign sounding or of a strange spelling. It’s as simple as Smith).
So, I emailed them again to say it was not me.

I got my last correspondence dated 3 April 2018 where they finally got my name right.
The letter starts “Thank you for the return of the form confirming you were the driver of the vehicle on the above date. Due to the late admission outside the normal time period we can offer a course etc etc.” I never returned ANY form admitting anything!

My questions are many but where do I stand with this? If I have to do business with them then so be it.

But my other point (food for thought really) is how the hell can they get it so wrong when my full name, address, DOB, place of birth licence number any probably my favourite colour are all correctly entered on the PNC? Or are they not too bothered as long as they get their £95 course fee?

The letter stated I had only 7 days to book onto one of their fantastic courses so I guess my time is up.
The Rookie
The course isn’t part of any legal process, they can make a mess as much as they like, but if they then take you to court and get those details right you won’t have any defence on that basis, while galling it’s in your interest to get it sorted.
beefbhuna
Thanks for that Rookie.

Amazes me how incompetent they are but at the end of the day, I did sign a contract saying I would do business with them. That's all it is. Just business.

On the upside, with the offer of a course, I didn't get that angry sick feeling you usually get when collared for speeding.

Just reading the garb they sent me and it states that all courses must be completed within 4 months of the offence. Mine was over 4 months ago.
Logician
It is an application of Murphy's Law, if things can go wrong they will go wrong; possibly 99% of the time the system works, but in your case it has not for some unknown reason. They clearly have recognised it and are still offering you a course outside their normal rules. You can either make sure you do actually attend the course or point out yet another error, but there is no advantage to be gained and if it goes on too long it may become too late not only for a course but also for a fixed penalty and the only option left is court, which will be more painful than either.
The Rookie
Indeed, its to stop it timing out (allowing for a fixed penalty offer in the interim), as its their own error they seem to be giving you an extra chance.

I doubt you have signed a contract with them though.
beefbhuna
For info, I emailed the ticket office earlier and questioned the paperwork I apparently returned admitting I was the driver etc.

What I received back was an eye opener - a very long apology, none of this is my fault, shouldn't have happened, outside my control and they're very sorry.

Better book my course then.

Thank you all for your help.

Kieran_e1
would time out for a 26th November case not be 26th May so if you booked a course say 25th May and failed to attend I wonder what the outcome would be ?

Would they be efficient enough to raise a summons in 24 hours?
Logician
QUOTE (Kieran_e1 @ Sat, 28 Apr 2018 - 12:21) *
would time out for a 276th November case not be 26th May so if you booked a course say 25th May and failed to attend I wonder what the outcome would be ? Would they be effecient enough to raise a summons in 24 hours?

Would they accept a course booking for 25th May, though? I think they would insist that a course was booked in ample time to take other action if it was not duly completed.

cp8759
QUOTE (Logician @ Sat, 28 Apr 2018 - 12:28) *
QUOTE (Kieran_e1 @ Sat, 28 Apr 2018 - 12:21) *
would time out for a 276th November case not be 26th May so if you booked a course say 25th May and failed to attend I wonder what the outcome would be ? Would they be effecient enough to raise a summons in 24 hours?

Would they accept a course booking for 25th May, though? I think they would insist that a course was booked in ample time to take other action if it was not duly completed.

+1, if there isn't enough time for the course to be completed they'll just institute proceedings. It's in the OP's best interest to book a course asap.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.