Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2 x Dart Charge PCNs
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Mike_hates_PPC
Hello - I have two PCNs for crossing the Dartford bridge going southbound on two different days 28th Feb & 2nd March 2018. Hold my hands up, I totally forgot to pay as the time I got back was really late but the fine is not fair.

Do I have any substantial grounds to make a representation other than forgetting. I have an online account which I though had credit and would notify me via email if funds are low. I called up dart charge and ask if I could pay just the fee (£5) for the two crossing and whether they could use digression and wavier the extra £70 fine (£35 each PCN ) but he said I need to make a representation but I want to represent on point which will make them drop this ridiculous charge. That is why I am here could anyone offer some advice on how I would go about doing this?

Please details to the PCN in question
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v78vw9zyngscwiv/...Sv1B_6sCJa?dl=0
Incandescent
So what is not fair about the penalty ? You crossed and didn't pay the fee, so get a PCN which you can either appeal or pay. It's just like parking or the London Congestion Charge. These are all civil penalties payable if a set of statutory conditions are met, fairness doesn't come into it. Unfairness comes in when the enforcing authority act unfairly when dealing with the outcome of the penalty charge payment or its appeal.

However, back to your problem. You say you have an on-line account, so this is definitely in your favour when you make an appeal, as it indicates you are a regular customer, but for some reason the account failed to make payment. Could you please tell us more about this. The key issue would seem to be - does it commit DART to issue a warning when funds are low ? How is the account topped-up - automatically or manually ?

If you can come back with some more information on your account, advice can be given on what to say in your appeal. Experience of DART so far is that they generally act fairly and are not venal and rapacious like so many councils.
Mike_hates_PPC
Yes, you are right its not really an issue about fairness. I was basically having a mini rant knowing that the current dart charge system can easy catch drivers out and penalty in disproportionate to the offense like most other driving penalty in the UK imo.

But more details about this case, yes I do have an account I don't use the crossing frequently apart from the two crossing this year my previous crossings are below followed by the payment Ive made. I did notice when I logged into my account on Sunday that my account was -£1.50 so I topped up £10. My account is topped up manually and I remember that is how it was done it the past.

09/08/2017 21:17 Northbound
21/04/2016 19:53 Southbound
27/02/2016 16:52 Southbound

Date Amount Payment reference
02/05/2016 £1.00 98279193
28/02/2016 £2.50 86288514

In the past I use to get an email notification stating my account balance was low but not on this occasions or over the last year eg.
Dear Mike

NOTIFICATION OF LOW DART CHARGE ACCOUNT BALANCE

On 29/ 02/ 2016 your Dart Charge account balance is £.83, which is below the minimum account balance threshold.

If you have Auto Top-Up enabled please ignore this email as we will take the funds automatically, otherwise you need to top-up your account. The easiest way to do this is on our website at www.gov.uk/dart-charge where you can also add Auto Top-Up to your account.

Please note that if your account balance goes below £0.00 it will be suspended and you will not be able to use your account to pay for further crossings. You will therefore not benefit from a discount.

Yours sincerely,
cp8759
I suggest you make a representation to the effect that you didn't get the notification email, and if you had received it you would have topped up your account. Dart charge are known to be one of the more reasonable authorities and may well cancel the penalties.
Incandescent
QUOTE (cp8759 @ Fri, 16 Mar 2018 - 21:56) *
I suggest you make a representation to the effect that you didn't get the notification email, and if you had received it you would have topped up your account. Dart charge are known to be one of the more reasonable authorities and may well cancel the penalties.

+1
But will probably ask you to pay the original fees. Don't go in heavy, but do emphasise that you had low balance warnings (emails) in the past and that your payment record is good. Might be best to have the auto-top-up facility ?
Mike_hates_PPC
Thank you guys for your advise.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.