Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Strange new Sunday Hours yellow line PCN
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
FigaroNo
A long shot, but I want to fight what Islington Council have done to Residents zone A. Without any contact by the Council, and no letters or clear information, they changed the local area to No Parking from Midnight till 6am. I’m a resident and pay for local street parking. But all bays within 1/2 a kilometre were taken. So I parked at midnight on a Sunday on a yellow line in this residential street. Believing that as there were no warnings in the street, that I wasn’t breaking any law. The situation comes about as the council take on more resident registrations, yet decrease the parking availability. And they are making a lot of money from outlawing formerly safe yellow lines outside of peak hours. These streets have only residents parking, apart from a few tiny stretches of yellow lines. And with inadequate street marking. I’m used to seeing a restriction notice on yellow lines. But now I learn that I should have seen the local parking zone restriction notice when entering my local area. The thing being that I’d always been able to park within an unoccupied residents bay up till recently. And I’d not learnt of any changes to the parking restrictions I’d known previously. I’d presumed that the sign nearby, shown below, indicated a restriction only for busses and lorries. There was no sign next to this indicating cars could not be parked outside of peak hours. So why are they putting up a sign inside the local zone for goods vehicles and yet not for cars?(!)

I might have a case in stating these facts to my Council, although...! So I realise I’m pushing it. 8-( But I have an intermittent neurological illness that means I’m pretty much broke, and on sickness benefit. So I don’t have the money to pay this unfortunately. I’m on a knife edge financially in terms of running my oldish classic motor. But it provides me some sanity, by driving to the green parks when I can! Yet I realise the council have no interest in this, probably!

One possibility is that the contravention occurred on 5/11/17. Yet the Notice To Owner only came in the post yesterday. I had sent an email to the council, asking for the charge to be dropped. And they’d taken a couple of months to reply! And it’s now March 2018!

Any help is gratefully appreciated!
mickR
I presume the pic is of the place you parked? Across a dropped kerb! Contravention code 27 ?
Please post the pcn suitably redacted of personal info.
stamfordman
You were in zone C. Islington made it Mon - Sat, at any time, Sun, midnight - 6 am awhile ago.
FigaroNo
QUOTE (stamfordman @ Thu, 1 Mar 2018 - 21:58) *
You were in zone C. Islington made it Mon - Sat, at any time, Sun, midnight - 6 am awhile ago.

Yes! I was late to learn of that. As I’d always been able to park in my Residents Zone up til then. I’d never had the need to park on a yellow. I only did it presuming Sunday mornings were safe. sleep.gif

QUOTE (mickR @ Thu, 1 Mar 2018 - 21:12) *
I presume the pic is of the place you parked? Across a dropped kerb! Contravention code 27 ?
Please post the pcn suitably redacted of personal info.

Yes, interestingly Islington hadn’t mentioned the dropped curve. I wouldn’t have done such a silly thing except it was midnight, cold, and I was unable to find anywhere. It’s a very tricky place to find parking. I’ll upload the PCN when I’m back. Do you think the delay in responding to me is of any value?
stamfordman
So what happened - you got a PCN, you challenged, got a rejection and then waited for the NTO? Did you challenge in the discount period?

Looks like you've let it slip to the full £130?

Best post what you have.
Incandescent
What you describe is a political issue, and as Islington are extremely malicious and vindictive towards motorist, you'll struggle to get changes. The idea is, if you live in Islington, to not have a car at all. Only the elite, who can pay for off-street parking, can have cars, (this includes all councillors, of course !!)
DancingDad
I don't even know what the contravention is for ??

Can we see the PCN, NTO and all correspondence please
And any council photos
stamfordman
It's presumable an 01.

We've had a dozen or so of these since Islington changed the zone C hours. It did so because of the night time economy in Clerkenwell to give residents a break. The last one I helped with Islington had forgotten to put up the entry sign on the route the OP took so this is an angle.
FigaroNo
Apologies for the delay. Had trouble shrinking my photos to fit the forum requirements. I think I must go back to check the accuracy of the signs on entry into the local zone, as suggested. As soon as Siberia departs! Here’s the PCN front copy.
FigaroNo
QUOTE (stamfordman @ Thu, 1 Mar 2018 - 23:10) *
So what happened - you got a PCN, you challenged, got a rejection and then waited for the NTO? Did you challenge in the discount period?

Looks like you've let it slip to the full £130?

Best post what you have.

Yes, I emailed Islington within a week of the PCN. Stating that I questioned the validity of the notice. And then asked for their understanding in the circumstances. It took them till 21/12/17 to reply:

“Penalty Charge Notice No. IZ07541902 Date of Issue 05/11/2017 at 01:37
Location of Contravention Dufferin Street [Zone C]

Thank you for your email regarding the above Penalty Charge Notice (PCN).

The PCN was issued because the vehicle was parked in a restricted street during prescribed hours.

<image011.jpg> <image012.jpg> <image013.jpg> <image014.jpg>

I am sorry you could not find a parking place close to your home. However, you must still comply with the parking restrictions using the signs provided.​

The times when you are not permitted to park on a single yellow line are shown on signs at all entry points to the controlled parking zone. It is your responsibility to check the signs on entering the zone in which you intend to park.

I have attached an example of a sign which indicates that parking is restricted at all times Monday to Saturday and Sundays between midnight and 6am.

As the PCN was issued correctly, payment is now due. I have decided that we can accept the discounted amount of £65.00 provided we receive that before 8 January 2018. Please bear in mind that on that date the charge will increase to £130.00.

If you wish to continue to contest the matter, the next stage is that a Notice to Owner will be sent to the person responsible for the penalty charge. This is a necessary legal step and further correspondence will only delay this process.

I am afraid you are unlikely to get a further opportunity to make discounted payment. However, the Notice to Owner will establish liability for the Penalty Charge Notice and the grounds under which representations may be made. If representations are made at this stage and they are rejected, there will be the right of appeal to an independent Environment and Traffic Adjudicator.”

I then replied the next day. Unfortunately showing my absolute lack of knowledge of the implementation of new restrictions on local yellow lines. Although our area is actually more or less free of nightlife:

“I wish to appeal the PCN Notice No. IZ07541902

I want to draw your attention to the fact that the street is not marked as restricted for my small car. The only signs on the street refer to goods vehicles. And residents parking bays. And even Parkopedia states there was no restriction to parking there!

Please see the attached photos....”

I included the photos that I posted earlier...

I’m unhappy that the council allow more cars into the residents bays, till they’re bursting. And without considering that I’m no longer able to find a parking space. Even though I paid for the privilege. And no longer able to park on a yellow line at night, till I can find a Residents space the next day! A letter to my MP beckons. ohmy.gif

Here are 3 of the photos on the Notice To Owner...The 4th Photo, not uploaded, was simply of my registration plate.
PASTMYBEST
Have a look at the map, work out your route into the zone then check the signs. Although GSV is a bit out of date it shows plenty that have not been changed to include the Sunday restriction.

you need to check the entry signs for your route. Have they

https://www.islington.gov.uk/~/media/sharep...s2016.pdf?la=en

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5216273,-...3312!8i6656

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5254924,-...3312!8i6656
FigaroNo
QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Fri, 2 Mar 2018 - 09:06) *
Have a look at the map, work out your route into the zone then check the signs. Although GSV is a bit out of date it shows plenty that have not been changed to include the Sunday restriction.

you need to check the entry signs for your route. Have they

https://www.islington.gov.uk/~/media/sharep...s2016.pdf?la=en

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5216273,-...3312!8i6656

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5254924,-...3312!8i6656

Thanks very much! I’ll be looking into it this weekend. And will post my success or other outcome. 8-)
stamfordman
Those GSVs are out of date. The new times for zone C are in place. I found one that wasn't for one OP but it's been fixed now.

Here's the RTA notice:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2800658

OP - do you live in zone C?

The idea of the zone is to improve residents parking... Although they could make the residents bays 24/7.
FigaroNo
QUOTE (stamfordman @ Fri, 2 Mar 2018 - 09:29) *
Those GSVs are out of date. The new times for zone C are in place. I found one that wasn't for one OP but it's been fixed now.

Here's the RTA notice:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2800658

OP - do you live in zone C?

The idea of the zone is to improve residents parking... Although they could make the residents bays 24/7.

I was living in Zone C at the time of the PCN. When was the out of date Zone entrance fixed? I’ve moved on to new pastures... Zone A!
stamfordman
QUOTE (FigaroNo @ Fri, 2 Mar 2018 - 09:52) *
I was living in Zone C at the time of the PCN. When was the out of date Zone entrance fixed? I’ve moved on to new pastures... Zone A!

The missing sign was in Milton Street near the Barbican.

Your only chance with this is probably to get Islington to exercise discretion for a resident but they haven't so far and I'm afraid you are going to get stuffed for £130 which is appalling but probably inevitable although if you ask nicely in the appeal they may well reoffer the discount. You can of course take it to adjudication but I can't see any error that would be allowed.

A big clue for CPZs is the residents bays - they no doubt have the same times as the CPZ.
PASTMYBEST

So the question is if you re trace your route would it take you past any sign.?
FigaroNo
QUOTE (stamfordman @ Fri, 2 Mar 2018 - 10:07) *
QUOTE (FigaroNo @ Fri, 2 Mar 2018 - 09:52) *

The missing sign was in Milton Street near the Barbican.

Your only chance with this is probably to get Islington to exercise discretion for a resident but they haven't so far and I'm afraid you are going to get stuffed for £130 which is appalling but probably inevitable although if you ask nicely in the appeal they may well reoffer the discount. You can of course take it to adjudication but I can't see any error that would be allowed.

A big clue for CPZs is the residents bays - they no doubt have the same times as the CPZ.

I used to turn in to Zone C near there. I wonder when it was ammended...? I’ll look into it!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.