Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parking sign partially covered by a branch from a tree
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
revenge is sweet
Just found this site-allready paid the ticket long time ago but wondered what others think. I parked on a road in a residents only parking section.There WERE lines on the road but ashamed to say i d idnt know what they were. I didnt see any signs-on my return found a ticket and realised what i had done(didnt do it deliberately).I then looked around again for a sign- it was fixed to a wall of a house which had a buddliea bush growing on the top,and the branches were partially covering it.I took a photo and wrote to them.They refused to accept my explaination.I asked advice from CAB who said it was the drivers responsibility to check for signs,so i paid up.What do others think.PS i dont condone illegal parking.
Ziltro
QUOTE (revenge is sweet @ Mon, 5 Jun 2006 - 10:31) *
Just found this site-allready paid the ticket long time ago but wondered what others think. I parked on a road in a residents only parking section.There WERE lines on the road but ashamed to say i d idnt know what they were. I didnt see any signs-on my return found a ticket and realised what i had done(didnt do it deliberately).I then looked around again for a sign- it was fixed to a wall of a house which had a buddliea bush growing on the top,and the branches were partially covering it.I took a photo and wrote to them.They refused to accept my explaination.I asked advice from CAB who said it was the drivers responsibility to check for signs,so i paid up.What do others think.PS i dont condone illegal parking.

Hmm yes it is the driver's responsibility to check for signs, but it is the council's responsibility to make sure those signs are there, correct, clean and visible. They also have to conform to legally defined diagrams and have to be repeated "at regular intervals" along the parking bay. (if it's long anyway)
Same goes for the lines. Lines without signs = free parking.
Lines drawn incorrectly = free parking.

There's a big difference between illegal parking and obstructive parking.
revenge is sweet
One of the other signs was missing-well there was a post where it maybe should have been.
Zapa
Hi,

I do have a similar case, with the following highlights:

1- Was parked half in bay, half outside on a single yellow line. This was just outside my house
2- The CPZ at the entrance of my street, on the side were I got fined is totally obstructed by not only some branches of a tree but also by another road sign. On the other side, the CPZ sign is clearly visible
3- I was parking there with the objective to pick up my two kids (20 months and 4 weeks old on the day of the PCN), the entrance to my house being 10 meters of the place of offence. I of course parked here rather than the other side of the street as it was easier to bring the kids straight out of the home inside the car rather than having to walk with them (especially the new born one).

Now, I want to appeal (the attendant big smile/laugh when I came out with my older on in my arms saying "too late you already have a ticket" really *** me off) but I am not sure what is the best ground to appeal and would really appreciate your views.

Should I claim:

A- The sign was not visible. Whilst I did not park totally well, I seem to understand that the council also has an obligation to ensure that the road sings are properly visible. Problem: this is my very own street, I do have a parking permit, don't I risk being told that living here I do know about the CPZ limitation even if sign is hidden?

B- Alighting exemption. I was going to pick up my boys, it took longer than 5 minutes (the timeframe displayed on the PCN). Going in, the little one was meant to be ready but my wife had to breast feed him so I stayed longer inside, it being easier inside our home rather than outside, even inside the car.

Should I claim both or would this be counter productive?

Finally, a question about the way the PCN is written. There is nothing near the AT: and the actual location of offence is written underneath the date, ie: underneath ON: . Would this be a case for appeal too??

Thanks for your help and views,

Hervé
Zapa
By the way, got carried away, first question would be of course: Do you think I have a case and a chance to secure success in either option? I have passed the two weeks option to pay the reduced charge, so I take it that now it is worth appealing anyway?

Tks,

Hervé
Clear Skies
zapa, my understanding is they may well of started, but havent finished writing the ticket, and therefore it is NOT a valid ticket , they do have the ability to tear them up, they just dont like doing it..

if u go for it , stick that down as well..

rgds
Bill

this is a good source of information

http://www.lmag.org.uk/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.