Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What's a heavy oil vehicle?
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
stamfordman
I've had a text from Islington saying that from tomorrow diesel and 'heavy oil' vehicles will be charged £2 more per hour to park.

What is a heavy oil vehicle?
PASTMYBEST
QUOTE (stamfordman @ Wed, 3 Jan 2018 - 20:21) *
I've had a text from Islington saying that from tomorrow diesel and 'heavy oil' vehicles will be charged £2 more per hour to park.

Normally diesel, but as compression ignition engines (diesels) can run on a variety of oil based fuels (cooking fat, rapeseed oil) they are classed as heavy oil users. The government can't put diesel on the disc as you may not be using it.
typefish
Diesel powered vehicles, according to my V5.

And it appears PASTMYBEST isn't as past his best as he makes out. Was about to type a PS and he beat me to it.
stamfordman
Good - I was worried our fuel guzzling petrol Volvo would be affected.

PMB just goes on breaking records for his personal best...
QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Wed, 3 Jan 2018 - 20:25) *

Normally diesel, but as compression ignition engines (diesels) can run on a variety of oil based fuels (cooking fat, rapeseed oil) they are classed as heavy oil users. The government can't put diesel on the disc as you may not be using it.

Disc?
PASTMYBEST
QUOTE (666 @ Wed, 3 Jan 2018 - 21:31) *
QUOTE (PASTMYBEST @ Wed, 3 Jan 2018 - 20:25) *

Disc?

You don't think i typed that do you?
Korting
This seems to be ALL diesel vehicles not just ones made before 2015, ie Euro 6.

This is just another way of milking the motorist because lots of vehicles have no petrol or electric equivalent including vans.

Note that Islington is Corbyn country and just as barmy.
spanner345
Heavy oil is normally only used in industry most common is large ships. They use diesel in port or where shipping lanes are tight so to say where manuverability is a concern. Out on the open ocean they burn Heavy oil.
Mad Mick V
It's heavy water that should be a concern esp if there is a couple of Koreans driving the truck. wink.gif

Mick
roythebus
The same Islington that has a blanket 20mph speed limit so buses never get out of 3rd gear so burn 30% more fuel than they ought to if they changed into 4th at 21 mph.

Anyway, how will they KNOW what vehicle has a diesel engine? Are they going to tap in every registration into their computer to find out or smell the fuel tanks?
freddy1
QUOTE (roythebus @ Sun, 7 Jan 2018 - 14:48) *
The same Islington that has a blanket 20mph speed limit so buses never get out of 3rd gear so burn 30% more fuel than they ought to if they changed into 4th at 21 mph.

Anyway, how will they KNOW what vehicle has a diesel engine? Are they going to tap in every registration into their computer to find out or smell the fuel tanks?

where money is involved they will have had a dedicated team writing said computer program already
cp8759

Surely an ANPR system can just look that up automatically from DVLA?
Korting

The answer is yes, you have to put in your reg no before it will issue a ticket, they've doing it for years that way you couldn't give the ticket with time left to another motorist. Now the machine has a link to the DVLA which will check the vehicle, if its a diesel, then extra charges are added to the cost of parking.
jdh
QUOTE (cp8759 @ Sun, 7 Jan 2018 - 16:46) *

Surely an ANPR system can just look that up automatically from DVLA?

While they're at it they can add a 50% surcharge for gaudy colours, base trim levels or out-of-area registrations just because they can.
DancingDad
QUOTE (jdh @ Mon, 8 Jan 2018 - 13:54) *
......While they're at it they can add a 50% surcharge for gaudy colours, base trim levels or out-of-area registrations just because they can.

For years I've been waiting for Red Cars Only on Mondays or something equally as stupid.
It may happen yet.

We've still got some places round here with parking bays each side but one side parking only allowed on Mon, Wed, Friday and the other, Tue, Thurs, Sat. Often seen people caught on the wrong side for the day.
Why not simply have parking one side only all week ?

Sorry, I digress.
Steve_999
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Mon, 8 Jan 2018 - 14:02) *
. . . .

We've still got some places round here with parking bays each side but one side parking only allowed on Mon, Wed, Friday and the other, Tue, Thurs, Sat. Often seen people caught on the wrong side for the day.

Sorry, I digress.

Probably to prevent anyone parking their car for a few days without moving it.

Or, maybe, they achieve a greater revenue stream from that arrangement!
jdh
......While they're at it they can add a 50% surcharge for gaudy colours, base trim levels or out-of-area registrations just because they can.

For years I've been waiting for Red Cars Only on Mondays or something equally as stupid.
It may happen yet.

Sorry, I digress.

Various places have done 'odd numbered cars on odd days, even numbers on even days' type schemes to reduce traffic numbers for pollution reasons (IIRC).
ManxRed
QUOTE (jdh @ Mon, 8 Jan 2018 - 14:26) *
Various places have done 'odd numbered cars on odd days, even numbers on even days' type schemes to reduce traffic numbers for pollution reasons (IIRC).

When I was in Mexico City in 1990 they had that.
Tartarus
Haven't a lot of policies such as that just been circumvented by people having an applicable vehicle for each day?
nigelbb
QUOTE (ManxRed @ Mon, 8 Jan 2018 - 15:58) *

When I was in Mexico City in 1990 they had that.

Athens had this at one time too.
ManxRed
QUOTE (Tartarus @ Mon, 8 Jan 2018 - 16:32) *
Haven't a lot of policies such as that just been circumvented by people having an applicable vehicle for each day?

Yes, people started buying 2nd cars, which were old bangers with high emissions that had number plates which allowed them to drive on the other days, and it just made things worse!
DastardlyDick

It may happen yet.

Sorry, I digress.

hey tried that one in Athens a few years ago - all that happened was that people bought a wreck with the 'other' reg and swapped plates!
Athens had a serious pollution problem at the time with smog being visible most days - having 4 'rush hours' per day didn't help!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.