Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: [NIP Wizard] 67mph in 50 mph but photo shows 63mph.
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Staticcar
NIP Details and Circumstances
What is the name of the Constabulary? -
Date of the offence: - December 2017
Date of the NIP: - 3 days after the offence
Date you received the NIP: - 4 days after the offence
Location of offence (exact location as it appears on the NIP: important): - A4174 Bromley Heath, S Glos
Was the NIP addressed to you? - Yes
Was the NIP sent by first class post, second class or recorded delivery? - First
If your are not the Registered Keeper, what is your relationship to the vehicle? -
How many current points do you have? - 0
Provide a description of events (if you know what happened) telling us as much about the incident as possible - some things that may seem trivial to you may be important, so don't leave anything out. Please do not post personal details for obvious reasons - Thanks all,

Long time listener, first time caller!

I have received a NIP, from manned equipment, for 67 in a 50mph zone.

I am not doubting the NIP or that I was driving or speeding. The problem I have is that the photo that I have accessed on the A&S website shows the speed as 63mph with the only other photo of my car showing no speed. I am not sure if this is the money shot or not but 63mph allows me to do a speed awareness course and keep a clean license whilst 67mph is above the threshold. Is this a typing error and can I raise it with them and ask for a speed awareness course? or are these photos inconsequential?

Call me inattentive but I genuinely don't know if I was doing 63 or 67 at that particular time so can not even guess if it is correct or not.

I will post some photos below if you give me a few minutes.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

NIP Wizard Responses
These were the responses used by the Wizard to arrive at its recommendation:
Have you received a NIP? - Yes
Are you the Registered Keeper of the vehicle concerned (is your name and address on the V5/V5C)? - Yes
Did the first NIP arrive within 14 days? - Yes
Although you are the Registered Keeper, were you also the keeper of the vehicle concerned (the person normally responsible for it) at the time of the alleged offence? - Yes
Were you driving? - Yes
Which country did the alleged offence take place in? - England

NIP Wizard Recommendation
Based on these responses the Wizard suggested that this course of action should be considered:
  • The law requires you to provide the information requested in the Section 172 notice within the 28 day period, naming yourself as the driver. If you are considering obtaining formal legal advice, do so before returning the notice.

You should note that there is nothing to be gained by responding any earlier than you have to at any stage of the process. You are likely to receive a Conditional Offer of a Fixed Penalty (COFP) and further reminder(s). If you want to continue the fight, you should ignore all correspondence from the police until you receive a summons. You need to understand from the outset that while you will receive much help and support from members on the forums, you will need to put time and effort into fighting your case and ultimately be prepared to stand up in court to defend yourself.

Generated by the PePiPoo NIP Wizard v3.3.2: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 17:17:19 +0000
superSmiffy
It depends upon the device; some will give a continuous speed readout and your 63mph may be after or indeed before you were seen at 67mph.

Your images will reveal the device.

The images are given to assist you recalling the event and to ID the driver.
Staticcar
Image 1

Image 2 only other image

NIP states 67mph I can upload that as well [redacted] if useful.

Again thanks for any help.
BaggieBoy
It's quite possible they pinged you multiple times and that 67 was highest speed. Is the 50 limit in the foreground of the second image a higher or lower limit then the preceding one, i.e. is it likely you were speeding up or slowing down?
Jlc
My guess was it was here. The sign is a repeater.

I would make a bemused phone call about the 63/67. It was a mobile unit.
Staticcar
It is the spot highlighted by JLC and the sign is a repeater on quite a long road.

I think I would just be maintaining speed at that point but given it is a slight downwards slope, I am in the outside lane and did not spot the speed camera van I may have sped up after that ping. Unless there was a car hindering me I can not imagine I would slow down there (as bad as that sounds).

I will give them a call when they open again after Christmas and query it, I guess I only have a few minutes of my life to lose.

Thanks for all the help.
superSmiffy
QUOTE (Jlc @ Sat, 23 Dec 2017 - 17:44) *

Yes that will not be spotted at all.

Why not just a phone call?

It is likely that the vehicle has been measured more that once. Call and ask if they are sure its 67; you never know it may be a mistake.

Don't act bemused as the staff at the ticket office are just likely to be amused.
Jlc
Bemused = confused/puzzled.

Quite normal when the photo’s say one thing and the NIP something else. There's nothing to lose as the facts will win through.
southpaw82
QUOTE (superSmiffy @ Sat, 23 Dec 2017 - 19:45) *
QUOTE (Jlc @ Sat, 23 Dec 2017 - 17:44) *

Yes that will not be spotted at all.

Why not just a phone call?

It is likely that the vehicle has been measured more that once. Call and ask if they are sure its 67; you never know it may be a mistake.

Don't act bemused as the staff at the ticket office are just likely to be amused.

If he is bemused (and it sounds like he is) I see no reason not to make a bemused phone call.
Staticcar
***Update***

Thanks everyone for your help.

Phoned up on Dec 27th with a polite but naive approach. Asked if there had been a mistake and if so could I be given a SAC. She said she would check for me although it sounded a little like I was being fobbed off.

I got an email this morning saying 'Notice Cancelled'. No explanation as to why (I assume the reasons above). A nice late Christmas present for myself. I shall heed the warning though.

Thanks again for all the help.
Jlc
Good news! They do sometimes cancel out of 'embarrassment'.
The Rookie
QUOTE (superSmiffy @ Sat, 23 Dec 2017 - 20:45) *

Well amused or not, it worked!

Well done, it’s not that unusual for cases to be cancelled even though legally there may be no reason to, whether is embarrassment, sense of fair play or what I don’t know.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.