Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NIP - Running Red Light
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
HeathrowAirporter
Last Sunday Morning, I was proceeding briskly (60 mph) along a National Speed Limit Dual Carriageway when the traffic lights changed as I was pretty close and, as the road surface was wet, greasy and icy, I wasn't able to pull up in time. Fair enough, I've gone over the lights so according to the camera, "I'm bang to rights." I kind of think, in the good old days, the "friendly but firm" face of a Police Patrol Driver would have given me a dressing down but not reported it further.

I've received the NIP this morning which is being "offered" as a Fast Track Fixed Penalty Notice and I may be offered a Driver Awareness Course.

Given that I committed the offence and hold my hands up and say "Yes, I did it and I know I did it!" should I just accept it, pay the fine and take the hit on my licence? I don't suppose the wet, grease and ice would elicit any sympathy from the magistrates as I should have been driving within my own and the car's capabilities.

Anyone know what sort of fine I can expect?
BaggieBoy
Assuming you didn't cross the line too long after it turned red, then it will be £100 and 3 points. Fine (but not points) will be higher if it went to court (plus costs and victim charge). Take the course if offered, it has no effect on your driving record, except that certain insurance companies may ask and penalise.

Road conditions are not a defence for passing on red, as if you say if the conditions were not good then greater care should have been exercised.
HeathrowAirporter
QUOTE (BaggieBoy @ Thu, 21 Dec 2017 - 11:41) *
Assuming you didn't cross the line too long after it turned red, then it will be £100 and 3 points. Fine (but not points) will be higher if it went to court (plus costs and victim charge). Take the course if offered, it has no effect on your driving record, except that certain insurance companies may ask and penalise.

Road conditions are not a defence for passing on red, as if you say if the conditions were not good then greater care should have been exercised.

Thanks Baggieboy - that's exactly what I thought. Much as I hate the idea of spending a morning being "educated", it's infinitely preferable to getting points.
The Rookie
Or getting hit by another car I'd suggest?

Good luck.
cp8759
QUOTE (HeathrowAirporter @ Thu, 21 Dec 2017 - 11:34) *
Last Sunday Morning, I was proceeding briskly (60 mph) along a National Speed Limit Dual Carriageway when the traffic lights changed as I was pretty close and, as the road surface was wet, greasy and icy, I wasn't able to pull up in time. Fair enough, I've gone over the lights so according to the camera, "I'm bang to rights."

Well it depends. In theory, if you could persuade the magistrates that due to the amber time being too short, it would have been impossible for you to comply with the red light no matter how hard you tried, they should acquit (because as a general rule Parliament is assumed not to intent to punish someone for something truly beyond their control, unless explicit words in the statute indicate the contrary). Therefore if you can show that a careful and competent driver, who is making every effort to comply with the law, could not have complied with the red traffic light, you may have a valid defence. However the amber time will have been set by highways engineers based on the speed limit prevailing on the road, and you would also have to show that you were not driving at a speed that exceeds the speed appropriate for the conditions (and if a road is wet, greasy and icy, it is arguable that 60mph is too fast especially if you have summer tyres fitted to the car), so this would be a real uphill battle. But it is a possibility should you want to fight this.

From memory I think the threshold for a course is something like 1.9 seconds into red, if your time into red is below this then taking a course might be the more pragmatic option.
Fredd
QUOTE (cp8759 @ Thu, 21 Dec 2017 - 14:28) *
However the amber time will have been set by highways engineers based on the speed limit prevailing on the road,

No, it won't - it's a fixed duration, however counter-intuitive that may seem.
fedup2
Fill the nip in,and do the course.
Jlc
QUOTE (Fredd @ Thu, 21 Dec 2017 - 14:46) *
However the amber time will have been set by highways engineers based on the speed limit prevailing on the road,

3 seconds +/- 0.25 second. If the actual timing is under 2.75 seconds then there's possibly an angle.
cp8759

Well I'll have to start writing to my local highways authority about all the lights they have with different timings!
Fredd
QUOTE (cp8759 @ Sun, 24 Dec 2017 - 18:01) *

Well I'll have to start writing to my local highways authority about all the lights they have with different timings!

Yes, or get yourself a new watch for Christmas!
cp8759
QUOTE (Fredd @ Sun, 24 Dec 2017 - 18:52) *
QUOTE (cp8759 @ Sun, 24 Dec 2017 - 18:01) *

Yes, or get yourself a new watch for Christmas!

I have a list of ongoing complaints with the local highways authority, I'll just add it to the list.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.