Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Driving Licence Problem
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
CplColon
Due to reasons that may come up for discussion elsewhere, I have just found out that my wife "never got around to" changing her driving licence from her maiden name to her married name. We've been married 23 years...

How much trouble is she in and what can we do about it?
AntonyMMM
None at all - her maiden name is still her name, whether she chooses to use her married name or not. Plenty of women use different names personally and professionally. If she needs to show the link between the two she can produce her marriage certificate.

If she wants to update her driving licence, it isn't difficult.

https://www.gov.uk/change-name-driving-licence
Slapdash
I assume the insurance is in her married name? In which case it may cause some questions in the event of a claim. Increasingly insurers are demanding sight of license as part of the underwriting process so there may come a point at which it is easier to change the name on the licence.
Logician
I am not surprised she does not want to be known as Mrs Colon!
Ocelot
As long as the address is correct it should be ok.
StuartBu
QUOTE (Slapdash @ Thu, 7 Dec 2017 - 11:29) *
I assume the insurance is in her married name? In which case it may cause some questions in the event of a claim. Increasingly insurers are demanding sight of license as part of the underwriting process so there may come a point at which it is easier to change the name on the licence.

I can see where those things are sort of related it might cause problems but afaiu you can be known by any name you like so long as it isn't for fraudulent purposes
Slapdash
QUOTE (StuartBu @ Thu, 7 Dec 2017 - 21:23) *
QUOTE (Slapdash @ Thu, 7 Dec 2017 - 11:29) *

I can see where those things are sort of related it might cause problems but afaiu you can be known by any name you like so long as it isn't for fraudulent purposes

Yes you can. But it can cause difficulties. I had issues with a mortgage with my partner where everthing was registered with lr under her married name and she has reverted to a previous name.

It cime down to "you cant do that" "we did. Your move".

Simply it can be easier to do what they want rather than what you want. Chance of a serious peoblem with the insurers? Small. Chance of having to "bat it off" higher.
The Rookie
Police stop your wife, ask her name 'Mrs Colon', they check and find that while she is insured they can't find a record of a driving license in that name, car seized, the fee has to be paid even though she has a driving licence in the name of Miss Duodenum.

While its not an offence, if the Police have reasonably held belief the driver is unlicensed they can seize the car, so maybe worth carrying her DL and marriage cert 'proof' (sufficient to appease a copper at the roadside) or similar until its been updated.
disgrunt
QUOTE (CplColon @ Thu, 7 Dec 2017 - 07:47) *
Due to reasons that may come up for discussion elsewhere ...."never got around to" changing

This happened to me, I realised I'm been zapped and my licence still had a previous address and out of date photo (didn't want to pay for new photo. I quickly updated it so it was ready when "the other reasons that may come up for discussion elsewhere" arrived and I could respond promptly.

paulajayne
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 8 Dec 2017 - 06:13) *
Police stop your wife, ask her name 'Mrs Colon', they check and find that while she is insured they can't find a record of a driving license in that name, car seized, the fee has to be paid even though she has a driving licence in the name of Miss Duodenum.

While its not an offence, if the Police have reasonably held belief the driver is unlicensed they can seize the car, so maybe worth carrying her DL and marriage cert 'proof' (sufficient to appease a copper at the roadside) or similar until its been updated.

Very funny. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif - On the name.

As said not a problem but could cause them.

Main one is her current address correct?

Churchmouse
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 8 Dec 2017 - 06:13) *

Who doesn't carry a driving licence whilst driving these days? Insurance in the wrong name might be more of a problem, but I have a hard time believing that the police would seize a woman's car under such circumstances. It's not like she'd have forgotten her previous name...

--Churchmouse
Fredd
QUOTE (Churchmouse @ Fri, 8 Dec 2017 - 12:59) *
Who doesn't carry a driving licence whilst driving these days?

Many people; I won't say most because I can't prove it, but I wouldn't be at all surprised.
cabbyman
I don't. I still have the old green paper one issued in the '70s.
typefish
I only carry my licence when I think I'm going to be needing my wallet. Otherwise, it's one less thing to worry about.
DancingDad
Pink licence, stays in the safe with other important papers.
The Rookie
You can't carry the old paper licence and it last 20 years.......
cabbyman
.....or 40 years, in my case! smile.gif
Anon Y Mouse
I don't even know where my licence is, let alone carry it with me. If I were to loose my wallet or get it stolen, it's something else that needs to be replaced or a criminal could use to steal my identity.
Tartarus
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Fri, 8 Dec 2017 - 16:41) *
You can't carry the old paper licence and it last 20 years.......

I beg to differ, mine was in my wallet for over 20 years and only replaced it a few years back with a photo card as I moved location. My parents both had the paper licence and both only updated recently because they both reached 70 and had to reapply.
Churchmouse
QUOTE (Anon Y Mouse @ Fri, 8 Dec 2017 - 21:26) *
I don't even know where my licence is, let alone carry it with me. If I were to loose my wallet or get it stolen, it's something else that needs to be replaced or a criminal could use to steal my identity.

What do you non-carriers use for photo ID, like for picking up parcels at the Post Office?

I ask because I come from a country where the driving license (spelt precisely thus) is the primary form of identification. I moved the UK after the photocard had been introduced, but when the paper "counterpart" was still in use. I am surprised there are still people who only have the "standalone" paper one, frankly.

--Churchmouse
Fredd
QUOTE (Churchmouse @ Sat, 9 Dec 2017 - 18:19) *
What do you non-carriers use for photo ID, like for picking up parcels at the Post Office?

We take some photo ID. What we don't do is routinely carry photo ID that we rarely need to produce on the off-chance that we'll need to pick up a parcel that we forgot failed to be delivered the day before. smile.gif
nigelbb
QUOTE (Fredd @ Sat, 9 Dec 2017 - 19:27) *

We take some photo ID. What we don't do is routinely carry photo ID that we rarely need to produce on the off-chance that we'll need to pick up a parcel that we forgot failed to be delivered the day before. smile.gif

In any case you don't need photo ID to collect a parcel from the Post Office.
panther12
Can those, like me, with the old paper licence who are over 45 and passed car test years ago before the licence laws changed still drive a 7.5t & 16 seater minibus without additional test or medicals?
baroudeur
QUOTE (panther12 @ Sun, 10 Dec 2017 - 12:19) *
Can those, like me, with the old paper licence who are over 45 and passed car test years ago before the licence laws changed still drive a 7.5t & 16 seater minibus without additional test or medicals?

Yes, but you will need a CPC to drive them professionally.
nigelbb
QUOTE (panther12 @ Sun, 10 Dec 2017 - 13:19) *

Those of us who passed the car test years ago before the licence laws changed can still drive a 7.5t & 16 seater minibus without additional test or medicals even when we have exchanged our old paper licence for a modern driving licence with photo ID.
Slapdash
However, if you need to make a medical declaration then the groups go to the current set. I.e. C1 and D1 disappear.
Ocelot
QUOTE (Anon Y Mouse @ Fri, 8 Dec 2017 - 21:26) *

I ask because I come from a country where the driving license (spelt precisely thus) is the primary form of identification. I moved the UK after the photocard had been introduced, but when the paper "counterpart" was still in use. I am surprised there are still people who only have the "standalone" paper one, frankly.

--Churchmouse

I don't have any photo ID, apart from an old passport which expired last year. Had the pink licence last updated 20 years ago.
panther12
QUOTE (nigelbb @ Sun, 10 Dec 2017 - 16:29) *
QUOTE (panther12 @ Sun, 10 Dec 2017 - 13:19) *

Those of us who passed the car test years ago before the licence laws changed can still drive a 7.5t & 16 seater minibus without additional test or medicals even when we have exchanged our old paper licence for a modern driving licence with photo ID.

Thanks for clarifying that. Don't know why but I always (mistakenly) thought that once you changed from an old paper to photo licence you then had to undergo periodic medicals from age 45 if you still wanted the up to 7.5t & 16 seater entitlement on your licence.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.