Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: UK CPM
FightBack Forums > Queries > Private Parking Tickets & Clamping
Hugh Jaleak
Trying to help a friend out, she's recieved a PCN from UK CPM after visiting a friend in London. Area is subject to to parking controls, which she was well aware of, friend gave her a visitors permit to display, which is clearly shown in the photograph.

UK CPM are claiming its invalid, and are demanding a £100 charge. Have lodged an appeal with them, but they have referred us to the ias, as it was outside the 28 day appeal window. The ias now want £15 to register to appeal, will it be cheaper just to pay the ticket?
[/left]
[left]
Jlc
QUOTE (Hugh Jaleak @ Mon, 27 Nov 2017 - 11:37) *
The ias now want £15 to register to appeal, will it be cheaper just to pay the ticket?

Neither.

Why was the permit 'invalid'?
nosferatu1001
No, you do not appeal to the IAS. Under NO circumstance here will you do so.

What do the signs state? do they state the permit must have x,y, z to be valid, or does it just state "valid permit"?
Hugh Jaleak
Thankyou both for the responses. Have tried to edit original post to remove spelling error, and made it even worse. Apologies.

Apparently vistors permits can be used for a few days a month, and said days have to be indicated on the permit. She seems to think her friend had indicated the wrong month, i.e. August, not September. First time of visiting, so was reliant on her friends explanation of how the system worked.

Sorry, forgot to add, signs I believe state permit parking only. It is a private development of flats, in London. She was totally unaware of any issue until the PCN landed through the post.
nosferatu1001
OK, so fall back on - what does the friends lease / rental agreement / AST state about parking? Exact, precise words.
Hugh Jaleak
I will endeavour to find out. Thankyou.
Hugh Jaleak
Matter has been passed to a debt collection agency. Have asked for requested information ASAP.
SchoolRunMum
Don't pay £15 to do non-standard IAS. That is AN ABSOLUTE NO.

Don't take daft 'debt letters' seriously.

I am reading your posts as if you were taking this stage seriously, when in fact these cases are almost all won later, at small claim defence stage when Gladstones get involved. And this is covered on every UKCPM thread, hope you have started to search & read some, we can't repeat all advice again on every single thread.
nosferatu1001
Indeed, listen to SRM!

The reason you look into your lease etc now, is to forearm you on this topic.
ostell
I believe that if you pay the £15 for the "independant" appeal by the IAS, the special appeal, then that contract ties you to paying up if you lose. And lose you will.
Jlc
QUOTE (ostell @ Tue, 28 Nov 2017 - 09:06) *
I believe that if you pay the £15 for the "independant" appeal by the IAS, the special appeal, then that contract ties you to paying up if you lose. And lose you will.

Yes, it's a 'binding' contract should you engage them. I wouldn't touch it.
hcandersen
?

This is the IAS website:

https://www.theias.org/appeal-flow-chart

As the PPC subscribes to the IAS you may therefore appeal for free for a non-binding (upon you) decision. That they have suggested you take the 'non-standard appeal' route means that the PPC subscribes to the IAS.

Therefore you have either made an appeal to the company in accordance with their procedures or not. If the latter, then the IAS has no role and they should not refer you to them. If the former, then the 12-month time limit applies.

Is the flow chart incorrect?
nosferatu1001
They are claiming an out of time appeal was received, so they do not have to use the normal IAS appeal.
Churchmouse
QUOTE (nosferatu1001 @ Tue, 28 Nov 2017 - 13:12) *
They are claiming an out of time appeal was received, so they do not have to use the normal IAS appeal.

POPLA reserves the right to reject late appeals; IAS decided to allow them--but only in exchange for £15 and the appellant's agreement to be bound by their decision. Nothing if not clever, these IAS people...but I'll do it for £10, if you're interested?

--Churchmouse
hcandersen

Since when?

If an 'appeal' was not made in accordance with their 'procedures' then IAS is not an option.

If it was, then as you are within the 21-day period a standard appeal applies.

IMO, there is no third way to be determined unilaterally by the PPC.
SchoolRunMum
2015 I think, was when they first came up with the idea:

...'look as us, we've invented a new type of 'IAS' service, even worse than the other one and it actually costs a consumer £15 to lose - and astonishingly, despite the fact that to any independent eye, it skews the usual established application of consumer law and meets almost none of the requirements for an ADR, we've managed to get this accepted as one':

http://parking-prankster.blogspot.co.uk/20...ice-hit-by.html

''The IAS have stated that for some classes of appeals, decisions will cost the motorist £15 which is non-refundable even if they win, and will be binding on the motorist.''

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5748204

They must be so proud.
nosferatu1001
Again, there are TWO IAS APPEALS.
The free one you will lose, but arent bound by
and
The £15 one you will lose, AND are bound by.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.