Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does a bank holiday count as a Sunday?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Parking Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
SpeedRebel
Hi everyone,

Please could you give me some help here...

I was parked in a Permit Resident Holders only bay today, with the time restrictions as follows:

Monday - Friday 8:30am to 6:30pm

Now correct me if I am wrong but doesn't a bank holiday count as a Sunday when reading timing restrictions with days on it ???

It is under this premise that I parked and unfortunately got a parking ticket.

Today is a bank holiday so was surprised.

In fact, about 1 dozen cars on this street have all got parking tickets...

Is this right?

Please let me know

Thank you all

SR
jeffreyarcher
If it says Monday to Friday, it means Monday to Friday. If the restriction didn't apply on public holidays, it would say so.
Ziltro
You might want to find out the purpose of the residents parking bay. Ours around here are alledgedly to stop commuters from parking (?!)
If that's that's the purpose in the area you were parked then you rlocal paper might like to know because the council are blateltly out to make money.

Have you checked that the lines and signs are correct?
SpeedRebel
OK,

for some reason I always thought that public holidays were taken as a Sunday with regard to road sign time restrictions.

I have never seen a road sign refer to bank holidays explicitly (like parking meters), but I did find this on the Wandsworth councils website:

'Time Restrictions in parking spaces do not apply on Sundays, Public and Bank Holidays...'

This applies to Wandsworth council, but couldn't find anything on the interenet related to my council which is Barnet.

Also, I do believe that the purpose of these bays is to stop commuters from parking. I myself actually live there and just happened to change my car this weekend for which I did not have a permit. I was going to get my permit today (Tuesday).

SR
peterb
QUOTE (SpeedRebel @ Mon, 29 May 2006 - 18:56) *
I was parked in a Permit Resident Holders only bay today, with the time restrictions as follows:

Monday - Friday 8:30am to 6:30pm

Outrageous !!

What Council is this ??
They may have parking restriction details on their website.

Funnily enough I was concerned about this enough to check my own Council's restrictions on Bank Holidays.
Yes, it's that bad you have to doublecheck regarding public holidays now !!

The restrictions in my area (Residents Bays etc.) do not operate on Bank Holidays.
The signs in my area do not mention Bank Holidays .

I suspect most Control Parking Zones do not operate on Bank Holidays & their signs do not mention this.

If the restrictions operate on Bank Holidays in your area, but signs do not mention this,
you may have grounds for appeal.

peterb

Ps: You were surprised.
I would be jumping up & down on the phone today shouting at those muppets !!
Mr Indignant
QUOTE (jeffreyarcher @ Tue, 30 May 2006 - 00:15) *
If it says Monday to Friday, it means Monday to Friday. If the restriction didn't apply on public holidays, it would say so.

I may be wrong but it is my understanding that residents parking bays are always in force or as displayed. If they state parking is only for residents then it is period.

Remember the residents will probably have paid an annual fee to park in their own street particulary on a bank holiday so anyone nicking their spaces ain't going to be popular

You lucky not to have been towed
peterb
QUOTE (Mr Indignant @ Tue, 30 May 2006 - 14:25) *

I may be wrong but it is my understanding that residents parking bays are always in force or as displayed. If they state parking is only for residents then it is period.

Remember the residents will probably have paid an annual fee to park in their own street particulary on a bank holiday so anyone nicking their spaces ain't going to be popular

Most Council restrictions do NOT operate on Bank Holidays.
It's a Public Holiday, not a dictatorship.
SpeedRebel
Just spoke to the top man, and it appears that they were adhering to guidelines and that they have the backing of ....(he mantioned some legal jargon).

Anyway, the point is not that I want to break the rules by parking in parking bays without a permit, the point is that I wasn't aware of the restriction applying on a bank holiday.

This is the difference, and I think that the council is exploiting the fact that this is not affectively communicated.

And we end up paying for it.
Wayne Pendle
The restriction does not apply on Saturday or sunday. The restriction applies between monday to friday 8:30am to 18:30pm, in other words, the space is not restricted unless within those prescribed times.

In other words, unless the bay was suspended or you were done for another contravention, they should not have ticketed you. What's the contravention code they have given you?
peterb
QUOTE (SpeedRebel @ Tue, 30 May 2006 - 15:04) *
Just spoke to the top man, and it appears that they were adhering to guidelines and that they have the backing of ....(he mantioned some legal jargon).

Anyway, the point is not that I want to break the rules by parking in parking bays without a permit, the point is that I wasn't aware of the restriction applying on a bank holiday.

This is the difference, and I think that the council is exploiting the fact that this is not affectively communicated.

What council is this ??

It cannot be Barnet as their restrictions do not operate on Bank Holidays.

peterb
SpeedRebel
QUOTE (Wayne Pendle @ Tue, 30 May 2006 - 15:20) *
The restriction does not apply on Saturday or sunday. The restriction applies between monday to friday 8:30am to 18:30pm, in other words, the space is not restricted unless within those prescribed times.

In other words, unless the bay was suspended or you were done for another contravention, they should not have ticketed you. What's the contravention code they have given you?

Wayne, there is no contavention code on the PCN, it simply states 'Parked in a residents parking space without clearly displaying a valid residents parking permit'

This thing is that it was a bank holiday (yesterday) and they have treated it like a Monday, whereas I assumed it was like a Sunday.

QUOTE (peterb @ Tue, 30 May 2006 - 16:42) *
QUOTE (SpeedRebel @ Tue, 30 May 2006 - 15:04) *

What council is this ??

It cannot be Barnet as their restrictions do not operate on Bank Holidays.

peterb

Sorry, not Barnet, I mean Brent.
Wayne Pendle
Right , so you got the ticket on the Monday thinking that because of the bank holiday the Monday would be treated as a Sunday, fat chance, never let a public holiday get in the way of the pursuit for cash. Sorry, unless you can find something wrong with the lines or signs (you most likely would be able toand it sounds like the ticket would be the first thing to look at), then they are within their rights to issue. They can make alot of money from ticketing on bank holidays. Remember, NPAS/PATAS have got to make their cut from each ticket, the local authorities need you to pay for the new plants in their heated/air conditioned offices, pensions etc, so no, never let a relaxing break from work, get in the way of the pursuit of cash.
peterb
QUOTE (SpeedRebel @ Tue, 30 May 2006 - 21:45) *

You've been done !!
As the conditions in Brent vary between zones on Bank Holidays, you must have signs showing this.

You need to carry a manual & map to enjoy a Bank Holiday in Brent it seems.
I guess the Council have to spoil people's fun !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Controlled Parking Zones in Brent
http://www.brent.gov.uk/transpor.nsf/24878...33;OpenDocument

Zone KD
Zone KG
Zone KM
Zone KR
Zone W
"In this zone when a bank holiday falls on a day which usually has restricted parking,
the restrictions still apply."

Zone KQ
"In this zone when August bank holidays fall on days which usually have restricted parking,
the restrictions still apply.
Restrictions do not apply on any other bank holiday in this zone."

Zone K
Zone KB
Zone KC1
Zone KC2
Zone KS
Zone MA
Zone MC
Zone MK
Zone MW
Zone NS
"In this zone when a bank holiday falls on a day which usually has restricted parking,
the restrictions do not apply."

Have the Council notified you properly as a Resident of the restrictions in your zone ??
Is the CPZ information clear or ambiguous on this issue ??

peterb
Ziltro
QUOTE (peterb @ Wed, 31 May 2006 - 00:10) *
Zone KQ 20/07/2005
"In this zone when August bank holidays fall on days which usually have restricted parking,

Oh I so have to see the signs they have erected for that one!!
peterb
QUOTE (Wayne Pendle @ Tue, 30 May 2006 - 21:59) *
Remember, NPAS/PATAS have got to make their cut from each ticket, the local authorities need you to pay for the new plants in their heated/air conditioned offices, pensions etc, so no, never let a relaxing break from work, get in the way of the pursuit of cash.

How about a game of croquet with Deputy Prime Minister Prescott on a Thursday afternoon, while he runs the country !!??

All aboard the gravy train !!

peterb
Mr Indignant
QUOTE (peterb @ Tue, 30 May 2006 - 14:32) *
QUOTE (Mr Indignant @ Tue, 30 May 2006 - 14:25) *

Most Council restrictions do NOT operate on Bank Holidays.
It's a Public Holiday, not a dictatorship.

Fine! but what about the residents. What about their right to park in bays they have almost certainly paid a costly annual fee to use.

Also be careful more & more council parking restrictions do operate during bank holiday & at weekends. Some councils even operate parking restrictions throughout the night.
Wayne Pendle
How about a game of croquet with Deputy Prime Minister Prescott on a Thursday afternoon, while he runs the country !!??

All aboard the gravy train !!

peterb
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Fine! but what about the residents. What about their right to park in bays they have almost certainly paid a costly annual fee to use.

What, pay an annual fee to use roads that they already pay for? 90% of residents outside of London have never had to worryu about parking previously, their roads may be deserted now but they have to pay for the privilege of parking outside their own houses.

If goes to show, what a screwed up mess, the drive to getting people on disgusting public transport and the pursuit of cash, has become.
SpeedRebel
QUOTE (peterb @ Wed, 31 May 2006 - 00:10) *
QUOTE (SpeedRebel @ Tue, 30 May 2006 - 21:45) *

You've been done !!
As the conditions in Brent vary between zones on Bank Holidays, you must have signs showing this.

You need to carry a manual & map to enjoy a Bank Holiday in Brent it seems.
I guess the Council have to spoil people's fun !!

Controlled Parking Zones in Brent
http://www.brent.gov.uk/transpor.nsf/24878...33;OpenDocument

Zone KD
Zone KG
Zone KM
Zone KR
Zone W
the restrictions still apply."

Zone KQ

Zone K
Zone KB
Zone KC1
Zone KC2
Zone KS
Zone MA
Zone MC
Zone MK
Zone MW
Zone NS
the restrictions do not apply."

Have the Council notified you properly as a Resident of the restrictions in your zone ??
Is the CPZ information clear or ambiguous on this issue ??

peterb

wow, i didn't find this info on their website although i did look.

the council haven't done a thing to inform residents about this and i have lived here fior 6 years
peterb
QUOTE (SpeedRebel @ Wed, 31 May 2006 - 08:26) *

the council haven't done a thing to inform residents about this and i have lived here fior 6 years

Disgruntled resident banging on the Council's door
-that's where I would start !!

"I'm a resident here, what the hell is going on !!??
What have you done to inform us parking restrictions operate on Bank Holidays ??
wub.gif Angry Resident jumping up & down".

peterb
SpeedRebel
QUOTE (peterb @ Wed, 31 May 2006 - 11:11) *

What have you done to inform us parking restrictions operate on Bank Holidays ??

peterb

That's right peterb, you hit the nail on the head.

And that's what I should do.

I think (I hope) I should have a good case too.

I think I am going to fight this one to the death...!

And lets hope that they have to cancel *ALL* parking tickets they have ever issued on bank holidays for the last few years...

I say that will be my mission in life (at least while I am living in this borough)!!!
peterb
QUOTE (SpeedRebel @ Wed, 31 May 2006 - 12:58) *
QUOTE (peterb @ Wed, 31 May 2006 - 11:11) *

peterb

That's right peterb, you hit the nail on the head.

And that's what I should do.

I think (I hope) I should have a good case too.

I think I am going to fight this one to the death...!

And lets hope that they have to cancel *ALL* parking tickets they have ever issued on bank holidays for the last few years...

I say that will be my mission in life (at least while I am living in this borough)!!!

It's sad.
I have no doubt you made an honest mistake on a Public Holiday, but now it's going to completely
pi** you off regarding your council.

But if you think the council will drop this easily, you are probably mistaken.
If you ask the council to cancel PCN as you made a mistake & are a resident,
they will probably not be interested.

I have been in exactly same situation, made a mistake, forgot to display visitor permit as resident permit had expired,
received PCN.
Council were not interested in cancelling PCN.

peterb
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.