Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: TFL charge certificate after I appealed
FightBack Forums > Queries > Council Tickets & Clamping and Decriminalised Notices
Coffee123
Hi all,

I received a PCN from TFL last month for parking on a bus lane during operating hours. I was there from 18.54 and as we all know most UK bus lanes are free after 19.00. So I thought I'd try my luck and appeal the PCN on the basis of a grace period. When I appealed online on my phone, the page refreshed itself. So I was unsure as to whether or not it submitted so I appealed it one more time. Again, the same thing happened; after I pressed submit, the page refreshed back to the appeals main page. I took a screen shot of my appeal and and i have it on my search history.

However, I have now received a charge certificate letter saying that 28 days is over and as I haven't appealed or paid the discounted amount, I'll have to pay £195 within 14 days. If i dont pay within 14 days they may take it to the county court. I have never experienced this. I usually pay all my fines on time and i always appeal on time if needed. As you can imagine, I was fuming. I called up TFL and I explained to them that I've appealed but they said they have no records on their system. He said i should ignore the charge certificate, wait 14 days for the next letter and appeal the next one. I really don't know what to do. It's so unfair of me to pay that much money when I've appealed it twice. If there was an technical error, then that's their error. Anyway any advice about what to do next would be much appreciated. And also if anyone has ever experienced this.

Thank you!!
Enceladus
You can't challenge a Charge Certificate. So wait for the Order for Recovery and submit the Witness Statement that will be enclosed. Tick the box that says "I made representations about the penalty charge to the enforcing authority concerned within 28 days of the service of the Notice to Owner, but did not receive a rejection notice". That should get the case referred to the Adjudicator who will likely direct that your case be heard as an appeal. The Adjudicator will expect some evidence that your really did submit a challenge. So keep your screen dumps safe.
stamfordman
TFL has given the right advice - all you can do is make a declaration that you appealed and didn't get a reply. This is one of the few statutory ways of resetting the process.

For future reference, TFL's online system shows the status of the PCN, so you could have seen immediately if the appeal had been logged.

As for the contravention, no chance.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.