Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Council issues PCN to wrong address
FightBack Forums > Discussion > News / Press Articles
stamfordman
This case in the Guardian raises a question I've had before - when a council requests DVLA details do they usually retype them, therefore often introducing errors in PCN addresses? I had a TFL PCN that has the wrong postcode but was right on the V5C. It only got to me by luck.

"I asked the parking officer what address they’d sent the notices to, and he said they had gone to number 285a in our road, when we live at 258a. They had also used an incorrect postcode."

By the way this is nonsense:

"The council has placed the blame for this fiasco with the bailiffs. It says they attended the wrong address – ie, not the one on the court order but your actual address, as if that makes any sense."

Tis the bailiffs job to find you...

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/oct/...threatened-fine
The Rookie
I think the council saw that as a handy way out the pickle they were in....
DancingDad
Is about the only thing the council were right on, bailiffs should only attempt to serve warrants at the address on the warrant.
If they locate the debtor elsewhere, they should get council to change the warrant.

Then it is a sad indictment that someone getting such a demand has no idea of the statutory process that exists via witness statement (or stat dec) and Out of Time request without resorting to Google. It always seems odd to me that virtually every other challenge or appeal right must be on various notices but that the TEC system isn't.
Although whether or not TEC would have accepted the OOT is another question.

Then an even sadder and much worse indictment on the council who acknowledged an error had been made but did nothing about it.
seank
Yes, I saw that in the Grauniad and made the appropriate comment.
Just what has happened to education in this country?
Nobody seems to know anything about anything.
stamfordman
So what about my query - when councils request a registered keeper's details from DVLA, how does it arrive and is it automated or rekeyed?
DancingDad
QUOTE (stamfordman @ Sun, 15 Oct 2017 - 18:03) *
So what about my query - when councils request a registered keeper's details from DVLA, how does it arrive and is it automated or rekeyed?

In this case rekeyed.
Don't know if that is common though.

Would have thought if it was we would see many more wrongly addressed notices then we seem to.
Incandescent
QUOTE (DancingDad @ Sun, 15 Oct 2017 - 19:27) *
QUOTE (stamfordman @ Sun, 15 Oct 2017 - 18:03) *

In this case rekeyed.
Don't know if that is common though.

Would have thought if it was we would see many more wrongly addressed notices then we seem to.

It is automated, but is no doubt just text, so a council employee has to transcribe it into their system. If cut&paste is used, as I suspect is the most common, then normally no problem, but where it is re-keyed there is the obvious scope for error, and one can be sure that nothing is checked at all, as all councils seem to be in a competition for an incompetence award
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.