Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: NIP received for previous car
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
tony3x
Hi All,
Received a NIP today for an offence committed on 9th Sept 2017 for a car that I part ex'd last October.

I have sent the form back ticking the box to say I no longer owned the vehicle with the details of the dealer that I used. One little issue is that the receipt has my private plate details on not the original plate of the car (that is stated in the NIP). The private plate is now on my current car.

Any idea what the process will be. ie. will it be for me to prove the registration was put back on the car or will plod get it from the dvla.

As a side - the offence was in Southampton - I live on the Essex East London borders and can't remember that last time I was in Southampton.

Jlc
11 months later is a long time ago... Something doesn't seem fully correct at the DVLA?

So does the NIP refer to your private plate or the original?

I presume before you sold the car you put the plate on retention?

QUOTE (tony3x @ Mon, 18 Sep 2017 - 15:42) *
As a side - the offence was in Southampton - I live on the Essex East London borders and can't remember that last time I was in Southampton.

Are you saying your car was definitely not there?
Logician
What documentation have you got to prove that your private plate was transferred from your old car to your new one?
It seems likely that either the dealer doing the transfer mucked it up somehow, that the NIP actually refers to you new car and you have forgotten going there or someone took it without your knowledge. Work out where you where on that day.
Lodesman
If you transferred your plate online then you should have a copy of the transfer on your computer.

The process should consist of two documents,
1. Application with payment details for a Retention certificate for your personalised plate and instructions regarding the registration number to be (re)issued to the old car.
2. Confirmation of allocation of personalised number to new car.

These will be dated and so should help.

If the dealer arranged the transfer (not a good idea as it seems to take ages for them to do it - much easier/quicker to DIY) then they should have the documentation.

I would also assume that the DVLA would have details of all transfers. The fact that you are still registered as the keeper is a cause for concern.

If the dealer mucked up the transfer process and did not actually transfer the number, then the new owner may well be driving perfectly legally. Don't forget, you never actually own a registration plate, you only have the DVLA's permission to use it on a specific car.

Finally, on a personal note, my wife received a NIP a couple of years ago regarding a car we part exchanged (after retaining the personal plate) 6 months previously, however it had a covering letter confirming that my wife had notified the DLVA that she was no longer the keeper but would she let them know to whom she sold the car (in her case the dealer). Replied and heard nothing further.
tony3x
May need to explain in more detail;
29th October 2016 I part ex'd old car for new car. Old car had private plate which I then put on retention and transferred to new car. Have retention cert and email from DVLA 12/11/16 to confirm that I have transferred the number to the new car.
Old car was returned to the original reg - this is the one that has been caught speeding.
I have also now found the scan of my V5 for the old car with the original reg and signed by me and dealer on 2/11/16.

I also have the receipt from the dealer detailing the part ex although that has my private plate as the reg of the car I part ex'd (before I transferred plate).

I am guessing that the dealer has sold the car and not changed the V5 or the sale has only just happened. If thats the case the dealer has had the car for sometime.

Feel a bit easier now that I have found my copy of the V5 signed by me and the dealer.
Jlc
QUOTE (tony3x @ Tue, 19 Sep 2017 - 09:39) *
I am guessing that the dealer has sold the car and not changed the V5 or the sale has only just happened. If thats the case the dealer has had the car for sometime.

I'd check with the dealer first. It's possible the change of details is in progress but the car should really have been marked as 'in trade' with the dealer and you would be a previous keeper and not a current one!

But with that offence date it seems extremely likely this is the 1st NIP so your details are still against that vrm.
The Rookie
We have had some oddities in the past due to cherished numbers, the police supply the VRM and get back the details, but they aren't cross checked against the photo.

Maybe worth writing to the Police and requesting 'photo's to help confirm the drivers ID' or similar, they will settle once and for all (I assume) which car it is.
superSmiffy
You don't need to bother with requesting images and other such horse-play.
Just write to the police explaining exactly what you have explained here.
Tell the police that the number is on your car in Essex and you have not been to Southampton on that date and time.
Give as much information as you can to assist the police and I'm sure all will be fine.
Jlc
QUOTE (superSmiffy @ Tue, 19 Sep 2017 - 11:47) *
Tell the police that the number is on your car in Essex and you have not been to Southampton on that date and time.

Eh?
superSmiffy
QUOTE (Jlc @ Tue, 19 Sep 2017 - 11:52) *

Eh?

...As a side - the offence was in Southampton - I live on the Essex East London borders and can't remember that last time I was in Southampton.

Old car had private plate which I then put on retention and transferred to new car.

gilan02
QUOTE (superSmiffy @ Tue, 19 Sep 2017 - 12:00) *
QUOTE (Jlc @ Tue, 19 Sep 2017 - 11:52) *

Eh?

...As a side - the offence was in Southampton - I live on the Essex East London borders and can't remember that last time I was in Southampton.

Old car had private plate which I then put on retention and transferred to new car.

Old car was returned to the original reg - this is the one that has been caught speeding.

I read that as the old car with its original reg mark has been caught.
Jlc
QUOTE (gilan02 @ Tue, 19 Sep 2017 - 12:08) *
I read that as the old car with its original reg mark has been caught.

Indeed. That vrm should either be in trade or with a new keeper.
tony3x
Just sent the NIP back ticking the box saying no longer own the car with a copy of the sales receipt that details the part ex and a note explaining the details re the reg number. Proof os posting obtained.

Thanks for the comments.
Jlc
Just the job. Hopefully you'll hear no more.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.