Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5 speeding tickets in 4 days for same camera - what to do?
FightBack Forums > Queries > Speeding and other Criminal Offences
Latinmeadow
Over the past five days I have received five separate notice of intended prosecutions for 5 separate speeding offences all within the same week. The speed limit is 30mph and I have recorded speeds of between 30 - 39 mph. The road is not in a built up area or has a high accident rate, on line research says the dual facing travello camera was introduced a few years ago following a single incident. I can only think that the tolerance has been reset. That said I have been speeding according to the law but don't know what to do. I drive all over the country with work and this is a whole cluster of infringements that is obviously going to cost me my licence. I need my car for work and also as a principal cater for my elderly ill mother. What are the likely consequences and does have anyone have any advice please.
NewJudge
QUOTE (Latinmeadow @ Fri, 15 Sep 2017 - 19:01) *
The speed limit is 30mph and I have recorded speeds of between 30 - 39 mph.

You would not have faced any action for 30mph. It is also unlikely you would have received any notifications for speeds below 35mph (the level at which enforcement usually begins).

You could write a begging letter to the police (or more probably Safety Camera Partnership) asking if they might consider amalgamating some of the offences. It is a forlorn hope but worth a stamp. Other than that you would normally be offered a Speed Awareness Course (SAC) for the first offence (providing you had not done one for an offence committed in the last three years) then three fixed penalties (£100 and three points) and finally a visit to court to face a "totting up" ban of six months. You can reduce this potentially to nothing by making a successful "exceptional hardship" (EH) plea.

With that in mind you may do well to decline the SAC offer and make your exceptional hardship argument for the fourth/fifth offences (as you will face the same disqualification for five offences as you do for four). To do this you must make sure that all your offences are dealt with at one hearing. If you do not you may succeed with your EH plea for the fourth offence only to face a ban again when the fifth rears its head and you cannot use the same argument again within three years. This strategy would leave you with a Speed Awareness Course "in the pipe" should you fall foul again.

Do not forget to reply to each request for driver's details within the time allowed. These must be dealt with whatever happens with the speeding offences.
Jlc
NJ has fairly comprehensively covered it - a totting ban will be hard to avoid. Start working on an exceptional hardship plea where the impact on others will carry more weight.

In the begging letter mention that you did not have the opportunity to rectify your errors before the first NIP arrived. (If you had been stopped by the Police it would have been different)

If it was a Truvelo then you should have noticed the flash if it was forward-facing?
Stoofa
QUOTE (Latinmeadow @ Fri, 15 Sep 2017 - 19:01) *
Over the past five days I have received five separate notice of intended prosecutions for 5 separate speeding offences all within the same week. The speed limit is 30mph and I have recorded speeds of between 30 - 39 mph. The road is not in a built up area or has a high accident rate, on line research says the dual facing travello camera was introduced a few years ago following a single incident. I can only think that the tolerance has been reset. That said I have been speeding according to the law but don't know what to do. I drive all over the country with work and this is a whole cluster of infringements that is obviously going to cost me my licence. I need my car for work and also as a principal cater for my elderly ill mother. What are the likely consequences and does have anyone have any advice please.

Just as an addition - if you do indeed have any NIP indicating a speed of 34mph or less, please scan and post it here. As above, I'd expect all 5 of these to be =>35mph
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.