Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motorway incident
FightBack Forums > Discussion > The Flame Pit
Pages: 1, 2
MFM
I drove behind another car on the motorway this morning who opened his window, emptied a can of drink which sprayed all over my car, then threw the can out of the window which hit my car at 70mph leaving a nice deep mark on my front bumper with the paint taken off.

I pulled up alongside him gesticulating to pull over but he just shrugged and sped off. Not only that, but I have probably never seen anyone with such atrocious driving skills. Weaving in and out of traffic without indicating, driving right up the backside of other cars and undertaking and squeezing into gaps where other motorists have to brake to avoid a collision.

I reported him to the police who weren't interested in the slightest. They just said to go through my insurance. I rang my insurance who said it would go down as a fault claim as there's little chance they'd be able to recover the costs from the 3rd party insurer.

What a just world we live in...
fedup2
Whats the whole story?
MFM
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 08:54) *
Whats the whole story?

What's the whole story what?
Fredd
In Fedup's bizarre world it'll probably have been your fault for doing something to cause the driver in front to defend themselves/driving too close to skilfully avoid the spray and can/shown yourself to be despicable by grassing up another motorist/some other work of fiction. I know, humour him.
whitewing
That's what dashcams are for. So cheap nowadays that it's a no-brainer to get one.
fedup2
QUOTE (whitewing @ Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 09:59) *
That's what dashcams are for. So cheap nowadays that it's a no-brainer to get one.

The problem with them is we get to see both sides of the story and more often than not it often goes against the poster who posts them.

If a can or its contents can hit you while travelling behind another vehicle my money is on the distance between the cars wasnt much.Maybe that was the message?
we will never know,that possibility would be far too bazar to even consider.

samthecat
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 10:27) *
possibility would be far too bazar to even consider.

Like this?
Fredd
QUOTE (Fredd @ Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 09:58) *
In Fedup's bizarre world it'll probably have been your fault for doing something to cause the driver in front to defend themselves/driving too close to skilfully avoid the spray and can/shown yourself to be despicable by grassing up another motorist/some other work of fiction.

If a can or its contents can hit you while travelling behind another vehicle my money is on the distance between the cars wasnt much

There you go. sign10.gif
Neil B
QUOTE (Fredd @ Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 11:10) *
In Fedup's bizarre world it'll probably have been your fault for doing something to cause the driver in front to defend themselves/driving too close to skilfully avoid the spray and can/shown yourself to be despicable by grassing up another motorist/some other work of fiction.

If a can or its contents can hit you while travelling behind another vehicle my money is on the distance between the cars wasnt much

There you go. sign10.gif

You don't even need a crystal ball !
The Rookie
Just to have read 2 or 3 of his previous posts.

I'm sure FU2 can come up with some blame on my part when the women reversed into my car when it was parked (and had been for 30 minutes) on the road outside my house (Yes I was indoors at the time).
southpaw82
So if a car is following too closely behind me (in my opinion) I can hoof something at it out the window? Magic!
paulajayne
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 12:15) *
Just to have read 2 or 3 of his previous posts.

I'm sure FU2 can come up with some blame on my part when the women reversed into my car when it was parked (and had been for 30 minutes) on the road outside my house (Yes I was indoors at the time).

Should not have parked it were it could be hit. laugh.gif
glasgow_bhoy
QUOTE (southpaw82 @ Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 13:12) *
So if a car is following too closely behind me (in my opinion) I can hoof something at it out the window? Magic!

Fedup might be coming at it from the angle that the other driver didn't intentionally throw the can out at the OP, but instead was just clearing out his car and the OP happened to be behind him. Had MFM been further back, he wouldn't have been hit.

Fredd
Just how big a gap do you think you'd have to leave to guarantee being able to stop or change lane in the event that something was chucked out of the vehicle ahead?
fedup2
QUOTE (Fredd @ Thu, 7 Sep 2017 - 21:41) *
Just how big a gap do you think you'd have to leave to guarantee being able to stop or change lane in the event that something was chucked out of the vehicle ahead?

Or you could ask how far do you think spray from a can would travel blowing in high winds? Or how far do you think an empty aluminium can would travel before it got to ground level and wasnt a threat to anything.The answer IS not far, and id certainly not be close enough on a motorway for it to have an effect.But im still sceptical that there wasnt a motive for doing it in the first place.Of course that wont be admitted here,after all we dont want to be upsetting the little clique.

My advice is to buy a can of pop and see if you can empty it out of a vehicles window and succeed in getting it much further than all over the window your poking it out of and covering the side of the vehicle.After that there wont be alot left never mind hit someone else following at a safe distance.

Maybe someone can video it,then we can ALL see the truth, but careful not to get the lense covered as it will blow INWARDS not backwards hundreds of feet.

DancingDad
Number of times I've bin behind someone on motorway... at reasonable distance and got the overspray from their windscreen washers.
Seems that spray from a can could do the same.
Back in my youth, opening a can out of the window of a moving car coated the screen of a following car, again he wasn't tailgating (but was annoyed)
If a can stays airborne, a car at motorway speeds is potentially closing on it at up to 70MPH, make a clang if nothing else.... and can/will bounce

Mythbusters episode 138 (March 2010) did some trials on cans and soda pop at speed and whether they could bust a screen with lethal force.
Yes they could break the screen but not with lethal force.
MFM
If a can or its contents can hit you while travelling behind another vehicle my money is on the distance between the cars wasnt much.

Quite the opposite. I left a bigger than usual gap because of the way the idiot was driving. Guess what, a can can fly quite a distance when chucked out at 70mph.

You are quite the special one. Lol

Actually, I've got a good idea. Why don't you drive behind me and I'll throw a few cans out(maybe a brick or two as well). We'll see when it stops hitting your car and then look at the distance between us?
fedup2
QUOTE (MFM @ Fri, 8 Sep 2017 - 07:46) *
If a can or its contents can hit you while travelling behind another vehicle my money is on the distance between the cars wasnt much.

Quite the opposite. I left a bigger than usual gap because of the way the idiot was driving. Guess what, a can can fly quite a distance when chucked out at 70mph.

You are quite the special one. Lol

Actually, I've got a good idea. Why don't you drive behind me and I'll throw a few cans out(maybe a brick or two as well). We'll see when it stops hitting your car and then look at the distance between us?

Like i said,tell us the WHOLE story! Its coming.......

MFM
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Fri, 8 Sep 2017 - 08:20) *

Only in your special little world.

Going to take me up on my offer?
fedup2
QUOTE (MFM @ Fri, 8 Sep 2017 - 08:36) *
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Fri, 8 Sep 2017 - 08:20) *

Only in your special little world.

Going to take me up on my offer?

so what was the 'idiot' doing?
MFM
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Fri, 8 Sep 2017 - 08:57) *

Read the first post.
fedup2
QUOTE (MFM @ Fri, 8 Sep 2017 - 09:39) *
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Fri, 8 Sep 2017 - 08:57) *

Read the first post.

I have but its evolving.....so tell us the Whole story........

"drove behind another car on the motorway this morning who opened his window, emptied a can of drink which sprayed all over my car, then threw the can out of the window "

" I left a bigger than usual gap because of the way the idiot was driving"

MFM
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Fri, 8 Sep 2017 - 09:59) *

"drove behind another car on the motorway this morning who opened his window, emptied a can of drink which sprayed all over my car, then threw the can out of the window "

No you haven't. Since you are incapable of reading the few lines in my OP, I'll go through the trouble of quoting the relevant bit for you... If that doesn't make it clear to you it's probably best you find another post to troll.

"Not only that, but I have probably never seen anyone with such atrocious driving skills. Weaving in and out of traffic without indicating, driving right up the backside of other cars and undertaking and squeezing into gaps where other motorists have to brake to avoid a collision".
fedup2
Sounds like you got your self into a little road rage to me and the result was him throwing objects at you.

Fredd
In Fedup's bizarre world it'll probably have been your fault for doing something to cause the driver in front to defend themselves2/driving too close to skilfully avoid the spray and can1/shown yourself to be despicable by grassing up another motorist/some other work of fiction. I know, humour him.

QUOTE (fedup2 @ Fri, 8 Sep 2017 - 10:07) *
Sounds like you got your self into a little road rage to me and the result was him throwing objects at you.

Going to go for the hat-trick? sign10.gif
The Rookie
Physics isn't it, a mist of liquid will easily hang in the air for the 2 seconds between vehicles, of course FU2 is a bit like DJT, science is only right if it agrees with his preconceived hunches.

QUOTE (Fredd @ Fri, 8 Sep 2017 - 10:11) *
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Fri, 8 Sep 2017 - 10:07) *

Going to go for the hat-trick? sign10.gif

I do hope you don't (have to) ban him, he's funnier than the joke thread!
fedup2
Ban for what suggesting that we havnt got the whole story? Take the blinkers off your high horse and its obvious to see that we havnt.

we have gone from man tips out can for no reason to the OP miraclessly being behind the vehicle who was ....

"Weaving in and out of traffic without indicating, driving right up the backside of other cars and undertaking and squeezing into gaps where other motorists have to brake to avoid a collision".

So far we have half the story,but still havnt got it all.I was right in suggesting there was more to the story and there WAS and still is.If folk want to ignore the facts then it bothers me not one jot.Some really need to grow up.

Fredd
We haven't "gone from" anything - all that is in the first post. For some reason known only to yourself you ignored that and treated it as news when it was subsequently pointed out. It's almost as if you're re-imagining the thread to support some threadbare theory...
The Rookie
Are you for real?

Just look at the sides of the Mway, they are littered with cans and bottles, you think they were ALL thrown as a result of road rage incidents and not just morons outing themselves in a different way?
fedup2
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sat, 9 Sep 2017 - 11:46) *
Are you for real?

Just look at the sides of the Mway, they are littered with cans and bottles, you think they were ALL thrown as a result of road rage incidents and not just morons outing themselves in a different way?

Ha ha keep on topic ............

How do you suppose the op managed to get behind a vehicle ......

"Weaving in and out of traffic without indicating, driving right up the backside of other cars and undertaking and squeezing into gaps where other motorists have to brake to avoid a collision".

And if you cant work that out then ask why you would be.Most wouldnt!

The Rookie
Ohh, that's tough, how about the guy weaved across in front of him.....really anyone with an IQ of over 90 should figure that one out!
seank
What a very strange thread.
An OP posts a legitimate question and most of the replies are focussed on having a go at FU2.
Most of his previous posts seem to go ignored, so I wonder what changed here.

To get back on topic, MFM, if you have the other vehicle's reg, why not pay DVLA £2 and get the RK's address?
You may be successful in a civil claim against the RK via www.moneyclaim.gov.uk
fedup2
QUOTE (The Rookie @ Sat, 9 Sep 2017 - 12:17) *
Ohh, that's tough, how about the guy weaved across in front of him.....really anyone with an IQ of over 90 should figure that one out!

Hopefully the op will come back and give the WHOLE story lol

Then nobody has to guess.Something ive been asking for since post 2.
Neil B
Once upon a time, in a fairyland far away ------
oldstoat
Re spray from a can from a side window and spray from a windscreen washer. I have to agree with FU2 on this, it is a simple matter of aerodynamics. Pour a can out of the side window, most will end up all over the rear door and window, because it is being poured out from a can. The wash liquid is being sprayed onto the windscreen and taken over probably the most aerodynamic part of the vehicle, Therefore, it is quite easy to see how a can emptied will not reach a car travelling behind, where as the wash wipe liquid will
Fredd
It will indeed be entrained in the airflow down the side of the vehicle, and turbulence where the flow detaches will spray some over the rear windscreen, but what do you suppose happens to it after that? Guess what, it'll splatter whatever's behind.
Tartarus
No where in the OP post does he say that the bad driver was performing these manoeuvres before or after having the can come at him. If the can was one of the first actions...
glasgow_bhoy
QUOTE (MFM @ Fri, 8 Sep 2017 - 10:03) *
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Fri, 8 Sep 2017 - 09:59) *

No you haven't. Since you are incapable of reading the few lines in my OP, I'll go through the trouble of quoting the relevant bit for you... If that doesn't make it clear to you it's probably best you find another post to troll.

"Not only that, but I have probably never seen anyone with such atrocious driving skills. Weaving in and out of traffic without indicating, driving right up the backside of other cars and undertaking and squeezing into gaps where other motorists have to brake to avoid a collision".

How come you were managing to keep up with him if he was driving in the manner described above?
MFM
QUOTE (glasgow_bhoy @ Sun, 10 Sep 2017 - 23:34) *
How come you were managing to keep up with him if he was driving in the manner described above?

I do find a lot of the questions in this thread bizarre. I think a lot of you spend way too much time on here looking for conspiracies. Makes me scared to post anything in the Speeding section if I ever need to as all the time is spent satisfying your own fantasies rather than concentrating on what was asked.
The Rookie
QUOTE (MFM @ Mon, 11 Sep 2017 - 09:04) *

I do find a lot of the questions in this thread bizarre. I think a lot of you spend way too much time on here looking for conspiracies. Makes me scared to post anything in the Speeding section if I ever need to as all the time is spent satisfying your own fantasies rather than concentrating on what was asked.

We need a thumbs up button!

As for fantasies, that's between me and the misses.
fedup2
QUOTE (MFM @ Mon, 11 Sep 2017 - 09:04) *

What did you ask?It seems to have got lost in the bullying.

Why not answer some of the questions YOU have been asked then folk can be properly informed to give an answer.
MFM
QUOTE (fedup2 @ Mon, 11 Sep 2017 - 09:30) *
Why not answer some of the questions YOU have been asked then folk can be properly informed to give an answer.

You mean make up answers to your strange loaded questions just so you can shut up already? Lol

You sure know how to overstay your welcome in a thread.
oldstoat
With regards to Fedup's post I can actually see where he is coming from

You post
I drove behind another car on the motorway this morning who opened his window, emptied a can of drink which sprayed all over my car, then threw the can out of the window which hit my car at 70mph leaving a nice deep mark on my front bumper with the paint taken off.

So question 1. Was that the first interaction with this other vehicle? I ask because you then post

I pulled up alongside him gesticulating to pull over but he just shrugged and sped off.

Which makes your next statement seem as if you had been interacting either by being close or just watching, whilst being behind. But your statement, begs the question, if his driving had been so appalling, how is it that you where still behind the car?

Not only that, but I have probably never seen anyone with such atrocious driving skills. Weaving in and out of traffic without indicating, driving right up the backside of other cars and undertaking and squeezing into gaps where other motorists have to brake to avoid a collision.

If this other driver had, and by implication, he must have been ahead of you at all times, otherwise you could not have observed his poor driving, how did you end up behind him? I presume you drove in a proper manner and therefore would have been left far behind by this idiot.

this idiot driver must, by their stupid driving, have made progress and increased any distance between you and them. So the fact that a can thrown from this idiot could have hit your car, must mean you had somehow (whilst driving perfectly correctly) kept within a distance that allowed this incident to occur
MFM
QUOTE (oldstoat @ Mon, 11 Sep 2017 - 13:58) *
So question 1. Was that the first interaction with this other vehicle?

I was in the outside lane and saw him coming up behind me, so moved into the middle lane to let him past.

QUOTE (oldstoat @ Mon, 11 Sep 2017 - 13:58) *
Which makes your next statement seem as if you had been interacting either by being close or just watching, whilst being behind. But your statement, begs the question, if his driving had been so appalling, how is it that you where still behind the car?

After he moved past me, I returned to outside lane and was behind him. At this point he was tailgating the vehicle in front of him even though there was nowhere for that vehicle to go. He then swerved to the inside line trying to undertake the vehicle in front of him, couldn't get past so moved back behind the same vehicle in the outside lane. Seeing the way he was driving, I kept my distance at which point he stuck his arm out of the window, emptied his can of drink and then proceeded to throw it out which then hit my car.

At this point I closed the gap and signaled for him to move over, which he did, which is when I pointed out for him to pull over. He obviously didn't, and then sped off in the middle lane and continued his antics. Just because I wasn't right behind him from then on does that mean I couldn't see the way he was driving? Also since it's a busy motorway he made slow progress and I was watching him for a good while after.

I really hope that answers your questions(fedup2 not included) as that's the whole story. Sorry there isn't a more dramatic twist fedup.
oldstoat
thanks that does clarify things and makes the sequence clear cheers you are now in fact changing your story.

original post stated the driver was

Weaving in and out of traffic without indicating, driving right up the backside of other cars and undertaking and squeezing into gaps where other motorists have to brake to avoid a collision.

This means he must be making progress in traffic because vehicles where braking to allow them in.

now you state

He then swerved to the inside line trying to undertake the vehicle in front of him, couldn't get past so moved back behind the same vehicle in the outside lane

They are mutually exclusive statements
Spandex
QUOTE (oldstoat @ Mon, 11 Sep 2017 - 19:00) *

Surely one statement describes his driving over the entire period MFM observed him, while the other describes a specific incident. He's saying the driver undertook on a number of occasions and on one occasion failed to undertake, isn't he?

I suppose it's possible that MFM is drip feeding us information because he actually caused the whole incident. But then it's also possible the whole thing is made up and he wasn't even in his car that day. It's even possible he can't actually drive and doesn't own a car.

In summary, if you don't believe everything he's telling you, why do you believe any of it?
MFM
QUOTE (Spandex @ Mon, 11 Sep 2017 - 23:56) *
QUOTE (oldstoat @ Mon, 11 Sep 2017 - 19:00) *

Surely one statement describes his driving over the entire period MFM observed him, while the other describes a specific incident. He's saying the driver undertook on a number of occasions and on one occasion failed to undertake, isn't he?

I suppose it's possible that MFM is drip feeding us information because he actually caused the whole incident. But then it's also possible the whole thing is made up and he wasn't even in his car that day. It's even possible he can't actually drive and doesn't own a car.

In summary, if you don't believe everything he's telling you, why do you believe any of it?

Yep indeed. I have nothing better to do with my time than make up stories like this. Oh and the nice new mark/dent I have on my front bumper was actually caused by me reversing up a one way street at 120mph where a polar bear was chasing me and caught up, round house kicked my front bumper and then had babies on my bonnet. It seems this would be a much more believable story to some of you.
samthecat
QUOTE (MFM @ Tue, 12 Sep 2017 - 08:10) *
Yep indeed. I have nothing better to do with my time than make up stories like this. Oh and the nice new mark/dent I have on my front bumper was actually caused by me reversing up a one way street at 120mph where a polar bear was chasing me and caught up, round house kicked my front bumper and then had babies on my bonnet. It seems this would be a much more believable story to some of you.

That would be a more interesting story, you could keep a cub as a pet! If you don't want it you could give it to me, I'd build it an igloo in the back garden and call him Boris.

I have nothing more to add.
southpaw82
This thread is bizarre.
oldstoat

The point I am getting at, is that at all times this vehicle MUST have been in front of the OP, otherwise how could he observe the bad driving, undertaking vehicles who brake to let them in. yet when the final manouver is made the victims car ends up directly in front of the OP.

If I was undertaking cars and forcing my way in I would have presumed that my car would be at least two or three cars ahead of the OP's, since I was already ahead of the OP, and had forced my way in front of other vehicles.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2017 Invision Power Services, Inc.